Positives & Negatives: Ulster V Glasgee

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Positives & Negatives: Ulster V Glasgee

Post by againstthehead »

I haven't see an awful lot of marshall but I don't think he's the most physical of players? Last night was a physical encounter and both Cave and spence stood up very well.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

againstthehead wrote:I haven't see an awful lot of marshall but I don't think he's the most physical of players? Last night was a physical encounter and both Cave and spence stood up very well.
Hence the reason for Whitten instead of Gaston, perhaps there is more behind some of the team picks than some here think
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

againstthehead wrote:I haven't see an awful lot of marshall but I don't think he's the most physical of players? Last night was a physical encounter and both Cave and spence stood up very well.
He's a big unit, legs like tree trunks. Being too small isn't a problem, he's not far from 100kg
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Big-al wrote:
He's a big unit, legs like tree trunks. Being too small isn't a problem, he's not far from 100kg
Neither am I but that's a different story :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

As an ex forward myself i am well impressed with our from row .Jerry Cronin is getting better every match..........Andy and paddy mac both played great.... im loving scrum time... lol.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Jerry has been a revelation so far. I had no expectations and thought he was a squad filler........all kinds of wrong!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Big-al wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:
by Big-al » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Yep, Spence look to be a winger who can play at 13. Trimble and Spence on the wings. Payne at FB and Marshall/Cave in the centre
And waste our most potent attacking winger, Gilroy?
Well Spence can't pass, no way is he a 12, nor should he play at 13 if Cave is fit
Maybe you are hyperbolising but you have used a lot of absolutes there Al. Nev is a young player and can develop the passing side of his game. I'd also play Nev over Cave as the former is turning into Ulster's go to guy who simply must be on the pitch as much as possible. I love watching Spence play, he is a bundle of energy. In every tackle he gives it his all and it shows. He punches well above his weight and has such huge committment in everything he does on the pitch. Look at how he hit the ruck like a flanker before Marshall scored and then who was first into support Henry over the line. Spence is a momentum builder which is so crucial in rugby, shafting him out to the wing would be the ruination of his career. Saying he can't pass is plan wrong he can, he will improve and he can offload too. As Fuzzy rightly says Gilroy is a dangerous runner too, the crowd seemed to buzz in expectation when he gets the ball. I'd say McGlocks will have many a headache after the WC.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Snipe Watson wrote:Jerry has been a revelation so far. I had no expectations and thought he was a squad filler........all kinds of wrong!
If he hasn't got a F/Time contract, its criminal. Excellent squad player and has not taken a backward step yet. Good body position and was working the weegee hooker all night. I would like to see him scrum against better opposition, and see how he goes. Glad hes got his chance. Looks like an honest, wholehearted player, and that's credit in my book.
Exterminate all rational thought
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

It's not so much that he can't pass, he's not great at it, its more that he has a tendency to try to run through everything. Firstly, he needs to build more confidence in that side of his game. Secondly, he needs to learn when to pass. The first one will come with hard work, good coaching and perseverance. The second will come with maturity.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Flip me lads, Nev is one our most naturally gifted young players - give the lad a chance. He NEVER takes a step backwards and has a crunching tackle - that alone makes him one of the best 12's in the magners.... He hasn't played a lot at 12 and there is NO doubt he will develop with time. I'd rather see a player run straight and hard and recycle the ball than simply pass the pill out to the wing who inevitably gets slaughtered by the cover defence. Let's see how the next few games pan out - i'd certainly like to see a bit of Marshall at 12. If he's the real deal too then maybe spence could be accomodated on the wing. Although young Gilroy and Trimble may have something to say about that... Great to be having these debates - I can't remember a time when Ulster had so many potential options in the backline.

What does worry me a little is the lack of young guys coming through the pack? Leinster seem to have a conveyer belt of back-rowers. i know we lost pollock to a dreadful injury but is there anyone else in the pipeline? Birch any good?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

againstthehead wrote: What does worry me a little is the lack of young guys coming through the pack? Leinster seem to have a conveyer belt of back-rowers. i know we lost pollock to a dreadful injury but is there anyone else in the pipeline? Birch any good?
Willies cousin Neil is in the academy now, played 8 for RSA, every bit as mad as Willie at getting stuck in and I would be surprised if he does not appear in a couple of years
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Remember Earls has even less of a pass than Spence, and he's a Lion!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Marshall is 5'11" and just under 15 stone. I don't think that he will get any smaller. Given full time training and the fact that he has just turned 20. I think he will be very physical when needed.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Hence the reason for Whitten instead of Gaston, perhaps there is more behind some of the team picks than some here think
Think McGlocks and Co know more about the players than we do, plenty of time to whinge about the team, coaches and tactics when we lose and play bad.....and I'll probably be one of the 1st to do it :wink:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Your front row were up against some really weak looking fat lads,so it's hard to judge how you will fare against a better front row,
They handled both of Quins frontrows rather well last week.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.