How will Ulster do in ML this season?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

How will Ulster do in ML this season?

Champions
1%
Top 3
6%
Top half
69%
Bottom Half
24%

Total votes: 67

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: How will Ulster do in ML this season?

Post by Rooster »

jackthelad wrote:Far too much booze I'm afraid. Please note I made no mention of how I think B.McL will do. He is obviously a man who has earned respect by his achievements in the game and I hope he carries on as he has done in his career. What I should have said was in my opinion NOC is a player of little talent who adds nothing to the team or it's chances. How is that?
Why don't you edit the post then :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

jackthelad wrote:Far too much booze I'm afraid. Please note I made no mention of how I think B.McL will do. He is obviously a man who has earned respect by his achievements in the game and I hope he carries on as he has done in his career. What I should have said was in my opinion NOC is a player of little talent who adds nothing to the team or it's chances. How is that?
Although I DON'T rate NOC very highly thats still not a very nice thing to say about one of Ulster's player :evil:
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Rooster wrote:
Why? It may be drunken vitriol and wildly OTT but the core of the post is that NOC is, in my opinion, a very poor player whose inability to carry out the main functions of a 10 is dragging the team down and last season his feeble attempts at goal kicking cost victory in, being charitable, 4 games. Schifkofske also had a poor season with the boot but at least played reasonably soundly otherwise.

I don't think players with so little to offer should be capped by Ireland, it 'devalues' the shirt.

The appointment of the coach, irrespective of his qualities, was based on money not merit, -though I think he actually is the right man at the right time.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

jackthelad wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Why? It may be drunken vitriol and wildly OTT but the core of the post is that NOC is, in my opinion, a very poor player whose inability to carry out the main functions of a 10 is dragging the team down and last season his feeble attempts at goal kicking cost victory in, being charitable, 4 games. Schifkofske also had a poor season with the boot but at least played reasonably soundly otherwise.

I don't think players with so little to offer should be capped by Ireland, it 'devalues' the shirt.

The appointment of the coach, irrespective of his qualities, was based on money not merit, -though I think he actually is the right man at the right time.
Well on last weeks place kicking in your eyes Sexton should not be wearing an Ireland shirt either, overall his kicking record is probably on par with NOC.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I don't think he actually got a cap though did he? He played for Ireland A, it was Keatley who got the senior call. And that was with the first three outhalves unavailable (if you include Paddy Wallace as an outhalf). He was on the bench, but I can't remember if he got on.

The thing about that tour was no Leinster players, no Lions. Almost the entire Grand Slam 22 missing. Several high-profile injuries from the Ulster contingent. So he turned it and the Churchill Cup into a development tour- he turned a disadvantage into an opportunity to assess our depth, to have a look at everyone. That's great management, turning such a disadvantage into a positive. So guys who won't get into the AI 22 got capped, there's no downside to that; it's given them a taste of the international set-up. It's let them know they are on the radar- that must do wonders for their motivation and confidence. He's a very clever man, Declan Kidney.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

In my eyes? I didn't see Sexton play. When I do I'll let you know Rooster so you can post for me. Sexton's kicking has been erratic in the past. Last years CC for example and also in one of last years HC pool games if memory serves. I am more concerned about the success of Ulster than an occasional failure of a young Leinster player but thanks for the heads up. There are of course implications for Ireland as Sexton has been anointed by many as the chosen one to follow in the footsteps of the great ROG. BTW Rooster the signature is a vague attempt at humour, perhaps a big boy told you it was important. It's not... and Santa doesn't exist either.

notj is correct, NOC didn't get on the field during the 'tour' games. Kidney is a masterful manager and a coach with subtle and inspiring skills.
Bruce
Novice

Post by Bruce »

You really have it in for NOC Jack,he's actually a good guy by all accounts and despite a few diffs on the field doesn't deserve this abuse. It's easy when you're anonymous on boards like this to sink to this level but cowardly none the less.

Why don't you answer the question? How will Ulster do?
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Bruce wrote:You really have it in for NOC Jack,he's actually a good guy by all accounts and despite a few diffs on the field doesn't deserve this abuse. It's easy when you're anonymous on boards like this to sink to this level but cowardly none the less.

Yes, I share your opinion on the player jack, but it's not his fault he's been asked to shoulder responsibility beyond his current level. Sexton was no better than NOC at the same age but he wasn't thrust into the limelight and had the benefit of learning from Contepomi. I think installing O'Connor as first choice outhalf was the worst thing Matt Williams could have done to the guy in some ways. He wasn't ready for it. He seemed bereft of confidence, and although he still managed the odd magic moment- like the cross-field kick to Danielli against the Os- he generally seemed like a guy who knew he was playing poorly; trying hard, but not in the right mindset. But to post nasty remarks about the guy anonymously is a bit much. There is a kernel of truth in what you write, it's the way you write it that is... unfair. Better to say he has a lot to learn, he has potential, but isn't currently ready for the first team slot.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Bruce wrote:You really have it in for NOC Jack,he's actually a good guy by all accounts and despite a few diffs on the field doesn't deserve this abuse. It's easy when you're anonymous on boards like this to sink to this level but cowardly none the less.

Well said Bruce, I've heard the same and the lad is meant to be a good sport away from the game.

He has had a harsh introduction to pro rugby and been thrust into the spotlight before being ready by virtue of a freak occurence at Ulster and a dearth of depth at national level in the FH position. This introduction has harmed his development arguably and whilst I do agree he's not the man to lead the line at present; unlike an imported fly half he will still be at Ulster in 3/4/5/6 years time, and in that time frame could well have become a consistent and important Ulster regular and Ireland squad member.

Messrs McCall, Williams, Kidney and McLaughlin seem to think he is a better bet than other incumbents and outsiders such as Hickey or Staunton - who are we to argue?
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I actually think he NoC has the makings the major reason most are down on the guy is he follows in the footsteps of David who had more vision with his eyes shut than RoG would have with a telescope and David had the pace to go with the vision for a long time.

He will never be a DH outhalfs of that quality when on song are rare but NoC is about average for the ML his problem is goal /place kicking

Provided there is another goal kicker on the team it is not an essential skill for an outhalf but it would very much add to the CV

There are those who forget that Simon Mason was brought in as a full back for his goal kicking because DH at that time was not consistant and DH was not always guaranteed to get them over

And yes a good goal kicker is an essential in the professional game because if you don't have one the opposition will infringe all night to stop a try
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

I really don't "have it in" for anyone. I am sure that Niall is a very fine human being. I have no reason to believe otherwise and have issued no opinion or statement about his humanity. Is giving a forthright opinion of a player actually cowardly abuse? I would have thought that would be how you would describe climbing into a stand and punching someone or gouging eyes. Perhaps we shouldn't criticise players here. Being a good guy has nothing to do with being a rugby player although it is a great asset in any walk of life. Let me also say that I would be delighted to be proven totally wrong and that with little a bit of work with Neil and the other coaches he develops into to a combination of Dan Carter, David Humphreys and Jonny Wilkinson. Unfortunately in what is now his third season he appears to have stood still at best. Sadly for him I just don't think he has what it takes to be a pro rugby player. He has no star quality at all. By the way if you think all he has had are a few diffs on the field, surely that is the problem. 33 games filled mostly with anonymity and 'difficulties' at best -being charitable.

How will Ulster do?
You want me to stick my neck out. Well I've been following them as a supporter for about 50 years and in the 60s and 70s we had games against the likes of Lancashire and Yorkshire, the inter-pros and touring international teams. We always had a good share of top players like WJMcB, Gibson, Hewitt et al and the games were a treat but not a matter of life or death. I've seen the downs of the late 70's and early '80's followed by the highs when we had a great team and an outstanding and thoughtful coach in the late and much missed Jimmy D. For about 14 -15 years only the All Blacks and a very few visitors were likely to win at Ravenhill.

These things tend to go in cycles. We have some very interesting talent coming through and with the proper nurturing that B. McL will bring the talent may well flourish and we will have a team of which we can be justifiable proud. I think the team, or rather many of the players, lack the 'killer' instinct of POC, Back, Johnson, Wood, Wilkinson, Matfield et al. We have good players but not always where it matters.

The forwards will give a decent account of themselves and Kyriacou seems to be a smart acquisition, as does Tuohy and Horua has looked good when I've seen him on t.v. EOD was probably our most consistent player last season and with Henry and Ferris and of course Pollock we have an exciting and potent back row.

The near future looks promising. Our young senior team will be supplemented with the best of the likes of McAllister, Karayainnis and Macklin who may well provide a good future in the prop department along with the great backs we've seen recently e.g. Nevin Spence, Cochrane and Whitten.

Boss is a sturdy and hard working 9 but oft criticised for his slow service.If he is the main 9 and I would think he is, the relationship he develops with 10 is the crucial one. I think (obviously) that 10 is position that would be better filled with someone other than NOC and to a lesser extent iHumph. With a top goal kicker last season we would almost certainly have won 6 -7 more games. Going forward without one is a poor outlook again. I think the team selection towards the end of last season indicated that Matt Williams had lost the plot a little. His fairly public criticism of Ian H. and his missed tackle led him really into a cul-de-sac where he couldn't select him and so even more kicks were missed and more points abandoned to a poor judgement call. So even with a burgeoning of talent in a pace-filled, hard tackling back line, if there is no one who can set them free and who can convert there territorial gains into points I can only see mid table mediocrity again and an early exit from the ERC.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

jackthelad wrote:With Niall O'Connor aboard we will win nothing of any conseqeunce. He is a black hole sucking the life out of the team. Can't run, pass, tackle or kick (other than over the dead ball line) and his useless, peurile and laughable attempts at goal kicking are an embarrassment to the great history of Ulster rugby. How that dimwit can agree to hack and slice kick after kick and not hide his head in shame is on a par with the incredulous decision of his selection to tour with Ireland. Add in the fact that the Ulster coach is the only one in the whole of top level world rugby who was appointed because he was cheaper than anyone else and you can see where it will all end......with an empty ground and a team demoralised and bereft of talent when the good ones feck off to where the players actually come before the alickadoos and sponging parasites and hangers-on that are a plague on the side.
Worst post ever on uafc?

Did he pull your girlfriend or something?
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

jackthelad wrote: What I should have said was in my opinion NOC is a player of little talent who adds nothing to the team or it's chances. How is that?
That, in my opinion, makes you a poor analyst of the game, and of young out-halfs. I predict that in three years time if your attention is brought back to this thread, you'll feel a right dick.
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Given O'Connor's age (22) and given the position he plays in it is way too early to condemn him as a failure.

He at the age of 19 - 21 was thrown in at the deep end to play in a poor side.
We are 2/3 years away from knowing whether he can reach the required standard - give the lad a break.
Bruce
Novice

Post by Bruce »

Jack,

There's nothing wrong with having a forthright opinion on a player or anything else if you qualify your statement. By your own admission what you had to say was drunken vitriol and wildly ott. An apology would do no harm,as i'm sure you would expect one in similar circumstances.

You say you've supported Ulster for 50 years so you're clearly of a vintage that should know better! :thumbdown: