Shocking Calls

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Shocking Calls

Post by bazzaj »

In the light of the decision that cost Connacht the game last night it got me thinking of shocking calls from officals in the past.

First one springs to mind that I have seen was the wrong ball try that cost Ireland in Cardiff a few seasons back.

In terms of a game I was involved in was when we were defending our slender lead deep in injury time and the opposition needed a try to win.
They drove over our line and collapsed in heap to which the ref blew his whistle pointed to the base of the collapsed maul and shouted try!
Our outhalf however tapped the refs back and held the ball out to demonstrate that he had ripped it and it was therefore not in the location where he was pointing.
The ref then said' Ive made my decision' and they win.

Next worse was during last play our scrumhalf catches the ball from the kick off that resulted from the score that put us one point ahead.
Naturally he runs the ball off the pitch.
The ref awards a penalty for "Unsporting conduct", they slot the pen and win.

Top that lot.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: Shocking Calls

Post by Deraless »

Was it Italy v Wales in Rome when the Welsh needed to score and the ref indicated they had time to kick a penalty into the corner. So they did. And he blew for full time!

Doesn't beat either of those 2 gems though lol
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Blind Dave missing Nathan Hines holding on to P3's leg while Toulon were camped on our try line.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Sorry, P3 and Fez!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Most of you were not born when in 1968, the spritely Mike Titcomb awarded Gareth Edwards a drop goal at Lansdowne Road that every one of the 54000 and both teams knew was at least 6 feet wide of the post. The error gave Wales a 6-6 scoreline but luckily one of the Doyle brothers - can't remember if it was Mick or Tom - scored a late try and Ireland won 9-6 otherwise the Englishman could have been lynched.

Titcomb had become the youngest international ref having ended his playing career due to an eye injury - you don't say :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

shamalicious wrote:Sorry, P3 and Fez!
Nearly sure there was another Ulster player being held too, it was the Clermont game.

It would have been our first win in France and Clermont's first home loss in about 75 games and that blind tw@t Pearson totally bottled it.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Most of you were not born when in 1968, the spritely Mike Titcomb awarded Gareth Edwards a drop goal at Lansdowne Road that every one of the 54000 and both teams knew was at least 6 feet wide of the post. The error gave Wales a 6-6 scoreline but luckily one of the Doyle brothers - can't remember if it was Mick or Tom - scored a late try and Ireland won 9-6 otherwise the Englishman could have been lynched.

Titcomb had become the youngest international ref having ended his playing career due to an eye injury - you don't say :roll:
It was Mick. Gibson also scored a d.g. Great night in Davy Byrnes after.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Wee Woman wrote:
shamalicious wrote:Sorry, P3 and Fez!
Nearly sure there was another Ulster player being held too, it was the Clermont game.

It would have been our first win in France and Clermont's first home loss in about 75 games and that blind tw@t Pearson totally bottled it.
You're right WW, it was indeed Clermont. Head like a sieve!
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

If it's true he said 'that's gonna cost your team 7 points' to Connacht Stewards he's gonna be in big trouble!

At least someone has finally spoken up about the abismal refereeing standards in the league..
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Was the holding incident Chris Henry and Clermont?
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I was in Davy's before after the match we had to drive back to Enniscorthy and face the Boss aka " the Dog "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Deraless wrote:Was the holding incident Chris Henry and Clermont?
No I think it was Ferris and someone else. Ferris was roaring at the touch judge. Pretty sure he Dave went back and awarded the penalty for it.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I'd hardly put the Clermont incident up there as one of the great injustices in rugby. That kind of thing happens a lot and if it had been the other way i doubt it would be mentioned in this thread!

Besides, iirc he did us a favour as we would never had enjoyed the great win at Thomond in the QF's had we won the group that year. :D

The ireland vs wales one was an absolute shocker and just plain wrong in every sense.

I seem to recall another one involing connacht and a drop out or drop goal a few years ago but can't remember the exact story behind it. Doddering in my old age....... :shock:
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Bart S wrote:I'd hardly put the Clermont incident up there as one of the great injustices in rugby. That kind of thing happens a lot and if it had been the other way i doubt it would be mentioned in this thread!

Besides, iirc he did us a favour as we would never had enjoyed the great win at Thomond in the QF's had we won the group that year. :D

The ireland vs wales one was an absolute shocker and just plain wrong in every sense.

I seem to recall another one involing connacht and a drop out or drop goal a few years ago but can't remember the exact story behind it. Doddering in my old age....... :shock:
I wouldn't call it a massive injustice either but it was the most blatant example of Blind Dave being completely err, blind to what was happening no more than 2 feet in front of him. I don't recall a penalty being awarded as a result of it though.

It would have been massive to get that win in Clermont but I agree, nothing beat that afternoon down in Thomond Park Image