Qualifying Rugby

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

colinh
Lord Chancellor

Re: Qualifying Rugby

Post by colinh »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Love Qualifying 1. Good honest to god rugby with a bit of passion thrown in. Armagh are looking useful again this year. Can't wait to Armagh -v- City of Derry on saturday week. Our mini's are playing against Armagh in the morning leading into a quick change for me and into a decent pre-match followed by the game. Carlsberg don't do rugby days out but if they did......... 8)
Im gutted that I am going to miss that one.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Larne 87 - 0 Donegal in Qualifying 3. Larne played the match with 14 and it was stopped 15mins early.

Wouldnt fancy watching Grovesnor v Donegal whenever that game is!
Last edited by fuzzylogic on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

The Larne result today proves what most know that Qualifying 3 needs a radical make over. You usually have a couple of very good teams a few in the middle and many that are just cannon fodder and that is good for no one in particular the teams that are on the end of a hammering most weeks. How dispiriting for Donegall to travel all the way from the other end of the country for such a result. Full credit to them as they are one of the faraway teams in the league that never call off a fixture.
Should perhaps qualifying 3 not be played in two sections on a regional basis or preferably move two more teams up to qualifying 2 and put the league three teams back to the normal home and away basis.
I am also concerned about the unfair advantage given to PSNI. If they refuse to cross the border to fulfil cross border fixtures they should be required to play the relevant games at a neutral venue on this side of the border and meet the extra expense of the teams who are losing their home advantage by paying the cost of their travel.
I would be interested in your views on the above.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

I am also concerned about the unfair advantage given to PSNI. If they refuse to cross the border to fulfil cross border fixtures they should be required to play the relevant games at a neutral venue on this side of the border and meet the extra expense of the teams who are losing their home advantage by paying the cost of their travel.
I would be interested in your views on the above.
Agreed thats a viable option but personally id much rather see the PSNI be forced to forfit the games which they refuse to travel to.
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Surely they are required to travel to all their scheduled away games except those across the border
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Interesting. Why should they not go to say Lurgan, Larne or Ophir?
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Perhaps you havn't watched the news lately Lurgan has been going a bit mad.

Larne however, ive no idea, I would say it would be a lot safer for them to make the 30min trip north to Larne than it would to head south to the border in Newry.
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Are you sure you are right. According to the Ulster Branch web site fixture list PSNI are due to travel away to Holywood, Ophir, Larne.Randalstown, Grosvenor and Civil Service none of which would present any kind of security risk.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

fuzzylogic wrote:Perhaps you havn't watched the news lately Lurgan has been going a bit mad.
Nah thats normal weekend fun that goes on in Lurgan, been that since town was built :roll: No rugby pitch in Kilwilkie estate anyway so they would not be there unless they wanted a post match scrap with the locals.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Got to agree with you Young Man. The situation is ludicrous and should never have been permitted to develop. Frankly those teams who are across the border should insist that their home games are exactly that and see what the Branch does.I do not think the Branch has any legal right to compel them to play their home games away from home. PSNI should either play their games where they should like all other sports or else forfeit the points.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

YoungMan wrote:....more about gamesmanship i would guess than anything else ...

Pot & kettle
Red Hand Supporter
Warrior Assassin

Post by Red Hand Supporter »

YoungMan wrote: U.U.C.: Money all blown on WKD and traffic cones
Worked well last year, remaining unbeaten in the league....

.....see how it goes this year :stir:

Seriously though, UUC have been working hard and made some signings in the close season with no money available at all and can't wait to get started.

The whole PSNI thing is a disgrace, I understand it from the days of the RUC but things need changed.

Grosvenor are doing excellent this season and deserve to be in Q2 as Q3 is a waste for them. See you next season
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

All credit to UUC. Saw them twice last year and they played great rugby. I hope they do well as unlike other teams there is no money to throw around and the students play solely for the love of the game which is the way it should be in junior rugby.
Last edited by Cracker on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Thank you Rooster.Was not aware of this facility. Now done.
Last edited by Cracker on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cracker wrote:Sorry for typo. For "arung" read"around".
Cracker, if you open you own post you can edit it by clicking on the "Edit" button >TC
Last edited by Rooster on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best