Steinmetz set to leave at the end of season

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Re: Steinmetz set to leave at the end of season

Post by Glynncommando »

Very sad to hear Steiner is leaving us. True gent, played with his head & his heart at all times...huge admiration for his bravery. Pleasure to watch on the pitch. Will be sorely missed.
Good luck & best wishes to him & his family :salut:
GC

As for the music for rooster's compilation...Icehouse "Great Southern Land"
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

If he's coming back as a coach it's gonna be crowded...what with him, Matt sexton, the Rev, Justin Harrison, Buzz, Big Willie, etc. We'll have more coaches than Chambers.

Fine professional, good man, great tackler. Announcing his departure to the fans like that...quality.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

music for steiner vid - I used to live with a kiwi girl, and had to endure a lot of kiwi music (split enz, crowded house, bic runga etc) painful stuff BUT on one of her NZ comp CDs, there were 2 absolute crackers - one was a live version of a finn brothers song "stuff and nonsense" with neil finn and eddie vedder (torrents available) and another was the first ever recording of a NZ record called 'blue smoke' by ruru karaitiana (or something) quintet and pixie williams..

otherwise 'star alfur' by sigur ros would do the trick, or 'petur' (10 mins though..)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Could somebody not ask Steiner what his favourite bit of music is, stick it on the vid............make a good going away pressie?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

A great servant of Ulster and a skilful player. The guy is also a real gent. Had the pleasure of speaking to him a few times, including after a painful defeat a couple of seasons ago. The guy was obviously hurting, but his politeness around the fans was a joy to behold.

Has undoubtedly had an influence on our progress this year and I daresay some of the young guns have learnt a thing ro 2 from this guy. If they've watched him both on and off the pitch then they'll be well on their way to a good future.

Good luck in whatever you do going forward!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

You can all settle down as I have taken The Ulsterians advice, will do another later but this first one is just Steiner versus the >TM , after looking quickly through the matches they will be very glad to see him leave, between trys and tackles.

http://www.captureconnemara.com/video/0809/ps.wmv

Browner your suggestion is a good one, may be difficult though as some video is in 4:3 and some 16:9 and if the two get mixed he may finish up looking like a fat prop :shock: also I only have all the past 2 seasons actually on dvd, before that only some original stuff.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

browner wrote:Could somebody not ask Steiner what his favourite bit of music is, stick it on the vid............make a good going away pressie?
now there's an idea...

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

A great signing for Ulster, not just for his playing skill, but also for his mentoring, and great ability to ‘read’ the game.

If Ulster Rugby were able to look at a value analysis of Steinmetz as a signing, his delivery of KPI’s on and off the field would be well ahead of many.

To Ulster Rugby, as a whole, not just the professional set-up, he has given a lot; domestically his work with, and Patronage of, the Newforge Taggers is a genuine and valuable contribution to community, and those of us involved in Youth rugby will know that he was always on hand for mini/youth tournaments where he is both interested and interesting by way of involvement.

Excellent individual, a loss to Ulster, I wish him well.
"Cheer up" he said "It could get worse", so I cheered up, and it got worse...
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

I've not been around for a while so I'm genuinely shocked to hear this news.

Never met Steiner personally but my hubby did and thought he was a top guy.

I wish him, his wife and wee boy all the very best for the future. :salut: :salut: :salut:
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Browner your suggestion is a good one, may be difficult though as some video is in 4:3 and some 16:9 and if the two get mixed he may finish up looking like a fat prop :shock: also I only have all the past 2 seasons actually on dvd, before that only some original stuff.
Only a thought Roost...............if youse "geeks" aren't up to it, i won't mention it again. :wink:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
The Ulsterian
Initiate

Post by The Ulsterian »

First class Rooster, looking forward to Part 2
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

Rooster wrote:You can all settle down as I have taken The Ulsterians advice, will do another later but this first one is just Steiner versus the >TM , after looking quickly through the matches they will be very glad to see him leave, between trys and tackles.

Excellent work Rooster - as always. Look forward to Part 2!!
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

Firstly, what a tragedy he is going to leave Ulster at all. Like many others, I'd hoped that he'd stay on and continue the great work he has already done. He has been one seriously influencial person on and off the field. There is no doubt, as has been said, that Paul (or Lord Steiner as he is called in this house) is a great player and a great Ulster servant.

I smiled to myself when he scored his try in Paris last month because I felt that it was ironic that the last time we played at Stade Jean Bouin Lord Steiner was, IMHO, the only one who gave 110% on the pitch. If I recall he was, possibly, the only one who saluted the crowd as the team left the field too.

Paul, I wish you good luck for everything that you do in the future and I thank you for all that you have given us. :salut: :salut:

Rooster I hope there is more of that video as its brilliant, as always, and I had a lump in my throat as I watched it.
Rugby thick and full of Ulster passion
Whats wrong with that then FRU ???
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

roost - quality... he certainly liked playing munster!!!

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

LePaul wrote: I smiled to myself when he scored his try in Paris last month because I felt that it was ironic that the last time we played at Stade Jean Bouin Lord Steiner was, IMHO, the only one who gave 110% on the pitch. If I recall he was, possibly, the only one who saluted the crowd as the team left the field too.
He almost turned the match round that day in 2004 and from memory he was just back from injury and brought the entire team to life for the last 10 minutes after a poorish performance before that.
Got a few more trys of him to gather together, but it was mostly his ability to set others up for trys more than him actually scoring that was and still is a feature of his game, his reading of play and the opposition leads to him finding holes where others would just get stopped in their tracks, will be a long time to we have someone with as much forward vision and there are very few others playing or retired that had the same foresight in a game, the only other I can think of to compare him to is Mike Catt and that's the level of coach I think Steiner will eventually make, would be delighted to see him back in Ulster in a few years as backs coach.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best