2023 world cup

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bobbievee
Warrior

Re: 2023 world cup

Post by Bobbievee »

Agree. At this level and especially after that amount of squad line out training ng, you can't make that many years enforced errors
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

That many unforced errors
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

He wasn’t that bad and DS and RK aren’t fully fit anyway.

And even if you’re right and Faz ignores the years of credit Rob has in the bank, that means TS goes instead.

Mack was the right call for MOTM.

England were tom kite again. Dunno why Lawes is captain.

Has Earls retired yet? Stuart Broad showed him how it should be done.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

ITALY were a better side than England
Ford’s kicking from hand was bad none of the receivers were under pressure under the ball

Lineout failure is not always the fault of the thrower provided the ball is thrown off line . Everything else is timing and reaction .

Selection is going to depend on the mix and numbers for each position
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I was trying to think of an English player who’d get into the Irish side and Ford was about the only candidate.

Until Byrne eventually managed to ship a couple of passes out wide anyway.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

That only shows how bad England were if you thought Ford who was kicking away possession was the only player who could make the Irish side
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:27 am That only shows how bad England were if you thought Ford who was kicking away possession was the only player who could make the Irish side
Or how average Byrne was, particularly off the tee.

But England were indeed hopeless.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

This England side are so shyte it takes all the fun out of beating them.

I honestly got more pleasure out of seeing the "lionesses" outplayed the day. What is it with these stupid names anyway? Are the Norn Iron weemin the "Millies"?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

On Saturday's form, England could lose to Japan and Argentina and be on their way home before the end of September.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:41 pm This England side are so shyte it takes all the fun out of beating them.

I honestly got more pleasure out of seeing the "lionesses" outplayed the day. What is it with these stupid names anyway? Are the Norn Iron weemin the "Millies"?
Or 'Wee dolls'.

Nice to see the Spanish weemin playing just like the men. Lovely intricate passing but at the slightest touch from an opponent, falling in agony and being on the point of an ugly and agonising death until a free kick is given. The ref fell for it a couple of times.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Warren Gatland on Wales's defeat by SA, “There’s some easy fixes in terms of probably four or five of those tries are easy enough to stop and then all of a sudden there’s a different complexion on the game.”
This translates as, "We were rubbish but, if we hadn't been rubbish, we might not have been too bad."
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

solidarity wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:11 pm I fear that Rob Herring has played himself off the plane this afternoon.
Think Stockdale has more cause for concern. The huge fuss made by players and fans alike about Earls' 100th appearance has made it more difficult for Farrell to leave him out. If it's a close call, Farrell may decide that there's little point in upsetting Earls' mates in the team as well as supporters by picking Jacob. I hope I'm wrong, because I think a fit Stockdale offers more than Earls, but I just sense some momentum for KE now.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Stockdale 's place depends on the squad make-up does he pick 5 or six for the back 3 and to be honest the back 3 on Saturday against the English had an easy game, faced very few tackles , were seldom, if ever under pressure under a kick, and had walk over try's .

My own feel about Earls was he was picked for the England game because he was going to be left out of the squad having indicated he was thinking of retiring after the World Cup. I'm not to sure what the medics have told him about his proneness to pulled leg muscles and the possibility of injury because each time it takes longer to heal and longer to find fitness at 33 is it really worth the effort when Nash takes your place when your injured.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:47 am Stockdale 's place depends on the squad make-up does he pick 5 or six for the back 3 and to be honest the back 3 on Saturday against the English had an easy game, faced very few tackles , were seldom, if ever under pressure under a kick, and had walk over try's .

My own feel about Earls was he was picked for the England game because he was going to be left out of the squad having indicated he was thinking of retiring after the World Cup. I'm not to sure what the medics have told him about his proneness to pulled leg muscles and the possibility of injury because each time it takes longer to heal and longer to find fitness at 33 is it really worth the effort when Nash takes your place when your injured.
If it’s a 19 14 split, then it’s one from Earls, Stockdale, Stu and Frawley.

Can’t see them relying on JOB and Ringpiece as third and fourth choice wings which makes it a straight shoot-out.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Farrell might want to bring stu simply for the fact he knows he isn't a break glass option but is capable of playing against Romania and tonga without risking one of henshaw or bundi. Henshaw can play 13 at a push so 4 good centres is better than 3 and a jack of all trades like JOB.