Dan’s Not the Man.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Columbo
Steward

Re: Dan’s Not the Man.

Post by Columbo »

Interesting that on return to URC action, Dan Soper was rolled out for the press. In fact it’s been very noticeable recently that McFarland has increasingly been off the radar in comms, and Soper has been doing more and more - in the past McFarland has been squarely front and centre.

And it’s been even more noticeable that Petrie has effectively disappeared from sight as the season has progressed. All the more remarkable given his penchant for spotlight-grabbing previously… I had a quick scan through Ulsters news articles and I think I’m right in saying his name doesn’t appear in a single one of them so far this year - Bryn features in the BOI sponsorship extension, for example.. and the recent ‘business breakfast’ while there was a photo of him with a mike in hand, and while Jim Neilly, Willie Anderson, Dr Dave and many others were mentioned in the article, he wasn’t mentioned at all.. he last tweeted in July 2023.

In my experience in business over the years, when senior managers exhibit behavioural changes which result in lower visibility and profile, almost without exception they are on their way out in one way or another.
..one more thing
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I noticed that too. Post match Harlequins it was Soper who was wheeled out and he was doing the talking yesterday as well.

So much for leadership… perhaps McFarland knows he’s gone? Maybe even at the end of the season.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

If we win on Sunday be interesting to see who fronts up.
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

jean valjean wrote:If we win on Sunday be interesting to see who fronts up.
Ha ha yes well that would be interesting to see all right!
..one more thing
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Columbo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:40 pm Interesting that on return to URC action, Dan Soper was rolled out for the press. In fact it’s been very noticeable recently that McFarland has increasingly been off the radar in comms, and Soper has been doing more and more - in the past McFarland has been squarely front and centre.

And it’s been even more noticeable that Petrie has effectively disappeared from sight as the season has progressed. All the more remarkable given his penchant for spotlight-grabbing previously… I had a quick scan through Ulsters news articles and I think I’m right in saying his name doesn’t appear in a single one of them so far this year - Bryn features in the BOI sponsorship extension, for example.. and the recent ‘business breakfast’ while there was a photo of him with a mike in hand, and while Jim Neilly, Willie Anderson, Dr Dave and many others were mentioned in the article, he wasn’t mentioned at all.. he last tweeted in July 2023.

In my experience in business over the years, when senior managers exhibit behavioural changes which result in lower visibility and profile, almost without exception they are on their way out in one way or another.
His name is in one from the end of January.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Should have left after the Quins result, now another shocking performance and lost (& won’t be the last one) which will mean Ulster lose the cash of a home league QF in all likelihood.

Keeping McFarland and his staff is costing Ukster rugby a lot more money that getting rid.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Is he gone yet?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big-al wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:49 pm Should have left after the Quins result, now another shocking performance and lost (& won’t be the last one) which will mean Ulster lose the cash of a home league QF in all likelihood.

Keeping McFarland and his staff is costing Ukster rugby a lot more money that getting rid.
100% :salut:
Exterminate all rational thought
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

Is there still not the 6 month break clause in coaches contracts? Surely if they put Soper in charge till the end of the season and get a new coach then we wouldn't actually lose money?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Kanbei wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:40 pm Is there still not the 6 month break clause in coaches contracts? Surely if they put Soper in charge till the end of the season and get a new coach then we wouldn't actually lose money?
He’s signed a contract until the end of next season!!!
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

Big-al wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:48 pm
Kanbei wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:40 pm Is there still not the 6 month break clause in coaches contracts? Surely if they put Soper in charge till the end of the season and get a new coach then we wouldn't actually lose money?
I know but Erasmus and van Graan were under contract with Munster and left after a 6 month notice period. Fairly sure when we sacked Kiss we only had to pay him for another 6 months.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Kanbei wrote:
Big-al wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:48 pm
I know but Erasmus and van Graan were under contract with Munster and left after a 6 month notice period. Fairly sure when we sacked Kiss we only had to pay him for another 6 months.
I thought the 6 month release clause was if the coach wanted to leave? In which case the club only had to pay out 6 months wages despite the length of contract remaining. Never heard of it the other way around otherwise it becomes basically a 6 month rolling contract. The ball in is Dan's Court, will he have the class to fall on his sword? Then again why would he?
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Is it time to start up a ‘has McFarland been sacked today?’ thread?

Yesterday was also a very bad day for Soper, our attack started off poorly this year and has just got worse and worse, and I can’t remember the last time an ulster back line looked so toothless. I have a bit of a bad feeling that the ‘reset’ button that Ulster will try to push is to get rid of Petrie and McFarland and just replace with Bryn and Soper, keep everyone else in situ and add some other no-hoper to the ticket that would be classic Ulster and would probably lock in another couple of years of this dross
..one more thing
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

There must be an exUlster player who we can give the job to?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Jeremy Davidson?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten