What a Roller Coaster Ride This Season Has Been.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

What a Roller Coaster Ride This Season Has Been.

Post by bootlaced »

48 players used this season some great new players discovered,,some amazing rugby played,some great wins,some poor defeats mind you.It will be a long off season.But I am more than confident that next year Silverware will come our way.Onwards and Upwards.I am so proud to be an Ulster Rugby supporter.Standing Up for Management ,Coaches, Staff and Players and more importantly the fans who travel and support the team thru thick and thin. :salut: >clapping :red: :fleg:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
outsider
Novice

Re: What a Roller Coaster Ride This Season Has Been.

Post by outsider »

Up to Christmas I truly believed we were the best side in Europe. Slipped a bit in the latter half of the season, but if we can get rid of the discipline issues and learn to be more ruthless it can still be a good year next year
caledoniancelt
Initiate

Post by caledoniancelt »

bootlaced wrote:48 players used this season some great new players discovered,,some amazing rugby played,some great wins,some poor defeats mind you.It will be a long off season.But I am more than confident that next year Silverware will come our way.Onwards and Upwards.I am so proud to be an Ulster Rugby supporter.Standing Up for Management ,Coaches, Staff and Players and more importantly the fans who travel and support the team thru thick and thin. :salut: >clapping :red: :fleg:

+1 very very proud of our squad :cheers: :red: :cheers: :red: :fleg:
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

No escaping that the final verdict must be that it has been very disappointing in the outcomes. Failure to deliver when it matters most every time. Gallant losers again. Not good enough to win anything.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I am disappointed and delighted with our season.

I am disappointed because, despite our runaway lead, our great rugby and our unbeaten run, we could not capitalise when it really mattered (Saints (H), Saracens, Leinster final) and in the end we have finished trophyless when really I feel we deserved something for our efforts. I have said from a long time ago that I would accept either two finals, or one trophy, and we achieved neither. Disappointed.

On the other hand, I am delighted because we have progressed immensely. Reaching the Rabo final I think proves how far our squad has come in comparison to reaching the Heineken final which proves we have a strong 1st 15. Leinster pride themselves on having a squad that is 50-strong that they can rotate and rest as they will and still be competitive. We are slowly getting there, as players like Allen, Olding and Nelson have proved. In a couple of years they will have matured massively and we will be able to be in a Leinster position. Just remember, Leinster themselves went through 2/3 years of losing finals before they finally sealed their first win. All is not lost.

Onwards and upwards I say :red:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
tommyblue
Novice

Post by tommyblue »

What a season. Absolutely drained/hammered.

We will continue to stand up for nevin. Onward.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Another year where we didn't quite make it. This is what both Munster and Leinster went through, doesn't make it any less painful, but it looks like this is what we need to happen to get over the line.
ulsterfryer
Novice

Post by ulsterfryer »

Although huge disappointment at the big day losses, it's been a cracking year of rugby with the biggest surprise later in the season being the fact that we may have some decent Ulster born props in the wings.
With close defeat leaving grit in the teeth, we'll hopefully be pushed on. Munster and Leinster bided their time and it steeled them to greater things. Apart from the top 2 French teams and Leinster, On the big days i feel we should win comfortably and on our day can take any of those 3.
With no major retirees and 2 new stands, If we have a season without major injuries, with the Jacksons, Oldings, Farrells, Hendersons, and marshalls coming on, I don't think I'm daft in thinking it can only get better.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

You know with Henderson and Olding this year, you really have to wonder what the academy is going to churn out next season! (Only hint I've heard is that there's on the horizon a fella called big Andy worth watching)
davejohnston
Initiate

Post by davejohnston »

After that season I'm almost tempted to get a season ticket. Can't wait to the kids are a bit older and I really can !
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We are eating at the top table of European rugby and are a force to be reckoned with at home and away. We need to learn to play a bit smarter and add that extra 5% in a few areas and we will get the job done. Last season was good. This season was a even better and but for the injury crisis............. well who knows. :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Good thread Boot
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Good season, progress has been made without doubt, at the same time incredibly disappointing. The lads need a good break and come back, learn to be a bit more clinical and cut out the penalties and hopefully things will improve

On a side note, in 2/3 years time the HEC is ours for the winning - Leinster surely will be in decline with Cullen, BOD, Sexton all left and Schmidt leaving also, and 'Johnny Wilkinsons Toulon' will just be 'Toulon', he has to retire sometime soon, and without him I really can't see them being half as competitive.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

You're right BD, but I would back Leinster to come back beyond Schmidt. Obviously not as good as before but they'll still be competitive. Don't forget about Clermont too, they'll always be competitive - they've got so much talent in their ranks. But I do agree, in 2/3 years we'll definitely be one of the front runners for the Heineken Cup.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Look at the spine of Clermonts team - Hines (36), Bonnaire (34), Vosloo (34), James (31), Rougerie (32), Bryne (32), Sivivatu (31) so there are a lot of aging players in there, and talk of Cotter taking the Scotland job. Obviously there's the likes of Fofana and Parra who are early 20's and they have the funds to buy world class players but after the current crop go Im not convinced they will be back, for me the team they have compliment each other extremely well, something not all teams have. The only thing they lacked was the winning mentality during pressure periods.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

season highs
- going unbeaten for an age
- N'ton away
- leinster home and away
- rabo semi-final
- olding and hendo
- bowe's return
- williams week in, week out

season lows
- Nev RIP
- Besty not getting picked for Lions
- injury hell since november
- Afoa's coming and goings
- 1F comings and goings
- Sarries away
- Clancy...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'