Autumn Internationals 2022

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

allezlesverres
Initiate

Re: Autumn Internationals 2022

Post by allezlesverres »

Hume and Moore dropped from the Ireland squad by the looks of it. Hume can have no complaints - he had a tough day at the office. In his defence 12 isn't his natural position and the players around him were playing like headless chickens as well so it's hardly surprising he didn't shine. He needs to pick himself up at Ulster and discover provincial form to push his way back into contention. He will probably get a shot at the 6N even if only for the Italy game.

Very very harsh on Marty to drop him. He was one of if not the only "A" player to emerge with any credit after the NZ game. He was probably the best forward if not the best player on the field for Ireland. For all the plaudits Bealham got in the senior team, he was getting minced in the scrum. The only reason we got scrum penalties was because the ref was a scrum nerd and spotted SA infringements as they were powering through Bealham. Any other ref and those would probably have been penalties against us. The fact Farrell hasn't recognised he needs Marty is baffling.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Ridiculous. I feel terrible for Marty. Yet another Ulsterman not getting a fair crack. FIRFU.
At least he won’t get broken playing for arseh@les who don’t appreciate him.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Gavin Coombes from Munster was dropped too.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Coombes did indeed get dropped but it was fair as he had a terrible game.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Agreed, Coombes did not play well at all. Marty played very well.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Hendy back in the squad.

Great.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I had a look at Fiji vs Scotland. There were some brutal hits from the big Fijians. Hastings was hit (legally) so hard he was taken straight off. It will be a tough enough day for, presumably, Joey Carberry at 10.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dublin4 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:22 pm Gavin Coombes from Munster was dropped too.
Coombes was indeed dropped.

Neither Marty nor Hume were dropped because they weren’t in the squad in the first place.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

justinr73 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:20 pm
Dublin4 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:22 pm Gavin Coombes from Munster was dropped too.
Coombes was indeed dropped.

Neither Marty nor Hume were dropped because they weren’t in the squad in the first place.
From the A squad.
I thought the A’s had another match coming but it was the 20’s.
As spritely as Marty has been lately, I suspect his days of playing for the 20’s may be few and far between from now on🤣
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The last time Ireland played Fiji Joey went for and scored a weaving dart of a try early in the game -- he did nothing the rest of the match as the Fiji back row went at him two at a time --- He is a known number and I expect the same treatment this time round -- if memory serves he left the field injured.

Their game against Scotland shows they are much improved and not to be disrespected.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

rumncoke wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:41 am The last time Ireland played Fiji Joey went for and scored a weaving dart of a try early in the game -- he did nothing the rest of the match as the Fiji back row went at him two at a time --- He is a known number and I expect the same treatment this time round -- if memory serves he left the field injured.

Their game against Scotland shows they are much improved and not to be disrespected.
Does he not leave every field injured?
I had assumed it was in his contract.
Godots bedpan
Novice

Post by Godots bedpan »

StandUp wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:11 pm Ridiculous. I feel terrible for Marty. Yet another Ulsterman not getting a fair crack. FIRFU.
Farrell prefers mobile players, for all his undoubted ability in the scrum I don’t think you can accuse Marty of being overly mobile. The margins are wafer thin at international level. Ulster can cover for his relative lack of mobility, and plan around it, I suspect it would be targeted and exploited at international level and that has gone against him.
If you look back to the summer for me one of the reasons Ireland won in NZ was because of the poor defence of the NZ props. The amount of Irish scores that came from basic errors in open play defence from their props was a very significant factor in the winning and loosing of the series. Suspect the image of the big man isolated in defence, back on his heels and being left for dead by an outside back is in the mind of the coaching staff too when considering MM. His scrummaging is up there with Furlongs for sure.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Bealham isn’t likely to star in Strictly Come Dancing either.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Godots bedpan wrote:
StandUp wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:11 pm Ridiculous. I feel terrible for Marty. Yet another Ulsterman not getting a fair crack. FIRFU.
Farrell prefers mobile players, for all his undoubted ability in the scrum I don’t think you can accuse Marty of being overly mobile. The margins are wafer thin at international level. Ulster can cover for his relative lack of mobility, and plan around it, I suspect it would be targeted and exploited at international level and that has gone against him.
If you look back to the summer for me one of the reasons Ireland won in NZ was because of the poor defence of the NZ props. The amount of Irish scores that came from basic errors in open play defence from their props was a very significant factor in the winning and loosing of the series. Suspect the image of the big man isolated in defence, back on his heels and being left for dead by an outside back is in the mind of the coaching staff too when considering MM. His scrummaging is up there with Furlongs for sure.
He hasn't been watching him then, which wouldn't surprise me. His last game against Munster he was motm for the volume of tackles he made.

It is a much higher risk to have a prop who has scrummaging issues at international level.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Godots bedpan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:44 am
Every bit as mobile about the park as Bealham and TOT for my money.