Ulster v Connacht

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Connacht

Post by Rooster »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:in which humph do you trust?

ian to kick the points and show keatley how outhalf should be player?
or
david to bring tommy bowe back to ulster?
When Tommy comes back to Ulster it will be Tommy's own thoughts not anyone elses, so in conclusion to that then you may trust Ian to kick the points and Keatley's ass at the same time.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

if tommy does decide to come back, it will have been in no small part down to the persuasive powers of david humphreys to convince TB that returning to belfast is the right move for him.

bit like gerrard at liverpool the summer after they won the champions league - noone in liverpool fc thought it was wise to offer him terms and he ended up believing that the club wanted him out. cant allow tommy to feel like ulster arent making moves for him or wouldnt love to see him return. at the same time if/when he becomes available ulster will not be the only side interested in him and DH will have a role to play in convincing tommy that the big euros from a warm sunny culturally superior france arent worth taking...
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Put yourself in the position of Tommy Bowe (would need a bigger top and shorts I think), a talented local lad who has options all over the place and a short career. I could see myself leaving Ulster and heading somewhere else, probably to France for something different and nicer weather, or wherever in England/France/Wales if they paid vast amounts. You would need to be a real real massive Ulsterman to continually turn all that down and whilst I am not happy about it, he is a professional so fair enough. However I think it would be a different case if Munster or Leinster came calling. That I would be a step too far. How would you feel playing at Ravenhill in blue or red? Actually, they never bring their best teams so he would never do that, but you get the picture. I would feel guilty even putting a Munster or Leinster shirt on to play a low key game against Glasgow, nevermind a match against Ulster.

Hope he feels the same!

If he comes back here, brilliant, espescially if we can keep hold of Danielli, Ferris and our other top performers, but it would be awful to see him playing his home games in Dublin, Cork or Limerick.
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

If he comes back, it will be because of the Ireland set-up. They'll definitely want him playing his rugby in Ireland.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

dont be stupid all yer life
if he comes back it'll be because he's our wee tommy and he loves us too

but it wont be anytime soon
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

RHH - it's certainly true to say that most cross-province move so farhave been for relatively fringe players to get gametime, and I accept bowe's in a different category. But I still think it will become more common in time (which is why I'd be so worried about Ferris, I can't think of someone the guys at leinster for eg could think of better to replace elsom)

and maybe I do underestimate the interprovincial rivalry - to put myself in his boots as bca suggests - tbh I would play for either leins or muns (ulster first of course by several degrees of magnitude, and leins before muns)... I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand - maybe it's because I used to live in Dublin and got quite attached to my fri evenings at donnybrook..

In any event - maybe he wouldn't play for another provnce - I think it's a live possibility, and it's up to ulster to make their case on and off the pitch...
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Tommy's contract is over at Ospreys this season so no need for compo for Ospreys, he has an option to extend it though by another year but that is up to himself whether he takes that option or not.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I think the IRFU only consider transfers between provinces if there is some personal reason outside the game its self and or a fringe player who fails to get game time due the strenght of the squad in that position in his current Province

Therefore losing Ferris to Leinster or Munster would be a long shot bet IMO similiarly I don't see the IRFU wanting to lose him to either English or French rugby

T Bowe at the time would have possibly been considered a fringe Irish selection a fourth or fifth choice International

with Horan Kearney Trimble Murphy Fitzgerald all ranking higher
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
combatlogo
Novice

Post by combatlogo »

bogboy wrote:I think the IRFU only consider transfers between provinces if there is some personal reason outside the game its self and or a fringe player who fails to get game time due the strenght of the squad in that position in his current Province

Therefore losing Ferris to Leinster or Munster would be a long shot bet IMO similiarly I don't see the IRFU wanting to lose him to either English or French rugby

T Bowe at the time would have possibly been considered a fringe Irish selection a fourth or fifth choice International

with Horan Kearney Trimble Murphy Fitzgerald all ranking higher
I know Horan likes to hang out on the wing but I don't think the IRFU would consider him a bona fide winger! :lol:
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Have they been reading this thread...........from Wales on Sunday.

IRISH rugby bosses want to bring British Lion and Grand Slam ace Tommy Bowe back home.

Wales on Sunday understands the 24-year-old, could be tempted with a lucrative offer to leave the Ospreys at the end of the season.

Bowe, whose brilliant individual try set the Ospreys on the road to victory against Glasgow on Friday, is a popular member of the Liberty Stadium squad and has been a success at the region despite the team’s collective disappointments.

But his stock has risen dramatically in the last six months.

He spearheaded Ireland to their Grand Slam success over Wales at the Millennium Stadium in March, scoring a decisive try and setting up another.

His displays for Ian McGeechan’s squad in South Africa during the summer also took his game to further heights.

The Irish Rugby Union are determined to entice one of their most valuable assets back to home soil on a central contract that would see him placed with one of the two big provinces Munster or Leinster.

Bowe (pictured) signed for the Ospreys from Ulster, but would be unlikely to return to Belfast-based side.

The Ospreys are almost certain to put up a fight to retain his services, especially as Wales wizard Shane Williams is advancing in years.

But Bowe, still only 24, could sense that the time is right to put himself into the thick of the Irish system with the 2011 World Cup getting closer.

Of the Ireland team that beat Wales in the final clash of the 2009 Six Nations at the Millennium Stadium, Bowe was the only player not based in the Emerald Isle.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

How would the Western Mail know what is likely or unlikely? :roll:

After all, if he's on a central contract, he wouldn't be earning any more for Munster or Leinster. Though I suppose he would get a few tax breaks, the rapport he has with the players and fans in Ulster should count for something as well.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

After all, if he's on a central contract, he wouldn't be earning any more for Munster or Leinster.
Are you saying he would be on a similar contract to O'Driscoll?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Well I don't know about the figures browner but

"The Irish Rugby Union are determined to entice one of their most valuable assets back to home soil on a central contract"

If thats true, it's going to be his decision as to which province he signs for. The IRFU certainly aren't going to block him from returning to Ulster.
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

So he could opt for Connacht then?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

A central contract is the standard one that Irish squad players are on, in theory they can be moved around but it does not happen.
Rory Best