Big World of Rugby

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Big World of Rugby

Post by solidarity »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63782112
A decent idea to speed things up but not a magic bullet.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

solidarity wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:11 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63782112
Do rushed scrums not just lead to more resets?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

BR wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:50 am
solidarity wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:11 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63782112
Not if you get them over quickly and punish misdemeanours more harshly.
Personally, I rather fancy one reset then toss a coin for who get a penalty for the next collapse where both sides are at fault or the culprit isn't obvious. :D :D
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

solidarity wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:07 pm
BR wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:50 am
Not if you get them over quickly and punish misdemeanours more harshly.
Personally, I rather fancy one reset then toss a coin for who get a penalty for the next collapse where both sides are at fault or the culprit isn't obvious. :D :D
It's a scrum - the culprit is never obvious! Unless it is clear to the ref that the blue loosehead is at fault - then the culprit is obviously the red tighthead.

I like scrums. The huddle ahead of every lineout, however, I could do without.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

This puts Qatar in perspective and says a lot about how the RWC 2023 was set up:

"Bernard Laporte, the head of the French Rugby Federation, got a two-year suspended prison sentence and a €75,000 fine after being found guilty in a trial over influence peddling and illegally acquiring assets.

In the same verdict, the Paris criminal court also handed top division club Montpellier's owner Mohed Altrad a 18 months suspended prison sentence. The court was not immediately available for comment.

Laporte was accused of undue influence in securing a role for his friend Altrad, whose construction company sponsors the France jersey. Both men denied any wrongdoing.

Le Parisien reported Laporte was found guilty of several offences including illegal taking of interest, influence peddling, corruption and embezzlement.

He will be banned from holding any position in rugby for two years, the paper added.

Next year's Rugby World Cup will be held in France from September 8 to October 28.

The verdict can still be appealed. "
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

If the French stick to form, he'll appeal and have the sentence reduced to a two week ban!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Campo is right on the money here:
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/i-dont-t ... aign=NEWSL
Rugby is no longer a sport, it's a business. Thus starts at the top and filters the whole way down to the grass roots.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Eddie Jones new Australia coach, Dave Rennie sacked. Deal till 2027.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Looks like Ireland rugby has won something this year: https://www.irishrugby.ie/2023/01/11/ir ... tive-year/
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Welsh RU has been under fire in the past week or so. Here's a take that sees a deep seated problem: https://theconversation.com/future-of-w ... llegations
While I fully agree that misogyny is completely wrong and should be tackled vigorously (at least within the new tackle guidelines!), I'm really not sure how to addeess the problem without making the cure worse than the disease.

By the way, the article note only one woman and one person of colour on the WRU board. The IRFU Committee has three women out of 24: one is a 'world rugby' rep and two are provincial reps (Connacht and Munster) and no people of colour. The average age looks to be about 120.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I'm a married man with daughters and to a large extent some might say a misogyist because i recognise a difference in the sexes and where sex is concerned I would admit that common sense advises not to trust woman and vice versa ." Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned"

I personally consider the demands of woman regarding sport to be excessive for several reasons

- the facilities especially major facilities like grounds and changing rooms etc are there because men spent large sums of money to provide them and most of the money in sport comes from the pockets of men .

I find woman commentators , commenting on a male sport , a pain in the ear for the simple reason they have no experience of male sport they have experience of female sport which is not the same thing .Enjoy the game ladies its your game but let men enjoy theirs.

I have great respect for women as women and definitely agree that its their body and thus they and they alone have the right to decide where how and who they may share their delights and they definitely definitely should never be subject to violence from men -- some can provoke violence - wind you up , know or fail to know the triggers -- -- but every man -- must resist the temptation and walk being drunk is no excuse -- walk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

solidarity wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:30 am Welsh RU has been under fire in the past week or so. Here's a take that sees a deep seated problem: https://theconversation.com/future-of-w ... llegations
While I fully agree that misogyny is completely wrong and should be tackled vigorously (at least within the new tackle guidelines!), I'm really not sure how to addeess the problem without making the cure worse than the disease.

By the way, the article note only one woman and one person of colour on the WRU board. The IRFU Committee has three women out of 24: one is a 'world rugby' rep and two are provincial reps (Connacht and Munster) and no people of colour. The average age looks to be about 120.
The only way to get off a rugby committee is death. Even insanity doesn't work.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Wonder if the Welsh crowd will attempt an unofficial rendition of Delilah the marra?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall