Waste of a good Fiver?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Waste of a good Fiver?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

In 1975 I was at the Scotland v Ireland match at Murrayfield in the days of the enormous terrace around 3 sides of the ground. That same year the Scotland v Wales game had a crowd of 104000 officially though estmates reckon maybe 110000 made it into the game.

Anyway, given the lack of anything happening I though I would post a momento that I came across a few weeks back when clearing out a few old wallets etc. In one I did find money, but I never thought to spend it & now it is out of circulation.

That night we ended up drinking in The North British Hotel above Waverley Station, can't remember what its called now. Anyway it was where the Irish team were staying and the after-match banquet was held. Eventually the players emerged into the bar and were happy to chat to Tom Dick & Baggy.

Some guys were getting autographs and as a younger 21 year old than lads nowadays would be, I thought I would too. Problem was that the only paper I had was folding stuff, the smallest a £5 note, probably a good amount since I think my salary was around £1500 gross in those days.
Fiver.jpg
Fiver.jpg (130.37 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
fiver1.jpg
fiver1.jpg (98.23 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
The Ireland team

15 Tony Ensor
14 Tom Grace
13 Dick Milliken
12 Mike Gibson
11 Seamus Dennison
10 Billy McCombe
9 John Moloney
1 Ray McLoughlin
2 Pa Whelan
3 Roger Clegg
4 Willie-John McBride (c)
5 Moss Keane
6 Stewart McKinney
7 Fergus Slattery
8 Willie Duggan

Replacements

Paddy Agnew, Shay Deering, Ken Kennedy, Michael Quinn, W.T. Postlethwaite, Christopher McKibbin

Scotland won 20-13 2 tries each, Billy Steele & Jim Renwick & for Ireland Seamus Dennison & Tom Grace.

Of the team I have no memory at all of W T Postlethwaite, any ould lads remember him?

As for the autographs, three Ulster legends off the bat Willie John, Syd Millar who was team manager & Mike Gibson. Bangor men ( best club in the country at the time many claimed - mostly from Bangor) Dick Milliken, Billy McCombe & Roger Clegg, Paddy Agnew was later involved with Bangor too but I think was CI at that time.

Ken Kennedy was at the end of a distinguished career, certainly McCombe & Kennedy played their last international later that year in Cardiff. It was a painful experience, 32-4 (tries 4 pts) and it was 32-0 late in the game until Willie Duggan intercepted a long Gareth Edwards pass straight off a lineout and ran into the corner from the 25 yard line.

The distinguished back row of McKinney, Slattery & Duggan all signed and Noisy Noel Murphy who was there in some capacity also signed on. Ray McLoughlin signed as did 2 Scottish legendary props Sandy Carmichael & Mighty Moose Ian McLaughlin. Broon a'Troon, Gordon Brown -no not that clampit MP - is there too.

The thing that I recall most from that long evening was Scottish debutant David Leslie, who turned out a good no 8 or flanker, would have talked all night, clearly on a high after a winning debut he wouldn;t shut up, eventually we sidled off to find more famous names, good chap mind you. I also remember Paddy Agnew a triple international - rugby judo & waterpolo - telling me it was a serious waste of money & no doubt I would spend it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Wrong Paddy. >EW

Anyway, hope someone may find this bit of "all our yesterdays" of some interest.
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Waste of a good Fiver?

Post by Russ »

Give you £4 for it, seeing as it's been vandalised

We all like a good Les Kiss
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Is that £1500 a week Baggy? I knew you were worth a few pound but feck. :D :D

That's a great memento I would say. Ya can always get another fiver but some of those signatures are priceless.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:Is that £1500 a week Baggy? I knew you were worth a few pound but feck. :D :D

That's a great memento I would say. Ya can always get another fiver but some of those signatures are priceless.
Baggy's daily wage before back handers Shan!

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I started the life of a wage slave on 24th September 1973 with an annual salary of £973 per annum, I think I had £64 per month in my hand. I started in Larne, had no car so stayed in digs Monday to Friday lunch, 3 cooked meals a day for £5 per week. There was a serious industrial despite in 1974 when my readies increased by about 45% and the increment from year 1 was decent so I might have nudged towards £1600 pa and I tell you I can't remember ever having so much spare cash. Inflation eh?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:
Baggy's daily wage before back handers Shan!

:lol: Always knew I was in the wrong job.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I started the life of a wage slave on 24th September 1973 with an annual salary of £973 per annum, I think I had £64 per month in my hand. I started in Larne, had no car so stayed in digs Monday to Friday lunch, 3 cooked meals a day for £5 per week. There was a serious industrial despite in 1974 when my readies increased by about 45% and the increment from year 1 was decent so I might have nudged towards £1600 pa and I tell you I can't remember ever having so much spare cash. Inflation eh?
:D I remember my first paycheck in June 1994 was IR£127 net. I fecking well thought I was a millionaire. To be honest 127 quid a week at that time before this damned place got so expensive was quite an amount for a single wee fecker still living at home. A pint was about IR£1.60 at the time if I remember correctly.

Unemployment assistance weekly rate in 1994 was IR£61. Now it is €188. Feck just thinking if I had to survive on twice the UA rate now I'd be well fecked. Damned place has just got so expensive. Mind you if you had no mortgage you could live on €376 per week.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:I started the life of a wage slave on 24th September 1973 with an annual salary of £973 per annum, I think I had £64 per month in my hand. I started in Larne, had no car so stayed in digs Monday to Friday lunch, 3 cooked meals a day for £5 per week. There was a serious industrial despite in 1974 when my readies increased by about 45% and the increment from year 1 was decent so I might have nudged towards £1600 pa and I tell you I can't remember ever having so much spare cash. Inflation eh?
:D I remember my first paycheck in June 1994 was IR£127 net. I fecking well thought I was a millionaire. To be honest 127 quid a week at that time before this damned place got so expensive was quite an amount for a single wee fecker still living at home. A pint was about IR£1.60 at the time if I remember correctly.

Unemployment assistance weekly rate in 1994 was IR£61. Now it is €188. Feck just thinking if I had to survive on twice the UA rate now I'd be well fecked. Damned place has just got so expensive. Mind you if you had no mortgage you could live on €376 per week.
E188 a week is a ridiculously high amount!

Actually that is a disgrace

We complain about chubes on £75 a week up here earning far too much to sit on their hooplas

Max 3 months of that thing then you should be told to fick aff
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:
E188 a week is a ridiculously high amount!

Actually that is a disgrace

We complain about chubes on £75 a week up here earning far too much to sit on their hooplas

Max 3 months of that thing then you should be told to fick aff
Feck off where? You alleged you are an economist. Are you aware we have created a society where we do not have a job for all? Or have you some fantastic idea that nobody else has thought of to eradicate unemployment? The only solution to this issue in recent times was the one put in place in places like the USSR and the GDR. A job for everybody but a country riddled with inefficiency and poverty of the populace. In NI you have a watered down version of that where there is a bloated Public Sector which keeps many thousands in paid employment but many are doing no more than the guys collecting the £75 per week. We have a sizable Public Sector too but nowhere near that in NI as we have to pay for it ourselves, but still big enough to contain many who do as much as the recipients of the €188 per week.

Most of the world has decided it wants a free market type economy. With that comes our acceptance that not only will we have to persist with the welfare state but we will have to expand it to ensure we have in place unconditional welfare for the wealthy. Of course the UK has great experience in this matter for many generations as they have been handing over welfare to the residents of Buck House and other royal houses without question. No issue to add Banking CEO's and other wealthy folk as we have seen in both our states over the last few years. Still, let's worry about the poor sod being handed £75 per week while championing the wealthy ones who claim millions in welfare from the hard-pressed taxpayer.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Suppose you believe this Russ :roll:
unemployed.jpg
unemployed.jpg (13.12 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Should be made work for unemployment benefits, pick litter brush roads etc
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote:Should be made work for unemployment benefits, pick litter brush roads etc
What a good idea. Make people work but don't afford them any of the protection of employment law. In other words reintroduce slavery.

If you give people jobs they must be at minimum wage. Otherwise let's just forget all the humanitarian / social advances we have made and just return to our previous savagery. I know- anyone who refuses slave labour, let's throw them to the lions. Should make for good entertainment for the right wing middle classes. We could even charge for admission to cover the cost of the clean-up operation, unless we get the slaves to do that also. No....there will be someone in attendance who own a cleaning company and knows the Executive Director of sports and entertainment so that money will be needed.

Mother of Feck. Is it 2014AD or BC.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

188 yoyos is a hell of a lot

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Should be made work for unemployment benefits, pick litter brush roads etc
What are all the community service louts going to do then?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:188 yoyos is a hell of a lot

It really isn't. If you had to live on it you'd know pretty quickly. Most of the langballs who go on about it are earning fair multiples of that amount. A lot wouldn't know what it was like to try and make food stretch for the week or to anguish over the choice of keeping a house warm or buying enough to have three meals a day.