Ian Humphreys

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Windeos
Warrior Chief

Ian Humphreys

Post by Windeos »

He frustrates me more than any other player in a long long time. Without Pienaar playing 9 he just isn't the same player.

He does some things that are spectacular but far to many completely amateur silly mistakes. Are we capable of calling a back move other than crash ball??

The penalty miss in front of the posts plus that stupid touch miss was just unforgivable. We need a fly half that we don't need to adjust defensively for.

When the league fixtures come around we need to give Jackson more game time to develop because he is the future.

Really really really frustrated after that game today but I'm tired of Ian Humphreys being so inconsistent.

That Leicester team today was totally beatable and we let them grind us down and not leaving with a bonus point is going to bite us in the ass.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ian Humphreys

Post by Snipe Watson »

Windeos wrote:He frustrates me more than any other player in a long long time. Without Pienaar playing 9 he just isn't the same player.

He does some things that are spectacular but far to many completely amateur silly mistakes. Are we capable of calling a back move other than crash ball??

The penalty miss in front of the posts plus that stupid touch miss was just unforgivable. We need a fly half that we don't need to adjust defensively for.
Possibly a bridge too far
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

He mixes the brilliance with the absurd. Gets away with it at Celtic league level but is not up to it at European level. Hopefully Jackson gets a chance and takes it this year. Humph just not reliable enough.
Binman
Novice

Post by Binman »

Ihump is the best we have at present but there is little doubt that he is too inconsistent to take us to the next level. We need one of the young pretenders to emerge as the world class 10 that all the genuine HC contenders have.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Its a pity as PW or Pienaar would have taken the kick to touch as the right footed option. Really missing Pienaar as an alternative at 10. In fairness to Humph though there aren't many kickers who can boot them over from inside their own half.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

The missed touch was costly but Leicester still had to attack from a long way out. If Flood had done something similar there's no way I could have seen Ulster making them pay tonight in the same way. :(
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Not seen the game,been fishing,but it always seems harsh to me that one person gets the blame when a team loses,didn't the other 14 have any part in the failure to score enough points?
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

I thought individually everybody played pretty well but as a team we were poor. Trimble, Cave and Gilroy all played well yet as a backline we were nothing special. We are far too lateral. We move the ball wide and go nowhere.Why can't we be more direct? Someone needs to straighten the line. My main worry is with no disrespect to the Tigers I don't think that was a particularly good Leicester side and they were definitely beatable.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Binman
Novice

Post by Binman »

I wouldnt blame ihump for the loss. Our back division looked a bit toothless in attack all game. What I would say is that ihumph isn't world class, which is what you need to be in with a genuine chance of winning the HC. Not a criticism of the man just an honestly expressed opinion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

tigerburnie wrote:Not seen the game,been fishing,but it always seems harsh to me that one person gets the blame when a team loses,didn't the other 14 have any part in the failure to score enough points?
Well said tiggerburnie - I did see the game and it was obviously all Paul Marshall's fault.

How he didn't score with that easy chance I'll never know - I mean that time when he raced all the way back, easily beating the best that tiggers threw at him and carried the ball over his own line, what did he do? Touched down for a Tiggers 5m scrum when he should have turned, stepped his opponent, box-kicked over the advancing tiggers, chased and caught his own kick, side-stepped around the slower fat boys in green and run in under the posts from his own half - simples! :roll:

Just don't know how some can be blaming Humph! :banghead:

After all, we all know that everything is Paul's fault :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Paddy Jackson isn't ready yet. Perhaps RP should play 10 when he is fit again. Paul Marshall has had 2 excellent games in a row and deserves to keep his place
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Ian Humphreys

Post by mikerob »

iHump made a couple of mistakes that maybe contributed to losing the game but Ulster didn't do anything to win it.

The back line seemed pretty toothless with a crashball from Spence or Trimble being the main tackle. Thought Cave looked good with ball in hand trying to keep the defence guessing but he couldn't seem to put anyone away.

Scrum being under pressure didn't help.

Getting more out of the backline would be my major concern.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Not seen the game,been fishing,but it always seems harsh to me that one person gets the blame when a team loses,didn't the other 14 have any part in the failure to score enough points?
Well said tiggerburnie - I did see the game and it was obviously all Paul Marshall's fault.

How he didn't score with that easy chance I'll never know - I mean that time when he raced all the way back, easily beating the best that tiggers threw at him and carried the ball over his own line, what did he do? Touched down for a Tiggers 5m scrum when he should have turned, stepped his opponent, box-kicked over the advancing tiggers, chased and caught his own kick, side-stepped around the slower fat boys in green and run in under the posts from his own half - simples! :roll:

Just don't know how some can be blaming Humph! :banghead:

After all, we all know that everything is Paul's fault :duck:
AND ........ when he kicked through and was beaten to the ball, 5m from tiggerline, by Tuilagi, why he didn't just pick him up, carry him over the line, strip of the ball and dot down for the try ........ :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Gary wrote:Paddy Jackson isn't ready yet. Perhaps RP should play 10 when he is fit again. Paul Marshall has had 2 excellent games in a row and deserves to keep his place
What did he do today that made you think that???
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

PW would have added something to that back-line. I think sometimes people forget the difference he makes to us.