Irish Squad Announced

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Irish Squad Announced

Post by ColinM »

Well done to Cave, Dowling, Court, Caldwell, Healy and Ross, I hope they all win first caps.

But Sexton ahead of Humphreys :duh: :duh: :duh: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

In all probability Sexton won't get near the match-day 22 for the full team. Kidney will persist with Paddy as OH cover.

IH will start as OH for the A team. If he does well in his first match or two he could then justifiably be in the full international team as bench cover for the later matches.

Sexton will get no game time for the full international team but might make an appearance for the As.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: If Neil Best is "not considered due to suspension" what is he doing on the A panel :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

No real surprises.
39??????????

Come on. iHumph was never going straight into the Ireland squad after 3 months starting for Ulster. During which he has played well most of the time.

PWR could well be right! He has been in the past.....well once....ok twice. :silent:
Last edited by Snipe Watson on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

Cannot believe Sexton is ahead of iHumph. And where's pollock?! O'Brien's done well for Leinster but Pollock should be in there as well. What is Duffy doing there? Need to get rid of deadwood like that. Interesting that John Andress is there, must be doing well at Exeter
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Pollock is good enough for many international teams, but Wally and Jennings are ahead of him for Ireland. Back row is a very strong area.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Well . . . thats more than a little disappointing! IH and Boss in the A pannel? and if Neil Best wasnt considred to to suspension how can he be named on the A pannel??

Whats the bets on:

9. Stringer
10. O'Gara
11. Horgan
12. Darcy
13. O'Driscoll
14. Murphy
15. Dempsey

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note tho, its still got the same old no hopers hanging around the squad who are past there prime and dont have a chance of competing with the best in the world, never mind europe?

I really hope and pray to god thats guys like Quinlan, M O'Driscoll and O'Kelly are only in the squad to work with the younger guys, do a bit of mentoring and hold up tackle bags?

And NO Pollock, a genuine up and coming out and out 7 in either batch, very suprised he hasnt even been given the chance in the A's?

Finally a well done to all the new guys in the squad, including Andress making the A's!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Yeah i take the point about Ian starting the A's. BUT the A squad has 9 players and is to be supplemented by the non required senior squad players. That to me infers that Sexton is ahead in the ranks. :duh:

Also, no Johne Murphy anywhere but Girve, Duffy and Shaggy still kicking around. no Pollock or JOC anywhere yet Jennings on the senior squad. The likes of MOK, MOD, Stringer et al need to be put to grass.

Trimble hasn't impressed this year, he's not a winger and hasnt had chance in the centre to prove his form.

At least he's got the prop selection sorted, hopefully Court, Ross and Healy will get some meaningful games.
semi mental
Squire

Post by semi mental »

poor call regarding sexton over humph. jackie et als prediction of DK turning in to another EOS looks like becoming a disapointing reality.
'finger puppet' is only ok as a noun.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Oh Gerry wrote:Pollock is good enough for many international teams, but Wally and Jennings are ahead of him for Ireland. Back row is a very strong area.
Wallace yes - Jennings no way !
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

i have to say we are just going to be as bad as ever. Humph not selected is a joke and how does D'arcy get in when hasn't played rugby for a year. this total southern bias makes me nearly want to cheer on England or anyone but Ireland :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Still think that Kidney has sent out the message that ROG is undroppable, by not selecting Humph or Keatley (who didn't even make the A panel) it gives O'Gara no incentive to raise his game. Everyone knows (except EOS and now Kidney :duh: )that Paddy is not a flyhalf yes he is adequate cover but Humph or Keatley should have been included. I fear again that Paddy is going to be getting a lot of bench warming time as he will not be playing in the centres.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
semi mental
Squire

Post by semi mental »

Red Hand Hero wrote:
semi mental wrote:poor call regarding sexton over humph. jackie et als prediction of DK turning in to another EOS looks like becoming a disapointing reality.
Wait 'til he names his actual squad before hanging him.
i will, hence the "looks like" part. i hope i'm wrong, merely observing that the selection indicates similarities we'd all rather avoid.

i'll be cheering on the boys in green when it starts, regardless of who is in what shirt.
'finger puppet' is only ok as a noun.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Im shocked to be honest, I honestly thought Humph would be in the main squad and maybe even Keatley as well. Add to the fact Pollock isn't even in the A's (which is a disgrace) and stringer is in the full squad with boss in the A's. Same old same old with O'Kelly and Horgan.

This selection was a real chance to state his intention for the future and back up the claim he made that squads would be picked on form. Really disheartening .

Congrats to the lads that made the squads and especially to Cave, Court and Caldwell looking for their first caps
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

I can see how as pwrm said elsewhere it may be preferable for IH to start for the As than hodl tackle bags for the seniors, but I think picking Sexton ahead of him in the squad is just atrocious!!! With all respect to Sexton, he's had an absolute 'mare this year, and if I see him on the bench I'll be cacking myself in case anything happens ROG..

Of course what this spells out is that Paddy will be benching to cover 10 - complete waste of Ireland's best 12, and also not great cover as he's a flaky kicker. On the flip side it may open 13 for Cave...
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden