Percy hangs up his boots.

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Percy hangs up his boots.

Post by Rooster »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8043381.stm
Montgomery announces retirement

Montgomery has scored 893 Test points for South Africa

Former Springbok Percy Montgomery said he will retire from playing rugby, but plans to continue in his new role as a kicking consultant for South Africa.

The 35-year-old ended his international career after last year's Tri-Nations but played for Stormers in Super 14.

"I am now looking forward to working as kicking consultant to the Boks, but this is the end for me as a player," said Montgomery.

"Rugby has been very good to me and now is my time to give back to rugby."

Montgomery, the most capped Springbok in history with 102 appearances, has been recruited by head coach Peter de Villiers to oversee the team's kicking until the end of the 2009 season.

"It will be my responsibility to ensure we develop and improve the all-round kicking game," said Montgomery.

"I was privileged to wear the jersey as a player and now have the opportunity to continue my association with the team in a different capacity."

"As a player I was passionate and committed to the Springbok cause and will follow the same approach in my new role."

He converted 31 of 33 kicks at goal during a 2007 World Cup campaign that culminated in a 15-6 final win over England.

Between 2001 and 2004 he played for Newport and recently returned to Europe for a short spell at French side Perpignan.

"Percy is one of the greatest kickers to ever grace the game and it would be silly for us not to make use of the wealth of experience he has to offer," said De Villiers.

"He will be a great asset to the team and I am sure that the players will respond very well to his input."
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best