You know what? Could we have had a better draw?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bigchiefally
Initiate

You know what? Could we have had a better draw?

Post by bigchiefally »

This is a really really really fantastic draw for us.

Given we slightly messed up our qualification by not winning the group and getting a home QF I dont see how this could have been any better.

A Northampton team that is good but far from unbeatable, potentially not in their usual stadium? I'd take that over a lot of the alternatives. Northampton are a good powerful team but the Ulster pack are no pushovers themselves these days and should be able to match up well against teams them. After beating Bath away 2 years in a row and the Biarritz result our lot will go there with no fear at all.

Then a French team at home, neither of who are Toulouse or even in the top 4 in their league. Even if we played it at Landsdowne, we have to have an evens chance.

I dont think it is irrational one eyed support that makes me think there is a realistic chance of a final appearance that say an away draw to Toulouse followed by an away semi against Leinster/Leicester or a French team wouldnt provide. If we did get there, who knows? Any of the final possibilities would be heavily favoured over us, and for good reason, we aren't brilliant and some of them can be, but in a one off game...