Ulster v Connacht

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Connacht

Post by Deraless »

Extremely disappointed but not remotely surprised which unfortunately says it all. We knew what was coming from a one dimensional outfit who play as a team and do the one dimension well. We played like we had a divine right to a home semi. We didn't cope physically and got what we deserved.

On Brace... he was gagging to penalise Ulster whether in defence of attack. To give away about 18 pens in 80 mins sounds like we were under the cosh all night. Usually the defending team is penalised but not tonight. Connacht were off feet, holding on and in the side every bit as much. One 3 pointer looked like he said the ball was out of the ruck, I think it was Burns nicked it as he waved play on then blew for a pen. When Prendergast "scored" he was straight to the TMO to try to find a way.

Anyway. Another season done. Most years I look back on a couple of glorious performances but not this. It will be remembered for choking against 14 man Leinster at the RDS, La Rochelle at "home" and 2 play-off defeats out of 2.

Good luck to RL who would rather go farm and to CG, a proud Ulsterman who I hope gets to see a bit of the world and a nice pay day. The cavalry isn't coming over the hill. I hope McF won't see out his contract when by all accounts he has lost the dressing room to put it mildly, but as I said tonight we could be coached by God himself and would still win feck all.

Is Billy Burns in the top half dozen #10s in Ireland? Discuss.

We are not brill. It's the hope that kills ya.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:12 pm
thecrouch wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:59 pm
justinr73 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:53 pm Can’t help thinking that a couple of you are glad we lost.

And watching on the tele no doubt.
You really want to try play this card tonight?
Yeah, have a whinge when you have a bit of skin in the game by all means.

What does an UR season cost you?

A subscription to Viaplay?

And I bet you cancel that during the summer…
:lol: :lol: "All is Well..." :roll:
Exterminate all rational thought
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

We're as one dimensional as Connacht.

Our game plan is simple. With a blunt attack we play around the half way line back and forth back and forth. We live in hope the other team infringes. When they do we kick to the corner and maul try.

How to beat us? Don't give us access to your 22 via a penalty, because we've no other way of getting in there. Keeping us out of your 22 is easily done if you keep your discipline and have an average defence. Our way less than average attack isn't going to get us into your 22.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

jean valjean wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:19 pm Hard to take but is anyone really surprised after this season? We were lucky to finish 2nd in a one team league. There has been zero progress this season from where we were last year and for that Dan must carry the can. Losing Payne, promoting soper and bringing in bell has been a complete disaster. The players haven't lost talent so the coaching must take the blame. Thinking players who are leaving this season will have the fight and desire when it really matters smacks of serious mismanagement and questions must be asked. Expect nothing but the usual platitudes; disappointed in our performance, we will take the learnings and come back stronger next season. Except we won't.
Our squad on balance will be weaker next season, as I see nothing thats bringing on our young talent, regardless of Kitshoff and Ewers.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

big mervyn wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:20 am
justinr73 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:18 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:06 pm
justinr73 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:53 pm Can’t help thinking that a couple of you are glad we lost.

Nah, I was there. I'm not glad, but if this clears the stink let's get on with it. Are you still one of the brill brigade Justin? :scratch:

BTW the crowd played their part- so all the BS about no 16 man- cr*p
Never posted on Bakebook in my life so unlikely...

It was an extremely disappointing showing. The fact that pretty much a third of the squad is moving on was a worrying look from the get go.

Not sure about the crowd tbh. Brace tried his best to stir things up.

It picked up towards the end but it was hardly La Rochelle or Clermont.
Who would you have started instead though?

Moving on or not, the prospect of a s/f and final should have provided some motivation
Agreed, they are professionals looking for a shop window, bar DV.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

When is the last time we've been beaten at Ravenhill by all three of the other provinces in the same season?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
bassbostoncup
Novice

Post by bassbostoncup »

justinr73 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:12 pm
thecrouch wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:59 pm

You really want to try play this card tonight?
Yeah, have a whinge when you have a bit of skin in the game by all means.

What does an UR season cost you?

A subscription to Viaplay?

And I bet you cancel that during the summer…

Most pathetic post of the season award
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Coming on here with your main concern being viaplay subscriptions reveals a lot. Is it merely a financial transaction? If you pay out a great deal to follow a side without natural connections, you have to justify its worth. A positive cost benefit analysis has no room for dissent. A person who, growing up would have given their right arm to play for their native province, may think differently about that pathetic display.

Each to their own. Everyone is welcome.

McFarseland out.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Sir Ivor
Novice

Post by Sir Ivor »

So the recriminations begin. I’ve never believed the hype I’ve read on this forum over many years about how Ulster should be competing for silverware each year - we rarely have a team that’s good enough, but our delusions persist. Anyone remember us having the best threequarter line in Europe ? Or the player who could be one of the top three in the world (if only he could run a lot faster, kick the ball better, catch it etc) ?
IMHO it would be more realistic to expect Ulster to finish in somewhere between 3rd and 6th position. We do not have the players; we do not have a player of definite international standard, though several who come close. One thing we should expect is more aggression and competitive spirit, especially among the backs who frequently seem to be boys against men. I suspect too many players have it too easy.
I’ll continue watching Ulster (yes on Viaplay) and hoping for the best but not rubbishing the whole club when we finish mid table.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Billy Burns is one of the best outhalves Dan has ever worked with.

Time both of the fecked off.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:15 am We're as one dimensional as Connacht.

Our game plan is simple. With a blunt attack we play around the half way line back and forth back and forth. We live in hope the other team infringes. When they do we kick to the corner and maul try.
I disagree - when we get a penalty, we give it to Burns to kick to the 22 at best. Maul goes a few yards, and our 2 breaks off and tries to fall over the line, only to discover he's still 15m short.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:05 am Billy Burns is one of the best outhalves Dan has ever worked with.

Time both of the fecked off.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
+100.

This team is going no-where with Burns at 10. He is really, really poor as a 1st choice 10. McFarland swears by him and so, he should try and look for a new job.

I don’t think many will hold him back.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Nice theory Dave.

To change the subject, but only very slightly, where do you lot get your armchairs from?

I’ve heard Whytes of Crossgar is very good?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Andy Friends comments on how they identified to go after ulster rucks out wide was telling. When a winger gets stopped often it is lowry first there who is a sitting duck for a counter ruck. All our 3/4s are poor at ball protection and if we do manage to regain possession it is slow and ponderous. Watch leinster today to see how its done.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:36 am When is the last time we've been beaten at Ravenhill by all three of the other provinces in the same season?
Maybe when Connacht won in the early 60s?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall