6 nations 22

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Re: 6 nations 22

Post by Dublin4 »

An extra reason to go for the corner on 70 was that a try would have given us another point. Even if the French came back to win.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Where was Conway in this match??? Totally anonymous for about 77 minutes. Hansen was all over the pitch. Conway went out for a bowl of moules. Possibly a result of Aki running into contact every time he got the ball instead of distributing.
Porter got through the work of three people but it was all predictable and one dimensional.
Furlong quiet compared to his usual high standards.
Why was Ryan picked over Henderson? Poor.
Doris not very composed, seemed panicked at times but did save a try.
JGP instead of Cooney? :lol: :lol:
Carberry middle of the road at best.
Aki was a big reason why Ireland didn’t score more. Tried to be billy big balls and take on the frog forwards. Didn’t work.
Keenan a bit quiet compared to usual good play.
Bobby B should have been on to add another dimension to Irelands attack.
Anyway onwards and downwards. England to beat them at Twickenham. Wales and Italy to beat them in the sh!tebox. Farrell and the FIRFU twats are sacked and my euromillions numbers come up on Paddy’s day.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dublin4 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:35 pm An extra reason to go for the corner on 70 was that a try would have given us another point. Even if the French came back to win.
Taking the three was madness if we had any ambition to win the game, but had we decided a matchday point was enough?, There was no chance we were ever going to exit successfully from the restart and get back into their half given the time on the clock.

Our maul was a relative area of strength, it would have been interesting to see a resultant lineout win and maul.

Ryan ultimtaely made the decision, however he wasn't the only one, Henderson was looking at him pointing at the posts before he (Ryan) notified the referee.

Did we go into the game saying we would take a 4 to 1 matchday point split?

France go to Murrayfield next, the Scots having beaten them in the last two Six Nations meetings. Then France head to Cardiff which on paper will be another close game, Wales having won the last 4 of 5 home games versus France at home and were narrowly beaten 32-30 in Paris last year.

Which raises the question, maybe its fantasy with lose bonus and try bonus and denying other teams bonus points to have the mindset of winning a Grand Slam at all costs. In the era of professionalism is it trying to eek out a Championship on winning your home games and picking up whatever points you can on the road.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Carberry was very predictable a shuffle pass or kick nothing constructive when I saw his elbow being scraped on 16 minutes I didn't think he would last the game

Murray was predictable and slow ( pass ) facing a defence marginally offside most of the game.

Ireland got ripped apart in the first half I thought we're looking at a 30 -40 point margin before the game finishes because the French were playing power rugby using the weight of their pack effectively to suck the Irish back row into the ruck and maul and quick couple of scores at the start of the second half and the confidence in the french faded .

Given the first half performance the scoreline flatters Ireland in my opinion a flukey 7 point try ( well taken but basically flukey ) because non of the french were claiming the kick off ball and nobody on the french side went for it ( which is a very rare occurrence )

wasn't that impressed by the ref the french forwards read him and exploited him IMHO.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Can’t judge on previous games. France have improved hugely and wales have gone into reverse. Todays result notwithstanding.
Was impressed with France’s fitness/stamina. I was sure they would be punctured by 65 minutes but they kept pushing.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

StandUp wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:46 pm Can’t judge on previous games. France have improved hugely and wales have gone into reverse. Todays result notwithstanding.
Was impressed with France’s fitness/stamina. I was sure they would be punctured by 65 minutes but they kept pushing.
Wales in reverse won today.

What have France won away from home?

Certainly can judge on previous games. Playing devils advocate.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Wales won in a turgid match against a Scottish team who completely wilted under the expectation. Their physicality was never in question as usual but there was zero sign of any cohesive game plan, instead relying on individual talent. This will come unstuck against better teams.
France have been improving steadily for some time now. It’s hard to say what their away form will be as they haven’t played away for months, but their traditional weaknesses of splintering under pressure and fading physically after around 65 minutes appear to have been banished.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Time will tell mon ami, they've won 5 Six Nations in total and none since 2010 for a reason
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

1st ireland game I have watched in a while. Very impressed by both sides. Thought France were going to pull away but Ireland seemed to lack the belief to go all the way. Both sides will be hard to beat at home but probably susceptible away. Intensity was probably what I was most impressed by.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:39 am Time will tell mon ami, they've won 5 Six Nations in total and none since 2010 for a reason
Different players, different coaches.
The stereotypical mental frailties may yet come to the fore, but imho they will win the championship this year.
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:57 pm
Rovi Snave wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:50 pm :banghead: Guys your being trolled - the name says it all - ignore him / her
Hence when I answered him early this morning, I quoted his name as "Godots bedpan's full of what bedpans were invented for wrote"

Seemed appropriate.
Saw that 👍👏😂
Finished
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

volvo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:47 pm Definitely agree with Dave and Merv absolutely no comparison, what message would it convey? that a lying female didnt get her way in court and he was found not guilty of alleged offence! hasn't stopped funding or support for the east Belfast football team whose player was found guilty of worse offences and his on field exploits are reported and praised usually weekly in the press and online.
See JD now being tipped to be called into N.I. squad Barraclough says it may "Divide opinion" but doesn't give a toss seemingly
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

There's a gulf between France/Ireland and Scotland/Wales. Not sure where I'd put Englnd.
As ATH said, Ireland still seem to lack self-belief and I assume that's what stooed them going for the corner near the end, and also for that insane up and under in the last minute. Where's the Leinster self confidence when you need it?
I'll not be watching the Itlay v England game. Where's the enjoyment in watching another stuffing for the Italians... although you might fancy their chances against the Welsh or Scots.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Italy are so poor it is ridiculous. It is surely time for a reduction to 5 nations or to hold a qualifying competition for the sixth place. So many schoolboy errors. Sir Clive Woodenhead thinks England are great. :roll:
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Hopefully they’ll be a number of changes for Italy:

I’d go for Lowry at 15, Keenan hasn’t been as good under the high ball as before. I’d love to see what Mike could create going forward with those fast feet against tiring forwards. Balacoune comes in for Conway, Hansen to continue. Henshaw and Hume in centre. Carberry at 10, I’d like to see what Casey could offer at some point. Timoney at 7, and I’d like to what what Coombes could do at 8. Sheehan to get more gametime.