Aironi v Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Re: Aironi v Ulster

Post by Lurgan Lad »

With all the talk of Spence's distribution it was good seeing him passing for Whitten's try, and then off his left hand for Gilroy's try, not amazingly pretty but did the job. Agree on Cronin, pretty poor decision. Concerned about the scrum, isn't often Paddy Mac and co have so much trouble, also thought weather like that would suit the kind of game we play. Paul Marshall again seemed to be a mixture of hot and cold.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Reff seemed a bit whistle happy, as he also pulled them back for the penalty when D'Arcy was almost at the line, (6mins in video) surely playing a phase of advantage was on there ?
Whitten looks useful enough on the wing as I doubt whether Gilroy or some of the other young chaps would have had the power to go through there, could be a bit of a find for a winger and could well be a great bench option now as he can cover centre or wing.
Touhy looking good for that try as well.
It looked damned hot
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

spence looked stuffed when he went off!!!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

againstthehead wrote:spence looked stuffed when he went off!!!
I had to open the windows to cool down even watching those highlights :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Poeple go on about lost try bonus points --while very nice to get. They are also normally the hardest to get and virtually impossible away from home. The bonus points that count are the losing bonus points on away games. Its your defence that wins leagues.

If bonus points were easy they wouldn't be called bonus points.

To be on the wrong side for a whistle happy Referee away from home ,especially a referee trying to make his mark ( inexperienced ) is really par for the course. The lesson to be learned is that give a ref the opportunity to penalise you he will -- Ulster might get away with something at Ravenhill --- but not away from home.

Second match of the season- first away fixture ---it is a good lesson to learn and learn quickly.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
David Craig
Novice

Post by David Craig »

I have said since the draw for the heiny cup that no team should expect 10 points from Aironi. In Italy it will be very difficult. I hope I am wrong where Ulster are concerned but very few teams get a winning bonus point against them.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

rumncoke wrote:Poeple go on about lost try bonus points --while very nice to get. They are also normally the hardest to get and virtually impossible away from home. The bonus points that count are the losing bonus points on away games. Its your defence that wins leagues.
Balls. Absolute balls.

1. We scored 3 and seemed to have ample opportunities to score a 4th try none of which we took.
2. A point is a point is a point.
3. How is a losing BP better than a try BP, when the latter comes with 4 additional points attached to it and the former doesn't?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster,if that was the one I recall from the radio commentary, I think he ended the advantage for a forward pass not that I saw anything that looked forward on the vid.

Colin M & Rum'n: I think I know what Rum'n is talking about about albeit it isn't clear, merit on both sides but its hard to argue against wins & if you get BPs all well and good. The top teams always set out to win & obviously take points where they can and if they lose they scrap like hell to make it narrow.

The point about defence is well made and I'm pretty sure that previous league tables will confirm that the league winners are usually the team with the best or close to best defensive record rather than necessarily garnerers of try BPs.

Of course we can all bleat and moan about this & that but the final whistle has gone the score is in the record books & all this is, much ado about SFA, as old Billy Spokeshave used to say. From listening to the commentary I think we got at least as much as we deserved for a less than good performance.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Baggy; Whilst your defence point has some validity, Ulster's defence in this league has traditionally been good; indeed, typically Ulster's defence has ranked higher in the league than the position occupied based on points won. Ulster's problems have stemmed from a lacklustre and inconsistent attacking game. Although this is not necessarily a model for the game as a whole, the team who wins leagues will have a good defence but they will also be in the top few in terms of attack. Defence wins it (Munster had the best defence last season and sat at the top of the league) but they were only the third best in attack. Ulster, on the other hand, had the 4th best defence and the 5th best attack. It's interesting that Ulster finished 3rd in the league, despite these stats.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Can't remember which season Neil but not too many years ago we were very high in the try scoring stats but our league position was 8th I think because our kicking was poor as was our defence.

Last season as you say we were third but not in the stats categories you think would count. Reason I think being our propensity for the dramatic & last gaps narrow wins. It was a lot of cardiac trouble for most of us but a lot of excitement to boot. Hope we can do things with a little less stress this year but you'd take a last minute 60 yarder from Ruan or Humph at Leicester or Clermont. :wink: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

We appear to be able to run trys in from 20-30 metres but our finishing from close to the whitewash is horrific. Need to work on the pick and goes and rolling mauls...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

ColinM wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Poeple go on about lost try bonus points --while very nice to get. They are also normally the hardest to get and virtually impossible away from home. The bonus points that count are the losing bonus points on away games. Its your defence that wins leagues.
Balls. Absolute balls.

1. We scored 3 and seemed to have ample opportunities to score a 4th try none of which we took.
2. A point is a point is a point.
3. How is a losing BP better than a try BP, when the latter comes with 4 additional points attached to it and the former doesn't?
Not getting the BP was slightly annoying as two weeks in a row we have been in the position of having three tries with time for a fourth but are unsuccessfull in making it happen. I personally don't think it is a major flaw in the team as such. I think it might in some instances come down to individuals in key roles getting it wrong or making unforced errors at crucial times. When I was listening to the coverage on radio Ulster with Gusher MC (in da house), according to the excitment in his voice it sounded as if the last play that Ulster had at the end of the game was our best opportunity to score. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone else who listened in, but Gusher claimed there was a certain try in the corner (or something to that effect) if the ball was moved out wide. At the time Gusher said Marshall (Luke) had knocked on and I remember thinking that was unsual as from what I have seen his handling is superb. Looking at the highlights you can clearly see that the pass he received from Marshall (Paul) was horrendous preventing any chance of a late try securing the BP. Having said that I didn't see the game so can't really comment on the overall performance. I think we need to bare in mind our limits as we have quality players in many positions, with the WC on we still have some key areas with below standard players. I like Marshall and his break for Gilroy's try was fantastic yet sometimes passing is ropey and kicking..I won't go there. We could have Habana and Sonny Bill Williams in the backline but if they don't get the ball, it isn't their fault. A weak link can really impede a teams progress. Not saying it is all his fault, but just pointing out where it may have gone wrong in the quest for that magical 4th try.

Wouldn't mind a three try win over Cardiff. Payne hat-trick would do it! :salut:
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone else who listened in, but Gusher claimed there was a certain try in the corner (or something to that effect) if the ball was moved out wide. At the time Gusher said Marshall (Luke) had knocked on and I remember thinking that was unsual as from what I have seen his handling is superb. Looking at the highlights you can clearly see that the pass he received from Marshall (Paul) was horrendous preventing any chance of a late try securing the BP.
That would be how I read it, Gusher came out with that just before the final whistle and the video is of that move.
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Gusher's voice over for the highlights is somewhat less manic than his live reporting - interesting!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Not getting the BP was slightly annoying as two weeks in a row we have been in the position of having three tries with time for a fourth but are unsuccessfull in making it happen. I personally don't think it is a major flaw in the team as such. I think it might in some instances come down to individuals in key roles getting it wrong or making unforced errors at crucial times.

Dave, sorry but have to point out that those individuals you say are making errors are part of the team and as such I do think it is a major flaw. Indeed it has been for a few seasons now. We seem to panic when we get into the red zone and rarely do we come away with a try after sustained pressure. We might get a penalty but usually we balls it up and knock it on.

In an earlier thread we all stated what would be a good season for Ulster and many stated that getting more bonus points would be key to securing a top 2 place. Those people are now saying that 2 wins from 2 is good and not to worry about missing two BPs against Glasgow (well beaten) and Aironi (other top sides will get BPs against them).

I hope these two dropped points don't come back to haunt us next May.
LTHG