Irish Passport.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Irish Passport.

Post by bazzaj »

Dear All,

My British passport is up for renewal and I was wondering if it was worthwhile switching to an Irish one given both the current and future uncertain political climate.

You lot seem to be fairly up on these affairs so any advice of potential benefits or otherwise to doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Bazzaj
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Irish Passport.

Post by big mervyn »

bazzaj wrote:Dear All,

My British passport is up for renewal and I was wondering if it was worthwhile switching to an Irish one given both the current and future uncertain political climate.

You lot seem to be fairly up on these affairs so any advice of potential benefits or otherwise to doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Bazzaj
No brainer. Gaurantees you free movement in the EU as a minimum and you can produce it when foreigners mistake you for an Englishman.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Yours sincerely,

Bazzaj
Get both.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Furthermore Jizzer, if you are dumb enough to lose it - as I did in Spain - HMQ will charge £85 for a slip of paper to allow you to fly home, Ireland will allow you to return for a mere €15. Prices circa 2012, probably more now.

Cost for the passport are similar but in NI generally we apply through a Post Office & they add a wee arm & leg.

The joy of being smiled at for being Irish when the foreign border force thought you were English is an incalculable advantage & swings the decision for me. I hate being thought of as English, it makes me feel unclean and entirely uncivilised.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:

Yours sincerely,

Bazzaj
Get both.
To be sure. to be sure?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Cheers mervyn and bagster but how do I get both and surely you can travel only under one Snipe?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:

Yours sincerely,

Bazzaj
Get both.
Not withstanding that it is sometimes convenient/necessary to have two passports, are there many places left in the world where a British passport gives advantage over an Irish one?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Also mervyn what exactly does free movement mean as what would be the difference as of now?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

bazzaj wrote:Also mervyn what exactly does free movement mean as what would be the difference as of now?
Anyone who tells you they know, is lying.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

But with an Irish Passport, you can travel and more crucially work in any other EU country.

I would doubt, that any tourist visa restrictions would be introduced for UK passports in EU, so as a holiday maker, the only difference would be, you can use the blue lanes at immigration.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Longer or shorter generally?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

bazzaj wrote:Cheers mervyn and bagster but how do I get both and surely you can travel only under one Snipe?
You are probably entitled to both (you say you have a UK one and I assume you were born in NI/RoI).

You can simply show whichever one you want when the need arises. Where you require a visa/waiver/paperwork to enter a country, it is wise to continue to use the same one throughout your stay (and perhaps subsequent visits). The US, for example, aren't dying about the concept of someone having multiple passports.

UK consular facilities are probably more widespread. But the EU embassies often have reciprocal arrangements, which should go some way, to narrow the gap. And I suspect that even without a current passport, someone who is entitled to UK citizenship could expect consular assistance from the British embassy in the event of an emergency.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

To the best of my knowledge, there are no negatives. It genuinely is the best of both worlds. As BR says, the only advice is to use one at a time; mixing passports on a single trip is inviting trouble, not necessarily from a legal point of view but from officials who don't understand the situation and smell a rat... or a bribe.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I have had two for a while now… in fact I was able to use one to fly into somewhere and the other to fly out thereby proving that I had never left that country by producing the other one…
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Thanks all.