Andress to replace Botha

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tevez
Initiate

Re: Andress to replace Botha

Post by Tevez »

Pretty sure he didn't go to the Churchill Cup due to injuries.

On the field he will be an asset.........
If only everyone had Neil McMillan's dedication....
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Red Hand Hero wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: Facts wrong again RHH
93 lions Claw was not selected to the disgust of many pundits, even outside Ireland
96 Claw banned for standing on Olivier Roumat
97 lions Claw selected , but was injured and did not travel.
Meh, two out of three ain't bad. Was Claw not banned for a decent period for using someone's head as a door-mat in the AIL...?
:scratch: :scratch:
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

To do well in the HC you clear need a really good front row, so the loss of BJ is a huge concern. Really don't know how good Andress is/will be but for us to build on this year our front row will need to be strong. Think Court and McAllister could be reasonably strong and we have a load of young props coming through, so Andress will have tough enough competition.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

All our front row players will be IQ - glad one Province is doing its bit :thumright:
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Red Hand Hero wrote:
bootlaced wrote:
When did Jason Leonard play tighthead :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at a high level, the Claw? when did he play at a top level at loose
Little amuses the innocent far less the fool.

In answer to your question, unless I am very much mistaken Leonard played THP for the Lions against NZ for the test series in 1993 when Nick Popplewell of Ireland played Loose.

Claw started life as a THP and then moved to LHP in the twilight of his career. He would have went on the aforementioned Lions tour only he stamped on someone...i think.

Just because a player is picked to play in a certain position does not mean he is up to that standard in that position[normally because there is no reasonable alternative],in those days that you are reflecting upon,players where messed about with on a regular basis,Leonard is a loosehead,and the Claw is a tighthead,quite simple really.If you had Leonard and Claw in a team would you really pick Leonard at tight and the Claw at loose,no you would'nt.I can recall Wallace being picked at prop for the sole reason that he could scrummage low.There are also props being picked recently because they can lift in the lineout, so they are being chosen not for their scrummaging ability, but that they can lift a player in the lineout :wink:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
combatlogo
Novice

Post by combatlogo »

Red Hand Hero wrote:
93 lions Claw was not selected to the disgust of many pundits, even outside Ireland
Meh, two out of three ain't bad. Was Claw not banned for a decent period for using someone's head as a door-mat in the AIL...?
Correct, he twice did a tap dance on Steve Jameson's head in a Cookies v St Mary's game in 1993...I was at it and saw both incidents, he'd have gotten 6 months + today. A lot of controversy about it as someone sent a recording of the game anonymously to the IRFU...think he may have gotten 4 weeks or so for it. check out the summary of his career on his night club's web site, where there's a pathetic whine about this and the Roumat incident.
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

Gerry Thornley is reporting that BJ signing for Munster will be confirmed shortly.

With the change in the laws and subsequently the referee's interpretation of laws, most scrums this year have been a bit of a lottery, BJ has been pinged probably as many times as he has won penalties at scrum time (cables?). Changes to the kicking game has led to teams counter attacking from the back rather than entering into a ping pong kicking contest. Whilst I'll be sad to see BJ leave (as seems likely) and think he's done a great job at developing our current props, does it not make more sense to invest the budget and NIQ spot in a world class back 3 player? The type of player who might be able to more directly influence the scoreboard and results? If the scrum continues to be a lottery for the next couple of seasons then Court/Fitzy/Andress (delete as applicable) are probably more than capable of holding their own.

I await the indignation of the Internet Warriors.
Really?
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

combatlogo wrote:
Red Hand Hero wrote:
Correct, he twice did a tap dance on Steve Jameson's head in a Cookies v St Mary's game in 1993...I was at it and saw both incidents, he'd have gotten 6 months + today. A lot of controversy about it as someone sent a recording of the game anonymously to the IRFU...think he may have gotten 4 weeks or so for it. check out the summary of his career on his night club's web site, where there's a pathetic whine about this and the Roumat incident.
Which of the 50 states do you originate from sir? You are a long way from home.

You may consider the Noble Claw's stamp on Roumat unacceptable, frankly I found the previous hour of the game unacceptable when Claw was punched and kicked around the Parc des Princes by a French 8 that knew there was no other player in the Irish pack that day who would raise a finger.

I was fortunate enough to be in the great man's company when he was asked had he intended to stamp on Roumat's head. He replied almost in outrage "of course I fecking did." I've always liked an honest man. :wink:

He "gotten"/ was given 10 weeks for the Jameson incident - probably about right in 1993 - not a pleasant sight.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BJ Botha set to join Munster

GERRY THORNLEY

NEWS ROUND-UP: BJ BOTHA is set to join Munster on a two-year contract from next season. The 31-year-old Springbok tight-head is out of contract at the end of his three-year deal with Ulster, and has been lined up by Munster in the wake of Tony Buckley’s impending departure to Sale and John Hayes’ expected retirement at the end of the year.

Indeed, Munster (who had sanctioned a one-year contract offer to Buckley) had apparently lined up Botha all along as a solution to their scrum difficulties in recent times and his likely arrival – to be confirmed imminently – represents quite a coup for Magners League leaders, who would still have another overseas vacancy in the wake of Paul Warwick’s departure to Stade Francais next season, alongside Doug Howlett, Lifeimi Mafi and Peter Borlase.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 33263.html

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

>#

Humph better have someone decent to fill his NIQ gap!!!!
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I've never heard of a player reported as signing for so many clubs as BJ this season. Either no one knows what the hell is going on - or Brendan is some negotiator.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Nah this rumour has crept up too many times for it not to be true or have some truth to it.

Since when where Irish provinces able to compete for the same player?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under teh impression that the IRFU were wanting to develop local talemnt at prop and out half and were not too supportive of sides using NIQ players for those roles.

I wish BJ all the best - he must have negotiated a good deal cos the Lions were offering big money I hear ... but makes a mockery of targeting key area of weakness!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Who says we're competing big al?

Maybe DHumph wants to use Irishmen in the front row and sign an import at the back. It would certainly curry favour with the IRFU, if Andress signs we'll have 4 IQ tightheads.

Fleg - I reckon you're right but Munster will have enough cash to 'go it alone' and will have twisted the IRFU arms by pointing out that they've had to accommodate Buckley and Hayes for too long, resulting in failing to qualify for the HEC QFs
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Could be some truth in that ... they might see BJ as a travelling scrum doctor - I think he has done wonders for Court & Paddy Mac, maybe he gets a bye ball to be seen as a player to bring on the youf, and to keep his CV sharp he only agreed to help Munster if Mushy left!!!!