Next Ulster Coach

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Next Ulster Coach

Post by Kofi Annan »

Okay season is near over, few Rabo games to go which really could blow up in our faces, but I hope not. Cowboy has been given a year extension for which I do not get the point , other than political with a very small p.

New players coming in to fill the void but nothing to get excited about, so I do not see us getting stronger this forthcoming season , more of a team rebuilding looking to the future. With the amount of second tier players leaving along with some being cut from academy etc, is it time to cut the cowboy loose and get a coach that will be involved with the rebuilding from the bottom up. Not being disrespectful, but cowboy knows he is going in a year ( or less) so will he really be 100 % committed to the cause. I don't know.

I really hope I am wrong but I see a painful few seasons ahead.

So , who do you think would be a good choice, now let's not be emotional and call for some retiring player :roll: , we need a proven coach who wants a challenge, someone that will lead us to world domination. Cost should not be an issue.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Next Ulster Coach

Post by Cornerfleg »

Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I don't particularly share your pessimistic view of next season, but I cannot see the point in a one year extension for Mark. How will he view next season? Will he be interested?
A year to get another job or a year to put himself in the shop window for a new contract?
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Mark McCall
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Can't see him leaving after all it was only a month or so ago on TV he was telling us how committed he was to Ulster :scratch:
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Might Ulster leave him though? Maybe the reason why only a one year contract was given - compensation for dismissal not too high. Perhaps UR felt they had to give him a contract for next season just in case we won the Heiny. But now.....
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Snipe Watson wrote:I don't particularly share your pessimistic view of next season, but I cannot see the point in a one year extension for Mark. How will he view next season? Will he be interested?
A year to get another job or a year to put himself in the shop window for a new contract?
Snipe, this year on more than a few occasion we were found sadly lacking in SID , forget about the bs around that , but a simple fact, players like Annette are leaving due to lack of game time and also feeling undervalued, now what happens if on the weekend we lose herring, we have to use Annette as a starter, I don't have any issue with that, but he has been getting no game time, his replacement would be less than adequate. We have nearly a whole ravens team leaving ( more than has been announced to date) I want UR to win every game but something needs done, pessimistic no, realist yes.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cockatrice wrote:Can't see him leaving after all it was only a month or so ago on TV he was telling us how committed he was to Ulster :scratch:
Wasn't that just him asking for a contract extension?

I know it's been suggested before, but I wonder how much truth there is in the 'demise' of Cornerflag and their cosy realtionhip with UR.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Matt Sexton?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I think a new coach will be signed up shortly, whether he starts in summer '14 or '15 is the question. Likely that the new man will be available after the southenr hemisphere season this autumn and come in after a few months off. That means he's available to make an early appearance should wheels fall off or toys get thrown out during next season (or come in in the autumn with Doak taking temp charge)...honestly can't see MA sticking around once the writing has been unveiled on the wall

Agree with Kofi's assessment of next season, Mark is no way going to have the playing resources so it will be apparent on the face of it that the coach leaving isnt as big an issue as the last time. Our SID has been very poor but most of the people who've been called on to fill and been remotely capable are going, it'll take a season or two for them to be replaced by guys coming through, IF they are there because it doesn't appear so just yet.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BR wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Can't see him leaving after all it was only a month or so ago on TV he was telling us how committed he was to Ulster :scratch:
Wasn't that just him asking for a contract extension?

I know it's been suggested before, but I wonder how much truth there is in the 'demise' of Cornerflag and their cosy realtionhip with UR.
BR.... Maybe I should have used a :stir: that day he reminded me of a 'we don't talk to terrorists' politician when otherwise.

On the playing side UR need to move quickly as a new coach would want to bring in new players and if we sign them all up before hand it may mean any new coach can't bring in who he would want. It may happen sooner than later.
Last edited by Cockatrice on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Dave Rennie
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

Any top side that had been well coached would have beaten a 14 man team by at least 50 points. How can anyone suggest that they were impressed by the way Saracens played so why would we want McCall as a new coach?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cockatrice wrote: BR.... Maybe I should have used a :stir: that day he reminded me of a 'we don't talk to terrorists' politician when otherwise.

Sorry - I'm guilty of replying to the post without checking the author.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

twiglet wrote:Any top side that had been well coached would have beaten a 14 man team by at least 50 points. How can anyone suggest that they were impressed by the way Saracens played so why would we want McCall as a new coach?
Disagree, not that i want McCall (right now) he is an excellent coach, just has a pile of sh1t as a team