Looks like Tommy isn't coming back to us....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterManiac
Novice

Looks like Tommy isn't coming back to us....

Post by UlsterManiac »

Bowe opens talks with Ospreys on new deal
By Phil Cadden

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

IRELAND winger Tommy Bowe has opened talks on a new contract with the Ospreys to fend off interest from his homeland.

Lions star Bowe has caught the eye with a string of outstanding performances since his big-money move to the Liberty Stadium 18 months ago.

Now Ospreys bosses are desperate to keep hold of the former Ulster ace, whose contract runs out at the end of the season. Bowe is a rare member of the Ireland squad plying his trade ‘overseas’ but Munster and Leinster are leading the chase for his signature to back him home.

Bowe, 25, said: "I’ve been putting it off for quite a while, but I’m starting to get back into negotiations. It’s not something I particularly enjoy. I prefer to get on with playing. It’s a case of leaving people to sort it out and then make a decision whenever I have to."

Bowe has enjoyed a dream year, winning the Grand Slam with Ireland as well as beating world champions South Africa. The flying wing emerged as a Lions star despite the 2-1 series defeat to the Springboks.

And Bowe has hit the ground again this season with seven tries in his last eight games, including one in the Ospreys’ 62-7 Heineken Cup win at Viadana last Saturday.

He added: "The past 18 months has been really positive. I’ve enjoyed the style of play of the Ospreys.

"I had a great time with the Lions which was a pinnacle of my career, but I enjoyed a great holiday to freshen my thoughts. It’s been a good start to the season playing with a team who enable me to get involved in the game and help me to enjoy my rugby. Fortunately, I’ve been able to get on the end of a few try-scoring passes, too."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... z0ZlZBYj5C
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Looks like Tommy isn't coming back to us....

Post by Jackie Brown »

Who knows at the minute. I would expect him to have talks with his club, Ospreys won't want him to leave!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Doesn’t mean a thing…other than he is talking to his current club about a new contract. He’d be an ejit not to.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I think Tommy's original contract with Hairsprays was for 2 years with a third year option, negotiations now are probably being based on that option clause so would not read a lot into it.
Seems he was cited for a dangerous tackle last weekend
Bowe cited after Viadana victory

Ospreys and Ireland back Tommy Bowe faces a disciplinary hearing following an allegedly dangerous tackle in the 7-62 Heineken Cup win in Viadana.

The Italian side's wing Kaine Robertson was on the receiving end.

British and Irish Lions star Bowe has been a vital presence for the Ospreys, his versatility especially valuable in an injury-ravaged season. The Liberty Stadium side will be desperate to retain his services for the busy Christmas fixture list.

The Ospreys host Viadana in a return match in Swansea on Saturday.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 414072.stm
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Can't quite see why the IE printed this today. Wales Online carried essentially the same story 5 days ago.

I guess his Agent has to establish 'market value and level of interest' somehow before advising further.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Post by the original kimble »

Sure he'd be a mug not to open negotiations.

It is what is called strenghtening one's bargaining position.

I think we'll see him back in Ireland, only question is whether he goes with his heart, (Ulster), or his head, (Leinster).

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.
Anyway, the only difference between me and a madman is I’m not mad….I think…

www.ursc.co
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

the original kimble wrote:Sure he'd be a mug not to open negotiations.

I think we'll see him back in Ireland, only question is whether he goes with his heart, (Ulster), or off his head, (Leinster).

tok
fixed that for you Kimble, you appeared to miss out a word.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Rooster wrote:
the original kimble wrote:Sure he'd be a mug not to open negotiations.

I think we'll see him back in Ireland, only question is whether he goes with his heart, (Ulster), or off his head, (Leinster).

tok
fixed that for you Kimble, you appeared to miss out a word.
Beat me to it rooster :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

.... or with his stomach >TM
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Post by the original kimble »

I'm the only mad one around here, don't you know?

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.
Anyway, the only difference between me and a madman is I’m not mad….I think…

www.ursc.co
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

You think he left here without any talks?
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

this is merely to keep the IRFU honest in his upcoming contract negotiation, and so that he understands his options..

The only risk is if the Os are absolutely desperate to keep him, they may offer him a massive deal..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

darkside lightside wrote:this is merely to keep the IRFU honest in his upcoming contract negotiation, and so that he understands his options..

The only risk is if the Os are absolutely desperate to keep him, they may offer him a massive deal..
To every cloud there is a silver lining, Tommy takes HUGE pay increase at Ospreys, Ospreys ticket sales continue to stagnate. Ospreys go bust. :lol:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cascade
Novice

Post by Cascade »

Has there been any move on Danelli's contract renewal, as IIRC it's up at the end of the season, that could be an indicator on UR/IRFU's intentions regarding Tommy and where he goes should he come back. The same goes for Horgan/Howlett contract status, all "premium" contracts I'm sure and players who's contract renewal would be somewhat related to the signing, or not, of Tommy.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Think I'd prefer him to stay in Wales rather than join Leinster or Munster.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
UlsterManiac
Novice

Post by UlsterManiac »

Cascade wrote:Has there been any move on Danelli's contract renewal, as IIRC it's up at the end of the season, that could be an indicator on UR/IRFU's intentions regarding Tommy and where he goes should he come back. The same goes for Horgan/Howlett contract status, all "premium" contracts I'm sure and players who's contract renewal would be somewhat related to the signing, or not, of Tommy.
Nagusa is out of contract at the end of the season so there is a gap to be filled there anyway....one would assume he's not going to be offered a new contract given the move away from too many foreign players....