NEW BOSS

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Ball Boy
Initiate

NEW BOSS

Post by Ball Boy »

Shane Logan has been named as the new Chief Executive of Ulster Rugby.

Logan will take up his position in the new year in succession to Michael Reid, who announced in September that he was stepping down from the role.

The 46-year-old has gained a wealth of commercial experience in a wide range of industry sectors over 17 years.

He has had a lifelong interest in rugby, having coached in his hometown club of Bangor and played for clubs in three different continents.

Reid has continued as Chief Executive on an interim basis until his successor was appointed.

Logan's first senior position was as General Manager of Harland and Wolff shipbuilders, which was followed by his appointment as the Head of Coca Cola for Central Russia.

He is currently Chief Executive of the Royal National Institute of the Blind.

Cecil Watson, president of the IRFU Ulster Branch, said the recruitment process had "attracted a high level of quality applicants".

"Ulster Rugby is delighted to have secured the appointment of someone with such a range and depth of experience, and Shane will bring many levels of expertise to the position," said Watson.

"I look forward to helping all parts of the game achieve their full potential and to Ulster Rugby playing a leading role in both Irish and international rugby," said Logan.
For the razor blade was German-made
But the sheet was Belfast Linen.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Re: NEW BOSS

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Not really sure what to make of him tbh, I guess I'll wait and judge him on how he progresses things. To me he doesn't have a great act to follow. There are quite a few areas he could improve on quite easily like building the supporters club, getting more use out of Ravenhill in some form or other, being more open about the finances, marketing it better e.g. Ravens games, more merchandise, improving the game day experience. I guess one question I would have is how much control he does have?
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Lurgan boy

Like so many you identify performance indictators which are virtually nonexistant in the IRFU job description.

It is not his job to build the supporters club that is up to the members of the club he of course can assist to make that job easier up that is all he can do.

getting more use out of Ravenhill --- if you have any feasible ideas there are many rugby clubs-- golf clubs and commercial concerns would give you ajob to morrow --- and note the important word is not ideas but the word feasible.

It is not again his decision to be open about the finances that is a matter for the Irfu and I doubt if any other Province is better served in regard to the Finances of their Branch -- and to be honest it does appear to be an issue to either Leinster or Munsterfans.

Improving the game day experience costs money -- decide and state whether you want the Branch to finance better players to obtain better results or spend a small fortune in match day entertainment in the hope of an increased gate. IMHO gates increase more by better results than the provision of entertainment.

Ravens game crowds etc Lurganboy compare the gates of Linfield Swifts and Linfield then compare the crowd numbers at Ulster and Ravens games . ( and while the comparison of the games may not be total similiar the comparison of the teams is)

That the New man in the job has a PR task ahead of him is an understatement his performance can never be judged on the factors you have identified
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bogboy wrote:
Ravens game crowds etc Lurganboy compare the gates of Linfield Swifts and Linfield then compare the crowd numbers at Ulster and Ravens games . ( and while the comparison of the games may not be total similiar the comparison of the teams is)
horlix boggy, a Ravens match is more like one of our preseason matches except there is an actual competition involved, there were most of those players in the team that played Viadana yet UR failed to get a similar crowd and until they do get crowds similar to the lesser preseason match then they are failing miserably.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Perhaps the new boss should first try and rectify the problem where over the past decade soccer and GAA have extracted huge quantities of cash from various government departments for ground improvements, schools coaches etc. yet rugby has got or asked for very little, was it pride, incompetence or just stupidity that left us behind ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

If as has been suggested on here MR's control freakery inhibited the growth of the supporters club, how is it not his replacement's job to help grow it?

If I had any ideas about getting more use out of Ravenhill would it matter, because there is so little feedback from UR if I suggested anything would it really change anything? Shane needs to take as much advantage as possible in the asset we have in Ravenhill.

How is it not the boss's job to decide how open or closed UR is with regard to UR's finances, are you saying he can't disclose any of our finances and he is supposed to be the boss?

As Rooster said you parallel doesn't apply well on attendence.

Sorry Bogboy but reading your previous posts on here there are few I agree with you on.

I want to wish Shane all the luck with his new job, hope he hits the ground running and does a great job. Does anyone know much about him, how successful or otherwise he has been in his previous positions? I hope he runs UR with the common fan in mind, not the agenda of anyone else within UR.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Lurgan Lad wrote:Does anyone know much about him, how successful or otherwise he has been in his previous positions? I hope he runs UR with the common fan in mind, not the agenda of anyone else within UR.
forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=195703#p195703
It is the rumours section though so treat with caution :lol:
But as they say there ain't no smoke without fire.
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote: horlix boggy, a Ravens match is more like one of our preseason matches except there is an actual competition involved, there were most of those players in the team that played Viadana yet UR failed to get a similar crowd and until they do get crowds similar to the lesser preseason match then they are failing miserably.
The pre-seasons were the first matches in months, Ireland were not playing in Dublin and there was not more internationals on the TV than most people had time to watch. Apart from that, the pre-season team was officially Ulster the B&I cup team was not (and could not be marketed as such).
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

The Ravens are seen as Ulster "A" i.e second XV a realistic expection of crowd numbers maybe obtained by looking at the Ulster Rugby site

And while it is true the Ravens had a substancial number of Ulster capped players the "A" teams which played earlier in the season didn't

The timing of the Ravens matches being the major factor they are played during the ML closed weeks ie AIs and 6N thus providing an opportunity for players to remain match fit and also an opportunity to those on the fringes of the team.

it is also the first season for this competion and like all experiments may take time to bed in I can remember the time when ERC games were played in front of 3-5000

With regard to the Supporters Club It was not so much control freak as tunnel vision and the both sides could be accused of the same crime since it really depended on which side of the road and which direction looked from as to what you actual saw as the problem.

He may be the CEO but that does not mean he is not accountable -- he his but not to --- the ticket buying public.

The Supporters Club like many other things in life suffers from the attitude of fan who like any true Ulsterman wants everything for nothing. try and suggest that the membership fee should rise -- and duck.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I wouldn't be surprised if Ravens games get bundled into next years season ticket... as one of the justifications for an (inevitable?) price increase.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Not a bad idea Mikey. I wouldn't mind paying an extra 20% if they threw them in.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I would expect the season tickets to in exactly the same manner as this but maybe with a discounted bundle for admission to the ground as an optional add on
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

.Does anyone else think that the UR "press release" was either amateurish or a rush job and why?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

Does it really matter if it was rushed and exactly what is meant or implied by the word "Amateurish" if it means spin free then thanks be if it means with out a big fanfare well again thanks be

What do you want the new CEO rush to towards a press interview before he gets his feet under the desk a spout out a string of cliches -- so that everyone on the board jumps on him .

Its not like he is the Pm or first minster nor is he the CEO of a company employing 1000s he is an administer whose involvement in the Professional Ulster team may be minimal and restricted to providing a budget and account for its income and expenditure.
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

bogboy wrote: ...he is an administer whose involvement in the Professional Ulster team may be minimal and restricted to providing a budget and account for its income and expenditure....
And that in itself would be a hell of an improvement. I'll not be holding my breath in anticipation, though.
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"