The Academy[2013-2014]

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bayern
Steward

The Academy[2013-2014]

Post by Bayern »

Prop
Andrew Warwick[23]
Kyle McCall[22]
Chris Taylor[21]
Hooker
Jonny Murphy[22]
John Andrew[21]
Second Row
James Simpson[23]
Alan O'Connor[21]
John Donnan[21]
Backrow
Conor Joyce[21]
Frankie Taggart[20]
Lorcan Dow[19]
Scrumhalf
Dave Shanahan[21]
Outhalf
Centre

Stuart McCluskey[22]
Back Three
Rory Scholes[21]

Correct me if I am wrong but is this accurate as of today?
Last edited by Bayern on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red
Novice

Re: The Academy[2013-2014]

Post by Red »

Do we know if there any more gems coming out the youth ranks like Olding, Henderson and Jackson?

We've been spoilt recently and I've heard of some of them like Scholes and Joyce, both are talked about, but it feels much less so than Henderson and Olding we're say 2 years ago.

Obviously it's impossible to predict how any of the lads' careers will pan out but you generally can get a sense fairly early on if they're going to be the next Ferris or Richie McCaw or if they're aiming more for being being an excellent club player like say Darren Cave or Leo Cullen (though none of us hope that any of them are that ugly - Cullen, not Cave obviously).

Anyone know what we're looking like in the 16-19 bracket for backs and 18-22 bracket for forwards?
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Red wrote:Do we know if there any more gems coming out the youth ranks like Olding, Henderson and Jackson?

We've been spoilt recently and I've heard of some of them like Scholes and Joyce, both are talked about, but it feels much less so than Henderson and Olding we're say 2 years ago.

Obviously it's impossible to predict how any of the lads' careers will pan out but you generally can get a sense fairly early on if they're going to be the next Ferris or Richie McCaw or if they're aiming more for being being an excellent club player like say Darren Cave or Leo Cullen (though none of us hope that any of them are that ugly - Cullen, not Cave obviously).

Anyone know what we're looking like in the 16-19 bracket for backs and 18-22 bracket for forwards?
Now don't take my word for it as i've only seen these kids play for Ireland under age teams on tv the odd time and not with the clubs in and around Ulster. But of those listed, the one's who I thought looked great prospects were:

Chris Taylor, completely destroyed every prop he went up against in the last under age world cup in France. He even had the All Black scrum going backwards, looked a great prop.

Kyle McCall, only watched him with his game time for Ulster but he never looked out of place, another good prop prospect.

John Donnan, another of Ireland's leading players at the under 20 world cup in France. Looked a serious unit so hopefully he pushes on with us down the line.

Conor Joyce, yet another who looked the part in the back row with the under 20's. Has seen game time with Ulster so obviously the coaching staff rate him.

Rory Scholes, was the star of the World cup in France for Ireland's under 20's. Looked fantastic with ball in hand and a real threat. Was looking forward to seeing him at some point this season with Ulster but I've no clue if he hasn't been great as yet or injured or what but the kid looked brilliant. Hoping to see more of him in the future.

I've seen a few people mention Lorcan Dow as a serious talent but I must admit I've never watched the kid play. Only passing on I've seen people speaking well of Dow.

Sorry my post really doesn't answer your question but hopefully we have a few gems in there.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Hearing good things about Dow.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:Hearing good things about Dow.
Same here
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Red - Can I recommend:
Ireland Under-19 V Australia Schools
Saturday 14th December, kick off 2.30pm, Ravenhill
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Red wrote:Do we know if there any more gems coming out the youth ranks like Olding, Henderson and Jackson?

Not sure how accurate those ages are that Bayern has listed but they might be quite significant when you consider Olding won an Ireland cap at 20, Jackson, Gilroy and Henderson at 21 and Marshall at 22. But then again forwards develop a bit later and Henderson is a total freak so maybe the ages aren't as significant as they first appear.

Anyway good to hear some good things about Lorcan Dow. No.8 is a position we could do with developing over the next couple of years given Roger and Nick aren't both the wrong side of 30.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Conor Joyce has been mentioned in dispatches for the last three seasons. At 21 now it must be time for him to kick on, must be his last year in the academy?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

BR wrote:Red - Can I recommend:
Have you seen the prices for the game?!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

damianmcr wrote:
BR wrote:Red - Can I recommend:
Have you seen the prices for the game?!
Bit of a surprise to be honest I thought
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Premium Stand Adults £20 Children £15
East Terrace Adults £12 Children £7
Memorial End Stand Adults £15 Children £9
Memorial End Terrace Adults £9 Children £5

Cheaper than Ulster friendlies IIRC. I'm busy that day, otherwise I'd be happy enough to pay 12 quid (or maybe take the opportunity to try a stand seat).
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Red
Novice

Post by Red »

Thanks Windoes, Roosterand others for the opinion, very helpful. BR I live in London can't make the Raven's games, thanks again for the help though.

Comment and opinion like is is great for people who aren't close to team. As here, Planet Rugby, BBC2 and Sky Sports for the Heineken are my only opportunities to get a get a feel for how the wider setup at Ulster Rugby are doing.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Another couple of years and you will start to see the fruits of the work being done by McGlocks and Kieran Campbell at present with the 15 and 16 year old lads they are gathering up from clubs to then have a wider base to pick academy players from instead of mainly the big rugby schools
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Red wrote:Thanks Windoes, Roosterand others for the opinion, very helpful. BR I live in London can't make the Raven's games, thanks again for the help though.

Comment and opinion like is is great for people who aren't close to team. As here, Planet Rugby, BBC2 and Sky Sports for the Heineken are my only opportunities to get a get a feel for how the wider setup at Ulster Rugby are doing.
Philamena's tonight?
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

McCall has obviously already played for us, but I liked the look of Chris Taylor in the JWC last year. He deserves to be looked at at least because he was doing some serious damage then.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.