Starting XV vs. Llanelli

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

brianc
Warrior Assassin

Re: Starting XV vs. Llanelli

Post by brianc »

Shem, not sure where anyone said Paddy was good last year at OH? I noted it as our major problem last year, but the point is I didn't see much from Humphs to suggest he is the answer. As I said, hopefully he will come through, but we really must get off to a winning start this year, & I think Paddy is a safer option with Humphs coming off bench for impact if needed.

Regarding Botha, not sure exactly when he arrives, but I would guess he will start on the bench, (not having ever played for us before!), & will obviously make the starting line up fairly quickly

ps Never quite sure how to reply when posters use the "wee pot stirring man", but my reply assumes you were being entirely serious!!
boris_becker
Novice

Post by boris_becker »

15- Shifcofske
14- Timmy
13- Dewey
12- Wallace
11- Trimble
10- Humph
9- Boss

8- Diack
7- Pollock
6- Ferris
5- Caldwell
4- Del Fava
3- Court
2- Best
1- Young

16- Fitzpatrick
17- Brady
18- Mccullough
19- Anderson
20- Marshall
21- Cave
22- Cunningham
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shem wrote:
Another thing...people leaving Botha on the bench is utter garbage. He's a world class prop and we want to leave him on the bench..what a joke...unless he is majorly underperforming, you give him preference..surely?
Botha is supposed to be in training on the Monday before the match, I'm sure at present he is more interested in getting himself and family from SA to NI than training, he also will not have played for 4 or 5 weeks hence I would be extremely surprised that he would start against Llanelli, if fit he should start all other games though.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Rooster wrote:
Shem wrote:
Another thing...people leaving Botha on the bench is utter garbage. He's a world class prop and we want to leave him on the bench..what a joke...unless he is majorly underperforming, you give him preference..surely?
Botha is supposed to be in training on the Monday before the match, I'm sure at present he is more interested in getting himself and family from SA to NI than training, he also will not have played for 4 or 5 weeks hence I would be extremely surprised that he would start against Llanelli, if fit he should start all other games though.
Botha will probably get about 25-35 minutes againest the scarlets.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Can everyone, stop talking about Andrew Trimble on the wing.
He's a centre, end of discussion.

ffs. We have solid wingers.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
UlsterInDublin
Novice

Post by UlsterInDublin »

Colzo wrote:Can everyone, stop talking about Andrew Trimble on the wing.

its a reality you have to deal with...we are short of quality experienced wingers, i also think trimbles better in the centre but thats not where he'll be playing for ulster upto Xmas...and it is exceedingly unlikely he'll ever play for ireland in the centre either...

mccrea just isnt upto the standard as a winger im afraid...schifcofske is a fullback and thats where he'll play...
thewaterboy
Novice

Post by thewaterboy »

Trimble is a centre I agree, but other than Timmy we ave no other fit wingers up to HC level. It is for that reason that Trimble has to move to the wing, until Danielli returns from injury.

Shifty is just as much a winger as he is a full back. He started every Queensland Reds game at fullback last season while Latham was injured. If Latham was fit, Shifty was promptly shifted to the wing. I havent seen much of him yet but he would seem to have the reading of the game and boot better suited to 15, but he will still do an excellent job on the wing if needed.

It is plain to see from this squad already (before the season has even started!) that we are short a top class 10 and a winger. We desperately need NOC or Humph to step up to the mark and Daniele to return from injury!!
:red: SUFTUM :red:
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

UlsterInDublin wrote:

its a reality you have to deal with...we are short of quality experienced wingers, i also think trimbles better in the centre but thats not where he'll be playing for ulster upto Xmas...and it is exceedingly unlikely he'll ever play for ireland in the centre either...

mccrea just isnt upto the standard as a winger im afraid...schifcofske is a fullback and thats where he'll play...
How much have you seen of McCrea?
Shifty can play wing, too. And he's a quality player.

Trimble will play in the centre with Wallace / Dewey. How can you say it's unlikely he'll ever play for Ireland in the centre.. didn't he put in a couple of good performances in the 6N?
Ireland have the back three of Bowe, Horgan, and that other young fella.
I reckon Trimble will start every game he plays in the centre, possibly moving to wing if Cave comes on.
MW knows he's a centre, so that's where he'll play.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
UlsterInDublin
Novice

Post by UlsterInDublin »

trimble wont start another game for ireland in the centre....d'arcy is fit again and will take his place back...

ulster have a better quality backline (with Danielli injured) with trimble on the wing and schifcofske at full back, with wallace/dewey/cave in the centre....it beats cunningham at 15, schifcofske on the wing and trimble/wallace/dewey/cave in the centre....in short, we've enough cover in the centre, trimble is needed on the wing.....
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

I think it make sense starting Trimble on the wing against Llanelli.

It is of utmost importance that we start the Magners league with a good win and the best chance of that is to get out best players onto to the field right from the start. I agree with many posters here that we are strong in the centre at the moment but a bit inexperienced on the wings. So I would start with all international 3/4 line of Trimble & Nagusa on the wings with Wallace and Dewey in the centre - a great mix of speed strength and ball handling. Our problem in the backs is selecting the right fly half

My team would be:

15. Schifcofske
14. Nagusa
13. Dewey
12. Wallace
11. Trimble
10. Humphreys
9. Boss

1. Young
2. Best
3. Court
4. O'Donoghue
5. Del Fava
6. Ferris
7. Pollock
8. Diack

16. Hanna
17. Botha (just off the plane)
18. Caldwell (no game time as yet and O'Donoghue is playing very well)
19. McCullough/Dawson (unsure)
20. Willis
21. Cave
22. Cunningham

This may not be out HC team, but I think it's the best selection for Llanelli
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

I agree with you 100% Off the Top. In my view your selection is correct and I cannot see how Williams can do otherwise.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

brianc wrote:Shem, not sure where anyone said Paddy was good last year at OH? I noted it as our major problem last year, but the point is I didn't see much from Humphs to suggest he is the answer. As I said, hopefully he will come through, but we really must get off to a winning start this year, & I think Paddy is a safer option with Humphs coming off bench for impact if needed.

Regarding Botha, not sure exactly when he arrives, but I would guess he will start on the bench, (not having ever played for us before!), & will obviously make the starting line up fairly quickly

ps Never quite sure how to reply when posters use the "wee pot stirring man", but my reply assumes you were being entirely serious!!

With respect to Humph I thought the half he played was outstanding and he should definitely start.
BJ will be avialable for LLanelli and should play.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Do we have solid wingers ?? - only Danielli and Nagusa fit that bill and one of them is injured - reality is we are one player short for Llanelli hence the discussion. I think Shifty starting on the winger is a complete non starter he will definitely be FB.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Trouble is, and this may be the only time I totally agree with Colzo, Trimble is a centre. Indeed if, as is likely, O'Driscoll's hamstring plays up and/or D'Arcy continues his tendency to get injured at least once a season, Trimble should be first reserve. I know people like Earls and Cave are definitely coming through quickly but Trimble stands out as the only possible first replacement (and don't mention Horgan!!) so all this talk of Timble as a winger is counter-productive for Ulster and Ireland. IMHO.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

I used to agree, but I thought Trimble was pretty poor in the centre for large parts of last year both for Ireland and Ulster. Given our options at Centre maybe it wouldnt be the worst idea in the world for Andy to go to the wing.

McCrea just doesnt seem to be the coaches favorite.