Is Cave BOD mark 2?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Is Cave BOD mark 2?

Post by breakdown »

I think its fair to say that our centre partnership deserves special mention after, probably one of the best if not the best pairing in Europe. Although i think its even more fair to say that Cave really stood up for international contention, and he really does seem likr another BOD - minus the pace and arrogance. It seemed to be anything BOD done Cave could do just as well, some of the lines he took really where superb and his defence is magnificant. Really impressed by him.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
eoinsy96
Novice

Re: Is Cave BOD mark 2?

Post by eoinsy96 »

breakdown wrote:I think its fair to say that our centre partnership deserves special mention after, probably one of the best if not the best pairing in Europe. Although i think its even more fair to say that Cave really stood up for international contention, and he really does seem likr another BOD - minus the pace and arrogance. It seemed to be anything BOD done Cave could do just as well, some of the lines he took really where superb and his defence is magnificant. Really impressed by him.
definatly better than fofana + rougerie and bo'd + d'arcy. dont talk such shi'ite militants
STANN OP VIR DIE ULSTERMAAN
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Is Cave BOD mark 2?

Post by shamalicious »

Cave has really come into a bit of fine form since coming back from injury and long may it last. Should be fighting for the 13 shirt for Ireland next year unless the Superstar is picked ahead of him.

Paddy just oozes class. Puts his body on the line while also having slick distribution skills. Felt sorry for him the most today.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

It is a bit of a pity PW couldn't play like he does now and be 10 years younger!!
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I think it would be better to just analyse Cave without reference to BOD. I think it is unfair to any player to start by comparing them to BOD as they are doomed in such a scenario.

He is a very good player and he should get a chance to show if he can perform at international level. This is what we need to concentrate on.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

I think (hopes) there's been a few too many pints from the OP when he compared Cave to BOD :lol: He was very good today, though.

Agreed re: Paddy, though. Just an excellent rugby player (if, perhaps, a bit light at international level). Not rating Paddy Wallace for Ulster is a sure-fire way of telling if someone knows nothing about rugby. I heard some massively overweight monstrosity down at the Aviva claiming he was our weak link (I kid you not). Same guy claimed Afoa wouldn't be missed if he went back next season. Stick to the Ginsters, chubby :salut:
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

He still lacks a yard of pace.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

He isn't as good as BOD in a sense that he can get on the outside of someone to create space for the winger because of his pace. I'm still wanting to save BOD and Cave play 12 and 13 sometime though.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Comparison with BOD does nobody any favours - he may be a sneery wee ballix but he is still a magnificent player with a deep vein of experience at top level.

Our Darren on the other hand is a merely excellent player who's progress has been injury affected but could become a decent international. No shame in not being as good as the old barsteward, none at all.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Ok let's just clear this up, when I started this thread I wasnt referencing similarities in personality or experience or anything like that, just simply saying that how they play and the decisions they make in the same scenarios are similar, so really im only saying they have the same or almost the same rugby brain.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Cave is a cracking player at this level, was clearly our best player bar Afoa. Some of the subtle things he does were outstanding e.g. when Leinster made that break down the right from the up and under it was Cave that slowed it away down, preventing I think it was Reddan for giving good release to players running on. In terms of what he needs to improve while he is a great tackler and organiser of the defence I think he needs to work on his challenging for the ball on the deck, this is one area BOD is miles ahead of him on. Another which is probably related is his strength, he is quite slight and doesn't appear amazingly strong. Obviously he will never be a BOD but we are very lucky to have him.
UlsterJoda
Novice

Post by UlsterJoda »

Let's be honest, BOD may be Ireland's finest ever rugby player. Leinster won't realise how blessed they were to have him until he's gone.

Darren is a good player, he does a lot of unseen work and deserves a proper chance at international level. BOD will probably hinder the development of whoever Kidney deems heir apparent to his throne (personally, I hope its not Earls or that tool Fergus McFadden). Cave's defensive work is very good and he does have some flair in him. However, he was caught flat-footed by BOD a couple of times yesterday - no shame in that- but that explosive pace and change of direction is necessary at international level.

I'd like to see him re-develop his kicking game: from what I remember at youth he was a fine kicker (as was P Wallace), whether it is a lack of confidence or otherwise I'm not sure: having someone outside 10 capable of blasting it down into their 22 is a great tactical asset to any team, especially to allow Jackson's development at 10.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Cave is a good kicker, he made a couple of clearnace kicks but he doesn't generally need because Pienaar, PJ and Wallace are all good kickers
UlsterJoda
Novice

Post by UlsterJoda »

Fair point breakdown. I don't doubt that Darren is not a good kicker and appreciate that is not his main contribution to the team. He was magnificent yesterday. However, yesterday we did not kick that well excluding Ruan's penalty before HT. Probably nerves. Far too often we were running into a blue wall around our own 22 because we didn't have confidence in our territorial game. It doesn't matter how good Kearney is under the high ball if you find touch. In that scenario I just wish we used the centres to really attack with the boot. Still PW/DC had their hands full of BoD & D'Arcy, and ultimately, your 10 must dictate the game. If young PJ had nailed his first one he may have had a great game. He remains a fine prospect. Leinster were up so quick in defence even experienced 10s would have found it tough.
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

BOD is the greatest Irish player of the professional era and one of the greatest players the world has ever seen.

Cave is a good player and might make a good international someday but lets not get carried away.