Glasgow - Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

namron
Warrior Chief

Glasgow - Ulster

Post by namron »

Glasgow can be a tough side at home but with an injury list as follows

Chris Cusiter – scrum-half
Stuart Hogg – full-back/centre
Ruaridh Jackson – stand-off
Rory Lamont – full-back
Sean Lamont – wing
DTH van der Merwe – wing
Duncan Weir – stand-off

It doesn't look promising for the Warriors. To add to woes Tommy Seymour is up on a citing this week and could miss the game leaving Glasgow with no wingers.
That said they have a reasonable pack ably led by A. Kellock and they will be praying for a thunderstorm come Friday.
The 5 day turnaround as oppose to our 7 day recovery/planning period an only help us.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: Glasgow - Ulster

Post by ruckover »

You guys are talking like it will be wet on Friday night - for all we know the sun could be splitting the sky all day! Unlikely though, it's Glasgow

Team-wise? I predict two changes, with Ferris and Williams returning for Henderson and McComish. Wilson may be back on the bench, but if not Henderson will get bench. I think MA will stick with Marshall. No reason to drop him and I don't think he will.

If we're to qualify from the pool, this is a must win game, but it's a potential banana skin.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

namron wrote:Glasgow can be a tough side at home but with an injury list as follows

Rory Lamont – full-back
Sean Lamont – wing
DTH van der Merwe – wing
Duncan Weir – stand-off
Are all these guys definitely out for Friday night?

Craigchalmers can you shed some light?
The King is dead. Long live the King.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

From the chat on the Glasgow forum it seems they all are. Definitely Cusiter, R Lamont, v d Merwe and Weir are out.

S Lamont, Jackson and Hogg away for scans today. Unsure about results although the aforementioned forum would suggest not good.

Tommy Seymour cited for tackle in Northampton game. Again, by the forum it seems likely he'll be guilty.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ruckover wrote:You guys are talking like it will be wet on Friday night - for all we know the sun could be splitting the sky all day! Unlikely though, it's Glasgow
Going to be dry and we get 4 trys :D :red:
Positive thinking yet again :red:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

kingofthehill wrote:
namron wrote:Glasgow can be a tough side at home but with an injury list as follows

Rory Lamont – full-back
Sean Lamont – wing
DTH van der Merwe – wing
Duncan Weir – stand-off

Apparently Jackson and Hogg will be fine.

This is Glasgows 1st HEC game at their new home. Anyone expecting an easy win will be in for a shock. Glasgow will be up for it big time, especially after their loss yesterday.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I expect there to be a massive traveling support. Should sound almost like a home game.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
craigchalmers
Novice

Post by craigchalmers »

kingofthehill wrote:

Rory Lamont – full-back
Sean Lamont – wing
DTH van der Merwe – wing
Duncan Weir – stand-off

Cus, DTH and Weir are - no updates being given today on yesterdays injuries. And a long time since an update has been given on Rory, but would be surprised to him him back this week.

Hoggy was apparently a dead leg, and not a recurrence of his ankle injury earlier in the season (which he had surgery for). So depending on severity, a chance he could be back. SLamont suspected broken cheekbone.. No idea on Jackson - seemed quite happy when we saw him outside the ground.

That is, however, only our abbreviated injury list... Can add to that:

Graeme Morrison - centre
Ed Kalman - prop
Rob Harley - back row
Jon Welsh - prop
Moray Low - prop
Pat MacArthur - hooker
Angus MacDonald - back row

And yes, that really is 14 players (13 of whom have international caps) who are out injured. Oh I wish we were Toulon right now...
craigchalmers
Novice

Post by craigchalmers »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:All out KOTH. They are talking about having 8 registered backs to choose from.

As for the weather ruck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648579

Five day forecast puts the heavy rain in the afternoon but things can vary.
The 8 backs is very much a worst case scenario - the way this season is going, I don't want to get my hopes up to have them dashed again when the team is announced!
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

craigchalmers wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:

Rory Lamont – full-back
Sean Lamont – wing
DTH van der Merwe – wing
Duncan Weir – stand-off

Cus, DTH and Weir are - no updates being given today on yesterdays injuries. And a long time since an update has been given on Rory, but would be surprised to him him back this week.

Hoggy was apparently a dead leg, and not a recurrence of his ankle injury earlier in the season (which he had surgery for). So depending on severity, a chance he could be back. SLamont suspected broken cheekbone.. No idea on Jackson - seemed quite happy when we saw him outside the ground.

That is, however, only our abbreviated injury list... Can add to that:

Graeme Morrison - centre
Ed Kalman - prop
Rob Harley - back row
Jon Welsh - prop
Moray Low - prop
Pat MacArthur - hooker
Angus MacDonald - back row

And yes, that really is 14 players (13 of whom have international caps) who are out injured. Oh I wish we were Toulon right now...
That's a shocking amount of injuries.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

No offence to Glasgow, their fans, their staff or their injured players, but if we don't win then I'll be badly disappointed.

I hope as many of the Glasgow players are available as possible to play us, I really do. I hate seeing players injured. Hope they all return as soon as possible.

But if we can't beat a team missing 14 players with our full team, then that's a problem.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

ruckover wrote:No offence to Glasgow, their fans, their staff or their injured players, but if we don't win then I'll be badly disappointed.

I hope as many of the Glasgow players are available as possible to play us, I really do. I hate seeing players injured. Hope they all return as soon as possible.

But if we can't beat a team missing 14 players with our full team, then that's a problem.
I agree with ruck, no disrespect to Glasgow but this is a game we have to win. I'm sure the cowboy has had this one targeted since the groups were announced. Hope they can do us a favour against both Castre and Northampton at home.
Last edited by Jackie Brown on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Tenyarder
Novice

Post by Tenyarder »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:In a way, if I was Townsend I'd be looking at the injuries and saying to myself that it limits our game plan so we will be a pain in the ar$e at the breakdown and kick our pens and bury Ulster in the mud. Could well be a plan that suits.
LKOTP - I've been watching Glasgow for years now and that is the only game plan they know with or without injuries. They are, and will be, a dour wee team, and will grind out their points. At least we are unlikely to give them a 15 point lead.

Rain or shine I think we will win. The bonus point may be beyond us.

At least we are not playing on the sandpit at Patrick Thistle.
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

ruckover wrote: I hope as many of the Glasgow players are available as possible to play us, I really do. I hate seeing players injured. Hope they all return as soon as possible.
:salut: with you 100%
rakem
Novice

Post by rakem »

anyone think this could be smoke and mirrors? ie 1f in reverse, where we managed to keep his injury under wraps. maybe their injury list will miraculously shorten by kick off...