Heineken/Challenge Cup Format 23/24

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Heineken/Challenge Cup Format 23/24

Post by big mervyn »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:32 pm
Neill_M wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:28 pm Of the possible opponents, Ulster have never played Lyon and Bayonne in Top 14 and Bristol in the Premiership in the competition (to the best of my knowledge).
We played Bayonne about 10 or 11 years ago (and beat them away if I remember correctly), I think the only time we played Bristol was the Ravens playing them in the old B&I Cup. Don’t recall playing Lyon.
The Bayonne game was a preseason but was significant in that it was the first time Ulster had won on French soil.

BAYONNE 15 ULSTER 20 JOHN FALLON, STADE JEAN DAUGER

ULSTER: P Nelson; C Gilroy, J Payne, C Farrell, C Cochrane; P Jackson, B McIlroy; C Black, N Annett, A Macklin; J Muller, N McComb; M McComish, S Doyle, R Diack.

Replacements used: R Herring, R Lutton, J Afoa, L Stevenson, A Birch, M Heaney, N O’Connor, M Allen, L Marshall, R Andrew.

Ulster scorers: Tries: Heaney, McComb; Cons: O’Connor (2); Pens: Jackson, O’Connor.

Referee: R Poite (France).

Attendance: 8071
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Jeez.

That starting pack . . . . (Excluding Muller)

What French side were we playing that ONE time McCormish played like a man possessed and had the game of his life?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

So It Is wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:31 am Jeez.

What French side were we playing that ONE time McCormish played like a man possessed and had the game of his life?
Toulon away in 2015, he scored two tries. We ended up with 3 scrum halves in the back line by the end of the game.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Toulon away 2014/15

He was the only Ulsterman that showed up in the 60-22 defeat. Scored 2 trys
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:
Dave wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:35 pm Can we win one game and qualify for the knockouts?
With this format, it would seem possible to win no games and qualify for the knockouts!
Do we need a legal pitch?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:52 am

Toulon away 2014/15

He was the only Ulsterman that showed up in the 60-22 defeat. Scored 2 trys
Great times. From memory weren't we close for about 25mins then got blown apart? Probably didn't hang in there long enough for it to be added to our illustrious list of glorious "pat on the back for trying your best, you are still brill" defeats tbf.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Steak tartare before the game and a merguez sausage chip baguette afterwards.

Good trip, even if we were sold a dummy on where the game was going to be and ended up staying 150km away!
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Toulon?
Exterminate all rational thought
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

justinr73 wrote:Steak tartare before the game and a merguez sausage chip baguette afterwards.

Good trip, even if we were sold a dummy on where the game was going to be and ended up staying 150km away!
Like the style. Very fond of a decent steak tartare with extra onions. Had one in Clermont which laid me up for a couple of days . Luckily had got there early so managed to get to the match.

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Reminds me - I wonder did the hotel in Nice ever work out that we weren't coming.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

waggonsroll wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:30 pm
justinr73 wrote:Steak tartare before the game and a merguez sausage chip baguette afterwards.

Like the style. Very fond of a decent steak tartare with extra onions. Had one in Clermont which laid me up for a couple of days . Luckily had got there early so managed to get to the match.

Reminds me of the time I had to sprint out of the old footy ground at Brentford, with the culprit either bring a sausage roll from Greggs or a very cloudy pint of real ale.

Had to text the wife to bring me some more bog roll.

Ate calf brains in Lille once which I enjoyed although anus would have been more appropriate cos I thought the place was a bit of a brad pitt hole.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

justinr73 wrote:

Reminds me of the time I had to sprint out of the old footy ground at Brentford, with the culprit either bring a sausage roll from Greggs or a very cloudy pint of real ale.

Ate calf brains in Lille once which I enjoyed although anus would have been more appropriate cos I thought the place was a bit of a brad pitt hole.
I think I can see you there. Raw monkey brains in Cambodia and sheep's brains in Turkey.

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

waggonsroll wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:22 pm
justinr73 wrote:

I think I can see you there. Raw monkey brains in Cambodia and sheep's brains in Turkey.

All a lot more friendly on the oul' guts than downing a pint of :stout: at Trevor Brennan's bar.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Drinking Guiness anywhere can be dodgy. I was in an Irish bar in New York many years ago and the only Guinness they had came in green Babysham sized bottles. Orded a couple and the barkeep clipped them into a contraption that shook them for a couple of minutes. Needless to say it was probably the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. When away I usually like to sample the local brews.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

Bart S wrote:
waggonsroll wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:22 pm
justinr73 wrote:

All a lot more friendly on the oul' guts than downing a pint of :stout: at Trevor Brennan's bar.
I admit I went in once but only to relieve myself