Ian Humphreys

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ian Humphreys

Post by cables »

jackthelad wrote:I think it's more likely what he says to his Mum when he needs a dump.
Perhaps you are correct as just posted 'bombs away'!
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:Out of all our players, Ian Humphreys is the most creative we have. On a regular basis he creates opportunities and tries for himself and other people. He did it a lot last season. Against Connacht he scored a wonderful solo try from 40m out. If for example Darren Cave had have scored that, we would have lauded him a hero and heir to BOD's throne (and quite rightly so). Barely gets a mention though. Why? My theory is because folk have maligned him in the passed and don't wish to have their hypothesis about a player challenged so its avoided. Its like how some tool suggested Dan Touhy was a show pony, he's played out of his skin the last two games and hardly gets a mention. Doesn't fit the hypothesis. Now humph kicks some monster pens and has a decent game otherwise, but misses an easy one and a touch kick. Ignore the positive as it challenges the hypothesis and accept the negative is it confirms the hypothesis.

Don't know if I'm making sense but I'm tired of the reactionary and absolutist bullshyt that people post about players when we loose or they make a mistake.
Ah Dave, are we related or just metaphorically joined at the hip and with a telepathic understanding, not of course forgetting our uncanny ability to post good sense. Jaysus wouldn't it be great if there more like us about here. :salut: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Now Sniper, there is a very good reason why I will not respond to your challenge to name one or several more players not as good as Humphreys as a first choice. You will heartily agree with me when I deliver that reason for I know you to be of sound mind and with the best interests if Ulster at heart. In fact I would name around 7 players possibly more who I feel are nowhere near as important to the team though that perhaps is a little different matter.

The reason is there are so many buffoons about who wish to seize on every opportunity to revile or praise certain players, they will receive no grist for that particular mill from me. I assume you wholeheartedly agree.

Tombomb: I posted my previous response prior to reading all the negative post you have received. Contrary to some opinion I don't enjoy the role of bully, its simply that some people are so horrendously stupid that I can't control my vexation levels to show them tolerance - I'm sure you understand. In any event I have no wish to add to your troubles so please don't feel obliged to respond to my post. I no longer care a jot about your lack of capitals, overly long, poorly punctuated, rambling sentences.

You may indeed be a very young poster and therefore should be protected from the worst excesses of the mob currently seeking your utter humiliation & some of these older hands should consider that. So what if your posts are gibberish. I'm sure the moderators will take steps to protect you from abuse.

Fear not the scalding wrath in some of the harsher voices, you are not the first to be meted out such treatment. Don't give up at this first setback. Trust that you can become a better poster, I've seen it before. Young Fuzzy - he of the hundred guldering smilies - was once the object of similar scorn for some injudicious tripe however some months later, if not the apple of everyone's eye he has become a poster of greater substance. You can be better TomBomb, trust me I'm perfect & a most wonderful judge of character.

There now, I hope you feel better after that. :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cables wrote:
jackthelad wrote:I think it's more likely what he says to his Mum when he needs a dump.
Perhaps you are correct as just posted 'bombs away'!
Almost 9 pm cables, bed time :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ardglass2 wrote:
Dave wrote: Its like how some tool suggested Dan Touhy was a show pony,

As the person who started that thread I see you have an inability to understand English..something you are not alone in.

Yes I used an eye catching title to grab peoples attention but at NO TIME did I describe Tuohy as a Show pony. I put something items of evidence before the group and asked a question. You will fine no values judgements from me whatsoever in that thread.

So when making an arguement it is best not to put words in other peoples mouths that were never uttered.

Exactly the same is happening here re Jackson and iHumph. Some here, of which I am one, believe we should look at Pienaer, Jackson, Wallace, Cave. This has now been misinterpreted into a call to drop iHumph for Jackson.

Thing about it - Wallace will not be fit for 6 weeks so how can such a line up occur in the near future.
My view is we should take a look at such a line up towards the end of the season - droping iHumph for Jackson now would be madness. No one else, as far as I am aware have said any different but some here have again added 2+2 and got five.

Lets agree to respond to an opinion by quoting what was actually posted rather than twisted it to suit your response :duh: :banghead:
I said that some tool suggested Dan was a show Pony. You said you didn't describe Dan as a show Pony. You also say I can't understand English. There is a massive difference in the English language between the words suggest and describe. I don't care who started the thread nor did I implicate you directly. I stand by my statement that anyone who suggests Dan Touhy is a show Pony is infact a tool. Whether you wish to implicate yourself or NOT in that statement is non of my concern. Now lets get back to the sub plot of this thread of tombomb's hilarious post.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

In 10 league and Cup matches this year to date the wings have only scored 3 trys 2 by Gilroy and ! by Trimble. for the last three years the try count for the Ulster wingers have fallen year on year.

Would dropping Humphreys for Jackson be madness ?

The Alternative is of course to drop Gilroy Trimble Cave and Spence because they aren't scoring often enough.

Sometimes poeple forget Rugby is a team game and he who scores the try is the last man to get the ball problem some poeple don't get the ball . Why ?
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

rumncoke wrote:In 10 league and Cup matches this year to date the wings have only scored 3 trys 2 by Gilroy and ! by Trimble. for the last three years the try count for the Ulster wingers have fallen year on year.

Would dropping Humphreys for Jackson be madness ?

The Alternative is of course to drop Gilroy Trimble Cave and Spence because they aren't scoring often enough.

Sometimes poeple forget Rugby is a team game and he who scores the try is the last man to get the ball problem some poeple don't get the ball . Why ?
Interesting points Rumn, I wonder does "over coaching" come into it as well?
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Slight correction Rum - Humphreys was on the wing for one of his tries. :wink:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The question remains..........should Ulster start with PJ for a run of games; now, in the New Year, after the HEC group games or next season?

We really do not know what we have in PJ. Could be great, could be a flop.
I'd wait till Paddy W is back and then have a structured introduction where both players know what is happening.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

rumncoke wrote:for the last three years the try count for the Ulster wingers have fallen year on year.
I looked at 2008 - 2011 on a per season basis including tries scored by the starting 11's and 14's plus R11's and R14's.

16, 18 and 17 resulted.

That perhaps would suggest around 5/6 being par for the games so far this season but teams played are different AND we were missing Trimble and Danielli early this season.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rather than start again, I am posting the authoritative answer to Humph or Jackson by copying my feelings from another thread, do enjoy it:
As for the young Jackson option, I say this not directly to you but as a general response to those who would favour such an idea so please don't take personal umbrage.

Humph started the season moderately well, got injured, possibly was rushed back too soon after the aforementioned Ginger had two very ordinary outings whilst showing his potential by scoring a peach of a try off a great break against Ospreys, played like a drain against Connacht before scoring a splendid closing try. He then had a decent but not wonderful outing against Clermont, but when he saw D'Arcy break he went after him like a greyhound and got on the end of an exquisite pass from D'Arcy and had the legs to beat their winger to the corner. No other Ulster player looked like getting close to D'Arcy to take a pass. Why not, there are quicker players? ***

Then against Tigers he had an imperfect but by no means a bad game in my boozy opinion, I have not watched it again yet.

Now to the crux of the matter, we have a string of important matches looming, does anyone really think now is the time to throw in a nipper on the off chance he clicks?

If NO - stop reading If YES read on.

Oh really, you've just lost Paddy Wallace for a month or two, Nevin will be our inexperienced 12 unless Luke Marshall another young tyro gets fit & the nod. You have a winger at full back at present a young centre pairing who have hinted at but not confirmed they are a decent pair. You have a winger in his first full season, you have a scrum half who has done manfully these past three weeks, do you really think he needs a novice outside him ?

If NO -stop reading If Yes read on.

I hope by now nobody is reading this but her we go to make the sale:

Can you tell me of one major team who in the middle of the most important period of the season have "rested"/dropped/experimented with their main out half for any reason other than injury?

I'm through with this, if your not convinced, God love your wit. :roll:

*** The answer to that is that Ian has vision that not many of his colleagues share, has talent for the exceptional but also the vaguely ridiculous at times. What all should ponder is who else is remotely as creative as Ian? Paddy Wallace has skill, Darren Cave has both skill and vision. After that you start to struggle, yes there are some like Gilroy who look as if he has something but its a wait and see with him, Spence trades mainly on muscular play and needs to develop other strings to his bow. Luke Marshall looks a talent but we haven't seen all the evidence yet.

Look back to last years best performances & I very much doubt you will find many that didn't have a good Humph performance at the heart of it. Replacing him now would be the dumbest piece of mess Ulster could dream up.
Well now, opinions please :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Re: Re: Ian Humphreys

Post by OneMore »

Snipe Watson wrote:The question remains..........should Ulster start with PJ for a run of games; now, in the New Year, after the HEC group games or next season?

I'd wait till Paddy W is back and then have a structured introduction where both players know what is happening.
Ha, Snipe, you make it sound like putting on Jackson is like playing some sort of fantasy rugby wild card. Like if we pick Paddy Jackson, then at match time we end up with any 10 in world rugby - watch the fans reaction when Dan Carter trots out all in white! I'd be fairly sure the coaches watch Jackson in training day-to-day. Just because we don't see him doesn't mean no-one does.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

There are 2 matches before the Aironi HEC matches, Ruan may be back this week so would it not be a suitable time to have a few combinations at 9 and 10 in these next 2 matches to ensure we are covered for injuries for the Airoini pair.
Start ihumph with Ruan then half time bring Paddy J on for 20 mins and then move Ruan to 10 with p for the final 20, a lot of swapping around but it gives those 4 players the time they need together instead of hitting the panic button 10 mins into the first Aironi match if one goes down injured.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Well now, opinions please :wink:
You could have the decency to give a considered and question specific answer rather than a recycled oul piece of tat.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Re: Ian Humphreys

Post by Snipe Watson »

OneMore wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:The question remains..........should Ulster start with PJ for a run of games; now, in the New Year, after the HEC group games or next season?

Ha, Snipe, you make it sound like putting on Jackson is like playing some sort of fantasy rugby wild card. Like if we pick Paddy Jackson, then at match time we end up with any 10 in world rugby - watch the fans reaction when Dan Carter trots out all in white!
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
I'd be fairly sure the coaches watch Jackson in training day-to-day. Just because we don't see him doesn't mean no-one does
We need to see him have an extended run of games to see if he can cut it in the heat of battle.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I'd give him a start againest Munster or Leinster away, provided we have Wallace and/or Ruan to guide him. I thought our backline looked dangerous earlier on when he played, it was our pack that ahd let us down in those games