If the season finished today ....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bring Humph On!!
Squire

If the season finished today ....

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

If the season were to finish today and as things are we had reached the heini quarters and were 6th in the magners would you deem it a success?

And if not, what would a successful campaign entail? Is it purely down to cup and league positions or does team development and building foundations for the coming years come into it?
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: If the season finished today ....

Post by AyeYerMa »

I reckon it comes down to being seen to do the best you're capable of with the tools you've got.

On that basis, despite the QF, I'd say Ulster had a very fair season.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Definitely a success so far .We have some great young players coming through ,The Bokkers are doing the business ,Ihumph has found his kicking boots and confidence and we are very much in the mix of both competitions. This side is gathering momentum and I feel even if we win nothing this year I would be very much looking forwards to next season .Squad depth could be improved imho but I am sure that will come . At this moment and with a full team "Ulster fear nobody " :red:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

No I wouldn't be satisfied. I know I might be on my own but I always regard the league as the bread & butter of any pro sports team and whilst its great to have finally got a HC quarter final after all these years I really want to see us in the ML knock out as a confirmation that we are getting there as a team.

If you take the football analogy the big teams are consistently in the top 4 in the league whereas lots of teams can do an occasional decent attempt in the other competitions - even Leeds managed a CL semi.

I want us to move into the big team class and we still can get there this season especially if the Saffers can pull us through the 2 away games in Wales during the 6Ns.

The season despite not yet throwing up consistent sparkling performances is already a success judged on the following:

- HC qtr final
- Away wins no longer a rarity
- Come from behind wins no longer a rarity
- Obvious improvement in crucial positions - most clearly outhalf where iHumph is now a serious performer in all areas of his game.

- Edit: Forgot to put in the fact that we have found new talent this season, D'Arcy, Spence, Gilroy

Nailing a top 4 ML position will make this a hugely important season from which we can push on and improve.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Have to agree (Dare I say it) with the Gooner,

ML improvement is a must. I was stating on another thread that the next 5 games are the making of the season during the 6Ns.
Ospreys with 11 in Wales squad + injuries and Cardiff out of sorts with 3 home games & 7 away, (however having seen ospreys comback and hammer Blues 29 - 7 in the LV with so many away I will be getting the WD40 out for a sweaky bum.)

If we miss the top 4 ML but make SF in HEC will not be happy but it will have been certainly a big improvement.

(Beat the hairsprays away and we will be in good shape for a top 4 anyway)

Gooner I think i owe you a pint!

C'Mon ULSTER!!! :red:
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

SparkyClarky wrote:Gooner I think i owe you a pint!
Why? When didn't you buy your round ? :wink:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

mmm, tough question. Realistically, we may not be a million miles away from where we will end up.

Certainly, the HC quarter is massive and unlike goon head et al above, I think it's more important that the league. The magners is a bit of a pi$h take really. Not even the sides within it, take it overly serisously. Hence, Leinster, Munster and Ospreys will reguarly put out vastly understrength sides. In addition, I get the feeling that our friends in England and France don't hold it in very high regard.

Qualification for the QF has at least put Ulster back on the map in terms of European rugby and with regards to signing players and more importantly, keeping players that is a huge step forward.

Obviously, we all want to do well in the league and at the very least we should be pushing for the 4th spot. However, with all of our main rivals out or europe, they'll have their focus firmly on the magners - which is a bit crap for us...

Certainly, if we pick up an away win in Llanelli or against the hairsprays then we're back in the running with quite a few easy home games coming up. But for me, we need to be building for the QF. A win in England, and Ulster will indeed be back on the map...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Rule13b
Novice

Post by Rule13b »

Cant agree, yes Q/F of ERc is good and like everyone hoping for wain at MK.
But we must ill be pushing for a minimum top $ fiish inthe ML. get in the playoffs and anything could happen.
I agree with others above that a win against Ospreys would be a big step forward and is within our ability. Ospreys seem to be falling apart with dissension within their ranks and players wanting away and their coaches seemingly hanging on by a thread.
i also feel that the Blues have no real substances behind them. Shanklin and Williams being refused contracts cud work for us but then again the may well want to advertise their wares by a good displays on the field. An early signing of contracts with other clubs could help us.
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

My feeling is that we will go on and achieve a top 4 finish and anything can happen after that. The quarter final is too close to call, alot will depend on injuries at the time.

But if the current positions was how it finished I would be disappointed initially because so much potential has been shown. But I think on reflection the season should be deemed a success due to the achievement of a quarter final place but also the development of the squad, both the blooding of exciting young talent and also the development of the mentality to be able to win away and come from behind.

I think we are at the beginning of a very exciting and what hopefully will be a successful era!! If dr Dave can continue to bring in quality signings that will improve the current team and also help the youngsters achieve their potential!! The potential has been there for a couple of years but I feel the signings for this season have been superb and have brought us a hell of a long way in a few short months and if don't win something this year I don't think it's time to panic!!
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Before some suddenly think we are world beaters remember the thoughts a few weeks ago after playing Leinster and Munster :(
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Tell us more rooster. How would you feel if the season finished as is?

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Rooster wrote:Before some suddenly think we are world beaters remember the thoughts a few weeks ago after playing Leinster and Munster :(
I remember them well my feathered friend, I was bordering on depression yet again. For all the nonsense spouted by Against, the ML is immensely important. The top teams prove by finishing at the top end year after year the importance of having a depth of squad.

Note to Against:
Are you really dumb enough to suppose that the leagues in France & England are played out week in and week out by the full strength teams ? You appear to know less than even I have given you credit for. What you are saying about the ML was true 4 or 5 years ago, you only need to look at how few games ROG played for Munster whereas now if he is available he is selected. Do keep up my friend, you aren't always on the mark but that post was beneath your level :wink:

The importance of the league is developing your squad and that is one of the things we have managed this year but as I said, to tick that box as a success we have to fight our way into the top 4.

Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Backaway I agree with you up to a point. The ML is your bread and butter and you want to be involved in the top 4 year on year and any team can have a one off run in Europe and it isn't worth a damn if it's not sustained. But to gain credibility a team must back up league success by getting out of the group stages on a regular basis.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:Tell us more rooster. How would you feel if the season finished as is?
Strange one that wile we have got to 1/4 final yet I fail to be convinced the team has yet played it's best and we are 6th in the league even though there have been some terrible performances, then again look at Munster topping the league by some strange freak as they have not been up to much this season either.
Seems we are on a rollercoaster ride this season and you just don't know which way it is going to finish, there have been highs and lows but no real exhilaration and thoughts that this is the best ride I have been on for years, will it go for another high round the next bend or will it just be the flat run to the end?
One thing for sure is luck has really been on our side right from the opening match and we could very easily have lost the first 3, then we get Bath at probably the worst part of their season so far.
We head into the last round of the HEC where we could depending on a couple of results finish up playing Toulouse in Toulouse or as happened get a runners up spot playing Saints in MK, in my eyes that is another serious bit of luck as it is a much more winnable proposition, if we go a step further then we have the luck once more of a home semi final.

So at present while I am happy where we are with a quarter final and still in with a chance of a top 4 in ML I am not entirely happy in that in my view it has been more down to luck than us actually winning and deserving to be in that position.
Marks out of 10 I would say 4. School report, could do better.

At the end of the day though if our freakish luck so far holds out we will be off to Cardiff for a final with the Ladyboys and finish 4th in league go beat the Turnips and have a final with the Ladyboys in Aviva, we get that far and I will be ecstatic :red:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I'd agree with that the Rooster - although 4 is maybe a tad harsh, fair but harsh. Performance wise, we've been poor and I'd agree we've had some luck to date. But like yourself, I have the feeling that we have a couple of big performances in the tank. Tactically we were superb against Biarritz and that shows that in the big games we can perform. I'd like to see a bit more enterprise - a bit more off-loading and better support runners and we could do okay. Humph's kicking has put us in this position, now it's time for the rest of the guys to step up. One huge game V Saints, and even I would be reasonably optimistic heading to the Fair City.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'