Nerves = shot

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Nerves = shot

Post by Rooster »

Tom wrote:Henry was defo MOTM... His best game in an Ulster shirt
Awesome drive from him near the start of the second half, 1F would have been proud of it
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Big lump Danielli? That's harsh. Just because Darcy makes one break does not mean he is now first choice fullback.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Royster wrote:What a game! What an atmosphere! What a competition! Surely the Heineken Cup must be the best rugby competition in the world.
Yep it sure is. :twisted: :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

With the French it really does depend what side turns up !!! They missed a couple of penalties in the first half that could have seen them through. Ulster played poor in the 1st half and the French played poor in the 2nd half. Strange decision for them to take their half backs off when they did and to be honest that played a large part in them losing their way.

Needless to say a good win for Ulster. It was tense due to the score being close and coming from behind and thankfully the French lost their way after a bright start.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Cockatrice wrote:With the French it really does depend what side turns up !!! They missed a couple of penalties in the first half that could have seen them through. Ulster played poor in the 1st half and the French played poor in the 2nd half. Strange decision for them to take their half backs off when they did and to be honest that played a large part in them losing their way.

Needless to say a good win for Ulster. It was tense due to the score being close and coming from behind and thankfully the French lost their way after a bright start.
I think Skrela was injured.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
TheWonDon
Initiate

Post by TheWonDon »

Dave wrote:Anyone on the Terrace able shed some light on what happened with P3 and Rory when they scored their try? Seem to be a big reaction on the Terrace and both those looked mighty drunk at the ref.
Rory was at the bottom of a ruck and the Georgian mule Zirakashvili seemed to be on top of him and at his head/face area. P3 seen it and launched himself at him. I didn't see it exactly & don't want to be starting fires but you don't get a reaction like we seen from Rory & P3 for nothing.

If something nasty did happen and the officials missed it then that's why we have citing officers.

Anyway, enough serious talk, WHAT A RESUT!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The crowd were booming, the players faught and performed like gladiators. Our pack were as strong as any in Europe today.

This one will live long in the memory :red:
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Gouging?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

TheWonDon wrote:
Dave wrote:Anyone on the Terrace able shed some light on what happened with P3 and Rory when they scored their try? Seem to be a big reaction on the Terrace and both those looked mighty drunk at the ref.
Rory was at the bottom of a ruck and the Georgian mule Zirakashvili seemed to be on top of him and at his head/face area. P3 seen it and launched himself at him. I didn't see it exactly & don't want to be starting fires but you don't get a reaction like we seen from Rory & P3 for nothing.

If something nasty did happen and the officials missed it then that's why we have citing officers.

Anyway, enough serious talk, WHAT A RESUT!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The crowd were booming, the players faught and performed like gladiators. Our pack were as strong as any in Europe today.

This one will live long in the memory :red:

Hmmm sounds familer... :duck:
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

TheWonDon wrote:

It seemed to me that Rory was being a bit naughty at the bottom of the ruck by playing the ball and trying to slow it down or even get it back on our side. Les froglegs didn't like it and had a wee go at him - so far, you'd think reasonable enough, but even as he had let the ball go, the Georgian Mule came back at him a second time and with Rory pinned, he held his forearm across Rory's neck and threw several punches at rory's head. All this in full view of the TJ, and if you watch the TJ on the replay when it becomes available, you may see that both rory and Gareth went to him behind the posts to complain when the conversion was being taken. Rory then took it up with barnsie, but to no avail.

Arguably Rory brought some of it on himself, and if it had ended with the first hit, i wouldn't complain too much, but when they came back for seconds against a helpless Rory, it was a step too far.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jackie Brown wrote:Gouging?
Naw - fist was closed.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Very hard to call - i thought hands were being shoved into Rory's face on the floor but was a little too far away to be sure. I was so focused on rory's reaction I missed the clermont try....
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
TheWonDon
Initiate

Post by TheWonDon »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
TheWonDon wrote:

It seemed to me that Rory was being a bit naughty at the bottom of the ruck by playing the ball and trying to slow it down or even get it back on our side. Les froglegs didn't like it and had a wee go at him - so far, you'd think reasonable enough, but even as he had let the ball go, the Georgian Mule came back at him a second time and with Rory pinned, he held his forearm across Rory's neck and threw several punches at rory's head. All this in full view of the TJ, and if you watch the TJ on the replay when it becomes available, you may see that both rory and Gareth went to him behind the posts to complain when the conversion was being taken. Rory then took it up with barnsie, but to no avail. Arguably Rory brought some of it on himself, and if it had ended with the first hit, i wouldn't complain too much, but when
they came back for seconds against a helpless Rory, it was a step too far.
Cheers for the clear up Cap'n, as unpleasant as getting punched while defenceless is I'm glad gouging hasn't reared it's filthy head again. When I seen a flash of the incident and then the reaction I feared the worst.
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

With no disrespect to Claremont. Some of their fans hardly looked the least bit interested in the rugby and were just there for a good time! Especially the fans infront of me. Great game. Agree Henry was outstanding and how about smallpox box kicking? Beautiful. Humph kicking was not as good. He kicked straight down the throat of Byrne who dropped very little. Still great win.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Piecing a few bits together, what I saw was Rory trying to be light fingered on the ground however he took much more of a battering than he "deserved" and fully believe the touchie on the terrace side saw exactly as it happened and he encroached onto the pitch as if to get involved. In my reading of the laws penalty against Rory which should then have been reversed. Meanwhile a mate on the promenade reported at halftime that he thought a couple of Ulster players stopped as Clermont took advantage.

Be that as it may I don't blame the ref for playing on/advantage or if he even knew anything had happened. The touchie was the man getting all the flack as he knew exactly what had happened. I simply think he thought Rory got what was coming to him and that whatever punishment he received was not sufficiently harsh to warrant bringing the game back.

Right or wrong as he may have been, I think thats what happened & in fairness it probably would have been unjust to bring it back. I doubt very much that anything other than a punch went Rory's way.

I too missed all but the touchdown so no idea if Ulster players stopped or if an did who may have made a difference.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

With all respect Baggy, look again. Rory was well away from the ball by the time he hit theground so his fighting for the ball was legit. He was then was trapped under the ruck with his head sticking out while the Claremont loosehead bunched him in the face and followed through with his forearm or another punch. Where was Mr Barnes at the time? 10ft away looking at the ruck. He was more at fault than the TJ.
Then P3 said hello

Otherwise he had a good game, I thought. Barnes that is
Cheers Colin :thumleft: