Ulster v Edinburgh Friday April 21 7:35pm - Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Edinburgh Friday April 21 7:35pm - Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

So It Is wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:36 am
justinr73 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:23 pm
solidarity wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:49 pm Really glad we had these last three games - duff teams at home. I dread to think what would have happened if we'd had to face some of the bigger boys away.

Normally I'm sympathetic to the ref but this was the worst example of officiating I've seen in a long time, from all officials.
We’d beaten some of those already.

It’s not unreasonable to get to play the poorer teams at home too.

Second place on the log is good going and a big FU to some of the rubbish that was spouted after we lost a few games in the last couple of minutes.
So beating 3 duffer sides with nothing to play for, at home, irradicates our capitulation(s) in Nov-Jan?

My feelings at the time were that we are not improving and the gap between ourselves and the top-table of teams in Europe was growing. Stuttering to wins against the likes of Dragons and Embra don't change my view.

Also worth remembering that it took a massive performance from a terrible Munster team against the Stormers to put us in this position.
Saved me a post, SII. Likely 2 fully loaded Saffer teams to reach the final. Let's see how our Mentalist coach and team purges the urge to s#it ourselves and choke. Bulls opened us up like a rusty tin, as did Dragons.

BTW Moore is so not a 12.
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Edinburgh Friday April 21 7:35pm - Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

SUFTUM_19 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:41 pm Thought we were very poor until Stockdale’s try, but from then I think we settled down and did what we needed to do. Not a vintage performance, helped by some strange referring decisions, but got the win and secured second which is a big achievement.

The scrum seemed a bit hit or miss, we won a few penalties and then lost a few when Nel came on, but overall the pack was good. Treadwell + Vermeulen were outstanding. McCann and Timoney grew into the game well. Credit to Carter coming off the bench too, thought he made an impact.

In the backs Cooney was very strong, Stockdale is getting better and better by game, and Gilroy put in a really good shift as well. Concerning losing Warwick, Herring, Hume, Marshall, Baloucoune and Lowry within one game - never mind not being able to field a front row next season, it’s this season I’m worried about! currently Sutherland, Warwick, EOS, Moore and TOT all seem to be having difficulties! Think we finished the game with Gilroy in the centre and Timoney and Doak as our wingers!

Edinburgh are so frustrating, have so much talent and looked so dangerous for the first 20/25 mins but couldn’t keep it up. Would be a real top team if they were consistent. Kinghorn’s pass to Cooney was unbelievable, don’t think Cooney could believe his luck.

Overall job done, we will need to be a lot better for the knockouts but we seem to be emerging from the mid season rut at least and picking up a bit of form.
I'm hoping some of the injuries are prudence around managing niggles given the lack of medical updates
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Listen you lads are all probably right that coming 2nd should be applauded. You all probably have more skin in the game than I do when it comes to match attendance as well.

I struggle with the concept of being happy with 2nd place when there is no chance of coming 1st, but thats just me not coming to terms with the situation :lol:

But all said and done, I still think we played better rugby last season, looked slicker in attack, did the league double over Leinster B team and beat Toulouse in France. Despite coming 2nd in the league, I think there isn't much of an argument to say we have been better this season.

But kudos to the team for coming 2nd, I'll stop being a miserable git on the matter.
jacothelad
Novice

Post by jacothelad »

It really seems that Ulster won that game on the back of individual effort rathr than any discernable team strategy. 18 turnovers conceded. 26 missed tackles. Feck knows how many knocks on.
Luke Marshall's injury was caused by DVDM face planting him with his lefty hand while Luke was on the ground. It wasn't DVDM's elbow but the heel of his hand. Lowry was injured by an Edinburgh player recklessly bashing his head into Lowry at a ruck. Should have been reviewed. At least a yellow card.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

It's interesting how different people can watch the same game and form a completely different impression. Outside of Blair Kinghorn, I thought Edinburgh put in a decent shift and the game was much closer than the final scoreline suggested. I thought Ritchie and Watson were possibly the two best players on the park and made an absolute mess of our ball all night, repeatedly turning us over when we got into promising positions. That we had no answer for that, is my main concern. Vermuelen played well, but in general our back row was visibly outclassed.

Our defence looked to be a mess for the first 20 minutes or so, but seemed to sort itself out when Luke came on, whether that or just Ulster waking up after their try was the catalyst we will never know.

The other concerns for me are obviously the injuries, which we'll have to wait and here on and the fact that Edinburgh managed to completely nullify our driving maul, which has been our main weapon. Hopefully that is just a blip.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

My disagreement is not around second place, or generally squad depth ( apart from some key positions and obvious keepers next season) but with the coaching team and the lack of confidence I have in them in getting the best out of the players available. We may not beat Leireland, LAR, Toulouse etc, but to s*it ourselves at home to a poor Munter, away to Benetton, and Sale, as well as previous capitulations eg Leicester, Stormers, Glasgow etc, tells me what if the same squad had Cullens team- straight swap. Leireland would still be good but lessened, UR with the same players, significantly better.
We can be got at when the pressure goes on. See examples above. Mcfarlands reign has been peppered with them as well as record defeats.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:43 am It's interesting how different people can watch the same game and form a completely different impression. Outside of Blair Kinghorn, I thought Edinburgh put in a decent shift and the game was much closer than the final scoreline suggested. I thought Ritchie and Watson were possibly the two best players on the park and made an absolute mess of our ball all night, repeatedly turning us over when we got into promising positions. That we had no answer for that, is my main concern. Vermuelen played well, but in general our back row was visibly outclassed.

Our defence looked to be a mess for the first 20 minutes or so, but seemed to sort itself out when Luke came on, whether that or just Ulster waking up after their try was the catalyst we will never know.

The other concerns for me are obviously the injuries, which we'll have to wait and here on and the fact that Edinburgh managed to completely nullify our driving maul, which has been our main weapon. Hopefully that is just a blip.
Fair summary MR. Moore is a lovely player, but not a 12. LM is a warrior and was an international 12/13. Moore at 15 please. No real understanding with Hume ( unfair as he rarely plays there) but outgunned at 12.

Kinghorn was shocking- I thought Graham was a threat! Lol
Ewers will make a difference next season. But our groundhogs need work- not Timotee or McCanns game. Rea and Refell need work, and play horses for courses. One BR does not fit all- it's a squad within a squad depending on the opposition.

As I've said in previous posts, our defence can be got at. McCloskey makes a huge difference, as does Luke. If both fit, they're my starters.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

2 other comments- Gunners fluffed two nailed on tries. No comments here on that?

Stockdales resurgence is both welcome and gratifying. Looks like he's got his mojo back and making up for lost time. I hope Balacoune takes note. When they hunt for the ball together they are potent. Bobby, Jacob and Moore as a back 3 would be tasty.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Did anyone watching at home see why the try Edinburgh scored after Ritchie did a bit of juggling was disallowed? From where I was standing I couldn't even understand why it was checked.

Should have said as well, thought Treadwell was our best player, having the legs for that covering tackle so late in the game after all the work he'd done...
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

What changed for Stockdale, was it attending Ireland camp?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:24 am What changed for Stockdale, was it attending Ireland camp?
Good coaching & management from Farrell & Catt :lol:

He is like a player reborn since the six nations, if he continues his rise and form he’ll be challenging Lowe very soon.

Phenomenal athlete and player who we are lucky to have. Any side in europe would want a player of his ability in their side.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

We won the game, and got second place in the regular season. Huge congratulations to the boys for that.
Sadly, I think that’s our lot. I don’t think we will progress unless we play Connacht, and even then it’s a maybe. The other teams have too much for us, and will bate us out of our own park.
I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the dressing room last night to hear what was said. I can imagine Dan talking away and no one listening. The team last night did not appear to be a well drilled team but a team who won a match despite not listening to their coach.
Will next year be the same old story, or will Dan realise he’s lost the squad and fall on his sword? And who would replace Dan if so?
Would we be worse off losing Dan and signing some gobshite or keeping him and half the team ignoring him (which is how it appeared last night, but maybe I’m still drunk).
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

MightyRearranger wrote:Did anyone watching at home see why the try Edinburgh scored after Ritchie did a bit of juggling was disallowed? From where I was standing I couldn't even understand why it was checked.

Should have said as well, thought Treadwell was our best player, having the legs for that covering tackle so late in the game after all the work he'd done...
Apparently, you can't juggle without re-gathering the ball before you get it to a team mate. If you juggle it about and slap it back, it's considered a knock on. According to the ref. That's a new one on me.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:24 am What changed for Stockdale, was it attending Ireland camp?
Losing his central contract. Maybe the pressure is off.

He was superb last night in the air, he would have been my MOTM, played wing, fullback and centre during the 80 minutes, that takes some mental readjustment and concentration at any level never mind professional.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:22 am Did anyone watching at home see why the try Edinburgh scored after Ritchie did a bit of juggling was disallowed? From where I was standing I couldn't even understand why it was checked.

Treaders was a man possessed last night. Why can’t he play like that every game?