If Northampton was tomorrow....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Ulsterscall
Novice

If Northampton was tomorrow....

Post by Ulsterscall »

Thought I would get the build up for this one going stupidly early but then we have got 12 years of anticipation to catch up on! Given our last couple of performances and the surging confidence that inevitably follows I would love to be playing Northampton now especially give their recent run of four losses in a row. You get the feeling that we may be set to peak at just the right time and that they may struggle to recover their early season momentum. If the game was played now I think we would have to be strong favourites. The interesting thing will be to see if Ashdon, Foden, Wood, Lawes et al returning can turn the tide for them or whether the malaise may have sunk too deep (heres hoping), even with their list of stars to come back we aren't short of a few names to add to the panel ourselves with 1F, BJ, Rory, Paddy, Dan and Tom hopefully all back to add their experience. May be controversial but, apart from the front row, i'm not sure if our returning stars would greatly strengthen whats there whilst theirs inevitably will. I'm going to stake my colours to the mast and say that we will win in April but if it was us against them now I'd be even happier!!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: If Northampton was tomorrow....

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

If auntie had b.......
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

... I'd have missed my feckin flights!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

LOL BR.

The key point is the Ashton, Fodden and Wood point. These guys have been outstanding for England. Wood is a very under-rated player - I think he's been terrific for England. In Ferris, we have an equal. Ashton is a worry with his inside support lines and Fodden is a cracking wee player at the back.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BUZZ2491
Novice

Post by BUZZ2491 »

If you believe (as I do) that bookmakers are very rarely wrong when offering odds on any given event,then I would like to point out that they also have noticed the differing fortunes of us and the Saints recently.The odds on an Ulster victory in MK have shortened from 9/2 to 7/2! Can't agree that we would be favourites if the game was tomorrow but ....we do have 6 weeks to persuade the bookies to shorten those odds some more.Great to see the contrasting results/performances again this week.Bring it on!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Saints haven't won a game in the AP in 2011!!!!

They're form has plummetted, although bringing back Woods, Ashton, Foden and Hartley will help no doubt, but sure we've Botha, Wallace, Best, Ferris, Tuohy etc to bring back into our 1st XV.
Rule13b
Novice

Post by Rule13b »

feel that Ulster are in with a real shout against Northampton, their form is away to hell of late. I know that they are missing players with the " glorious" England but hen we have a number missing as well on international duty and Injury too.
What has really made me hopefull has been the quality of our alleged 2nd String.
In my opinon some of those missing at the moment could find it hard enough to get back in.
I thought that Luke Marshall had tremendous game on Friday night and slotted in very comforably and cerainly if it was this performance at 12 against e previous week at 12 there would be no compeition.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Integrating Northampton's international players back to the squad after the 6N may not be straightforward either... it is a time when teams have come unstuck in the past.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote: I'm not sure you can really tell anything about either teams "true" form at the minute.
Maybe not, but given that our likely QF 'choice' was between Northampton and Toulouse (Clear at the top of the T14; haven't lost at home this season) - I know which one I'm happier with.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
JohnI
Novice

Post by JohnI »

Agre with most of your sentiments and that IF you were playing us tomorrow then yes you probably would be favourite to take it especially due to our poor form of recent weeks.
However it isnt tomorrow thankfully and whilst you have mentioned the england players who are obviously key players missing from the team dont forget those other players who are also key and out presently but due to return soon; namely Lawes (injured and only played his first half game last week), Dickson (nearly back to playing fitness after injury and 'very' sorely missed at 9), Ansbro (risen in stature this season with scotland, injured at bath 2 weeks agao and should be available from next week). So with the 4 on england duty, 2 injured and 1 on scotland duty nearly half the team are missing at present but should be all back by the QF. A lot will depend though as has also been mentioned that teams do tend to suffer sometimes after the internationals getting players back into the club perspective so we shall have to see who handles it better.
All in all everything to play for and should be a cracker with all saints tickets sold and im sure all ur 5000 will go also. Unfortunately work will have me on the other side of the world on that day but I shall be listening at the time hoping for a 'home (in name only) win.
Good luck and enjoy the day(s) and game for those travelling over.
Royster
Novice

Post by Royster »

It may be worth pointing out to you John that Ulster are also missing seven first team players from the current squad through Int'l duty,Court,Best,Wallace,Danielli and injuries to Ferris, BJ Botha and Cave. What muddies the waters somewhat is that our replacements have stepped up to the mark and we appear to have unearthed a couple of nuggets who will make it difficult for some of the regulars to re-establish themselves. Also as the season goes on our Saffers are settling in more and more and it all adds up to making the Q/F clash with your team very interesting indeed. Sorry to hear you are going to miss it.
Royster
Novice

Post by Royster »

Sorry,forgot about Dan Tuohy who would be playing in the second row. He is injured as well.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Well if you are saying that the match would be tomorrow AND both teams had their internationals back, then Northampton would still remain huge favourites and rightly so. Good win against Cardiff last weekend but most of our performances in recent weeks would not have been good enough to win an away H Cup QF.

Ulster have a chance but then again a lot of people on here thought we had a decent chance away to BO and looked what happened. It's probably the best chance we could have had based on the possible opponents, but Northampton will be formidable at home recent Heiny history suggests away wins at this stage are a rarity.
Rule13b
Novice

Post by Rule13b »

Bar S Northampton are not entirely at home as you may have noticed the match is nbeing played in Milton Keynes. wud be like Ulster playing at the Aviva in the Semi final technically at home but different venue. Personally I feel that if we keep up the winning sequence and they continue to loose then we could have the indian sign on them.

Anyway it is a one off match and is up for grabs and Ulser might just want it more.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Bart S wrote:Well if you are saying that the match would be tomorrow AND both teams had their internationals back, then Northampton would still remain huge favourites and rightly so. Good win against Cardiff last weekend but most of our performances in recent weeks would not have been good enough to win an away H Cup QF.

Ulster have a chance but then again a lot of people on here thought we had a decent chance away to BO and looked what happened. It's probably the best chance we could have had based on the possible opponents, but Northampton will be formidable at home recent Heiny history suggests away wins at this stage are a rarity.
dead right.. and the fastest way to a massive beating is to rock up there thinking we're going to batter them..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden