Adam D'Arcy Hide and Go Seek Champion

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Adam D'Arcy Hide and Go Seek Champion

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Has Adam D'Arcy become the forgotten man of Ulster Rugby?

I thought the ethos of the new coach was to create competition for places and give everyone a chance to show what they can do. D'Arcy not everyones cup of tea but he is now a seasoned player with HEC experience. With Bowe and Payne both options at 13 there still has to be game time for Darcy at fullback.

Noticed he wasn't even picked in his favoured fullback position for The Ravens yesterday.

Is he seriously struggling for form? Maybe some Quins men can shed some light I see he has had a few AIL appearances.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Adam D'Arcy Hide and Go Seek Champion

Post by Snipe Watson »

is he not still injured?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

We need him getting some game time at FB as he's our 2nd best option in this position after Jared.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

He was injured for a fair while and has only just had an AIL game to get him started again. Would expect him to get a fair crack once match fit as we can't keep playi g Jared for 80 mins every match.
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bangorboy wrote:He was injured for a fair while and has only just had an AIL game to get him started again. Would expect him to get a fair crack once match fit as we can't keep playi g Jared for 80 mins every match.
Within reason we can actually. After a year on the sidelines he has to be fresh as a daisy. Certainly teh odd rest but essentially he should be good to go for almost a full season.

That said I am one who quite likes D'Arcy & wouldn't mind seeing him get some games. Hard to beat a bit of pace & an eye for a gap & he needs to play to improve weaker areas, whether AIL, Ravens or some 1st team games.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Snipe Watson wrote:is he not still injured?
No , and I reckon he won't be here next season, average player at best
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

I hope he is still here, can play some exciting rugby, and is miles ahead of our other 2nd choice fullbacks
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Not really fair to lambast the regime for not following their own ethos, when as in the beagle scenario they clearly are. We don't know all the facts but I've heard, not seen however, that Adam has struggled in AIL games he has played. Had a mare was the term used. Unfortunately he is prone to the brainfart in defence and he is still living off that one break against Clermont. A very popular player with many good attributes to his game but doesn't even look half the player Payne is.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Adam is a great wee back up player. At a push he can do a job in a home HC game, however, under presure away fromt he The Fortress he could be found wanting. Should get some gametime soon as Payne has played a lot of rugby. I'd give Adam a run against the likes of Dragons and Zebre at home. Who knows, with the new philosophy he may lift his game an extra 10% which would make all the difference.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:That said I am one who quite likes D'Arcy & wouldn't mind seeing him get some games. Hard to beat a bit of pace & an eye for a gap & he needs to play to improve weaker areas, whether AIL, Ravens or some 1st team games.
Yeah... he does have an eye for a nice line... but for me I keep asking myself - "do you really trust him?"

I just can't shake the belief he is a bit of a bombscare!
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Kofi doest rate him - that's good enough for me ... it's like when George Hook Or Hugh Farrelly say they dont rate Gilroy or Fat Nick.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Cornerfleg wrote:Kofi doest rate him - that's good enough for me ... it's like when George Hook Or Hugh Farrelly say they dont rate Gilroy or Fat Nick.
Thank you, :wink:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Who are the other options worth looking at? Nelson? Cochrane? Adam has had his chance, albeit not under the new coach and never made the position his own. To my mind if we are going to look at a back up it should be one of the youngsters who has yet to be tested at this level. If they don't come up to scratch then Adam gets another go.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Whilst I'd love Ulster to have Dan Carter with Aaron Cruden as back up, or Richie McCaw, with David Pollock ready to fill in during the AI's I think we have to be realistic about the level to be expected from our 2nd or in some cases 3rd choice players in certain positions.

In fairness to Darcy he has probably contributed more to Ulster over the past couple of seasons than most of us expected, given his pedigree when he signed. He has played a valuable part in a number of successes and whilst I agree that he's not the long term asnwer as 1st choice full back, this has been recognised. Can he do a job as back up, playing some Rabo games when Jared needs a rest? Yes, I believe he can. Not every team is full strength for every game, especially in the Rabo.

If Payne gets injured it would be a huge blow and yes, we'd probably have to rely on Adam. Yes of course I'd love us to be able to call on Israel Dagg, but sadly that's not reality. Even the great Leinster team has some backup players who are decent but not world beaters.

It's the same with some of the concerns raised about Heaney. At the end of the day he's our 3rd choice and we have to be realistic in our expectations of the level someone in that position is going to be able to play consistently.

I hope Adam gets a run out at FB in a couple of games as who knows when we may need him. I'd far rather have him at FB than stick one of our wingers there as B McL attempted to do with Danielli for a while.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

After coming through injury free with the Ravens I would expect to see him away to Dragons & Zebre!
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!