What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

pg106
Initiate

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by pg106 »

ruckover wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
pg106 wrote:I know Chris Henry has been playing 7 for most of this season, but he isn't a 7 in the traditional sense, surely he would take the 6 in the absence of Ferris. Also, a quality 7 would help bring on the likes of Ali Birch as well surely?
Chris is a fantastic player, but lacks bulk and dog at 6 or 8. I think he will develop into a fine 7 when he gets his brain rewired.
Already is a fine 7, just needs a little bit more fine tuning. How he's not subbing for Ireland is beyond me.
There is no doubting that Chris is an excellent player, he just needs to develop some of the breakdown techniques/wizardry and perhaps bulk up a bit. I have noticed how good Rory Best seems to be at getting the turn over in tackles and at the breakdown though, I think that he perhaps has been taking more of those responsibilities for both Ulster and Ireland this year.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

ruckover wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
pg106 wrote:Chris is a fantastic player, but lacks bulk and dog at 6 or 8. I think he will develop into a fine 7 when he gets his brain rewired.
Already is a fine 7, just needs a little bit more fine tuning. How he's not subbing for Ireland is beyond me.
There is no doubting that Chris is an excellent player, he just needs to develop some of the breakdown techniques/wizardry and perhaps bulk up a bit. I have noticed how good Rory Best seems to be at getting the turn over in tackles and at the breakdown though, I think that he perhaps has been taking more of those responsibilities for both Ulster and Ireland this year.
Henry wont need to bulk up imo, some 7's are big but others arent. George Smith, Pocock etc arent exactly big opensides
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Unless they resign the likes of Whitten, Faloon and Brady again or have outside replacements of higher standard coming in then we will be in even more deep do do than we are at present, squad still has not enough strength to cope with a few injuries.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
colwynvet
Novice

Post by colwynvet »

Chris Henry is a super rugby player but is a bit small to be a world class 6 or 8 and a bit slow to be a world class 7.

Wonder how he'd have fared if he'd decided to play hooker at an early age. Discuss. :stir:
You don't know! You weren't there!
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Red Hand Hero wrote:
Eggs wrote:
pip14 wrote:Heard today that Whitten isn't having his contract renewed...

I find this absolutely bizarre! He can't be costing us allot, is versatile and has shown some decent potential this season, will be very disappointed if this is true!
Unless pip knows one of Whitten, Humphreys or Constable I would say he's talking through his derry-air. I'd also agree with Eggs and also add that Wallace is getting no younger, Spence isn't a 12 (unless despite the reels of video evidence Humph/McLaughs continue this) and Farrell and Marshall have proven nothing at the highest level we are not exactly as flush at 12 as one might think...

He may be talking through his derry-air but his track record on the rumour front is better than most.
He is one of only a handful I think are worth reading
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Rooster wrote:Unless they resign the likes of Whitten, Faloon and Brady again or have outside replacements of higher standard coming in then we will be in even more deep do do than we are at present, squad still has not enough strength to cope with a few injuries.
Way I see it is do the players named stand up and guide us through when the injuries come? If not, we might as well chuck them and bring through the youngsters if the budget dictates one or the other.

I'd prefer to keep all three but think I could live with any of them going. Of the three named, Whitten's the one going which seems to make most sense - he himself will get better chances of starting regularly elsewhere and there are youngsters coming through who I'd feel just as happy playing as I would Whitten. Although you could say the same of Faloon with Birch's emergence. Brady I'd be the least happy to see go, I'm not sure Annett's ready.

I stress again I'd prefer to keep these players. But I don't think it'd be the end of the world if they went and wouldn't consider them indispensable if money was tight.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Who says Brady is going. Didn't he say something about Ulster or nobody.
I reckon we would keep him till Annett is ready - that isn't yet
pg106
Initiate

Post by pg106 »

colwynvet wrote:Chris Henry is a super rugby player but is a bit small to be a world class 6 or 8 and a bit slow to be a world class 7.

Wonder how he'd have fared if he'd decided to play hooker at an early age. Discuss. :stir:
Yes that is kind of what I was getting at, a good 7 should be quick at the breakdown and quick to see and take opportunities to steal or turn over ball, I personally don't think Henry has that speed.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Ardglass2 wrote:Who says Brady is going. Didn't he say something about Ulster or nobody.
I reckon we would keep him till Annett is ready - that isn't yet
Some posters are going overboard big time.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Just what I heard, may/may not not be true. That's why I posted it in rumours section.
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

pip14 wrote:Just what I heard, may/may not not be true. That's why I posted it in rumours section.
To be sure you did, Pip. Strange the way some will take great offence at mere rumours :wink: the problem being that we are all so thirsty for word of next years squad that it is seen as not quite cricket to simply post a rumour unless you are in a position to state the breed and antecedents of the canine from whom you got the rumour.

Complicated business this rumour stuff.

I heard a rumour that Reggie Dwight is gay but hey, what would I know. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Tony going.

Ryan coming?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
I heard a rumour that Reggie Dwight is gay but hey, what would I know. :shock:

So what!! can he play at 10 or 7 the Ulster Way??
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Heres another rumour for yas! :wink:
Ulsters new coach - Dean Ryan :cowboy:
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Beat Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!
Illegitimi Non Carborundum