First lady of rugby ?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Lanzaman
Initiate

First lady of rugby ?

Post by Lanzaman »

From the Irish rugby website:
Simon Barnes wrote a piece in 1985 about a rugby match that was played at Portora Royal School, in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland back in 1885.

The school was short of numbers, because the headmaster had just decamped and taken half the pupils with him. But they still got a XV out, and in the three-quarter line, there was the daughter of the acting headmaster.

There his piece ended, but some research by ScrumQueens.com writer John Birch, who runs the Letchworth Girls Blog, unearthed that the woman in question was a Miss E. F. Valentine who, together with her three brothers, set up the school team, in the face of some opposition.

Miss Valentine went on to become Mrs. Galway and emigrated to either South Africa or Canada.

For now it appears that the record of Miss Valentine playing rugby pre-dates anything else documented on the subject.

But, so far, the researchers have no idea of Miss Valentine's first name, and no photograph which is where they need your help.

John Birch said: "It's an amazing story because this is 1884 - Victorian Britain - not a time when well brought-up young girls would have normally been seen doing anything particularly energetic or sporting.

"If we think that prejudice against women in sport is bad now, it is nothing compared to what it would have been like then.

"She was clearly a remarkable young woman - and her story probably deserves to be better known."

Anyone with information on the subject, please get in touch with Alison Donnelly from ScrumQueens.com or John himself - contact details below. We are also interested in any other information on women or girls playing rugby from before the 1960s.

Email Alison Donnelly of ScrumQueens.com or John Birch.
Any idea Cables ? Not that I'm suggesting you'd personally remember that of course :duck:
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Re: First lady of rugby ?

Post by moondance »

Lanzaman, how deep is the snow on Timanfaya? :lol:

Wish I was there.

I have emailed John Birch with some further details.

Emily Frances Valentine, married into the Galwey family. Not surprised they couldn't find any details, looking under the wrong surname!
Lanzaman
Initiate

Post by Lanzaman »

Hey Moondance, the Fire Mountain chairlifts are open, but only the blue run is worth doing. The camels are in a confused state, but at least the fleece hoof protectors are easing the pain. The salt flats at Salinas are doing a roarin' trade :wink:

Well done on the history search btw
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

moondance wrote: Emily Frances Valentine, married into the Galwey family. Not surprised they couldn't find any details, looking under the wrong surname!
I am trying to get my head round her perhaps being circa 6 YOA in 1885. :scratch:
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

cables wrote:
I am trying to get my head round her perhaps being circa 6 YOA in 1885. :scratch:
I thought that myself cables, not sure who has got the date wrong. I'm certain it is the same person.

Maybe is was Mini Rugby she played?
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Also good to see that Portora was in "Northern Ireland" even in those days :salut: :salut:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

According to the 400 year Royal Schools book the first rugby was played in Portora in 1884 and the first match was in 1887 against enniskillen RFC.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

moondance wrote: Maybe is was Mini Rugby she played?
Or perhaps the whole story is myth/urban legend/ballix. :duck:
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
Could well be or else someone got the wrong dates given
Rooster wrote:According to the 400 year Royal Schools book the first rugby was played in Portora in 1884 and the first match was in 1887 against enniskillen RFC.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Rooster wrote:
BR wrote:
Could well be or else someone got the wrong dates given
Rooster wrote:According to the 400 year Royal Schools book the first rugby was played in Portora in 1884 and the first match was in 1887 against enniskillen RFC.
She wasn't there in my time - so I'm not much use. Think I have the same info sources as rooster.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pwrmoore wrote:
She wasn't there in my time - so I'm not much use. Think I have the same info sources as rooster.
And there I was thinking you would have remembered her :roll:
Rory Best
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

Glad to have helped a little with this.

It seemed strange getting an email from someone called John Birch, I was longing to ask him about Paranoid Blues :lol:
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
ashiyaa
Novice

Post by ashiyaa »

What are the areas in the United States where rugby is the most popular? Could you please list the places in the United States where Rugby is the most popular? Maybe the top ten states where rugby is most widely played?
Last edited by ashiyaa on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.