Afoa to miss the semi?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

archie
Novice

Afoa to miss the semi?

Post by archie »

Bit worried the big fella will be cited and banned for the tip tackle in te second half. Will be a huge lose if so. How far is Deccie Fitz from fitness as would be a huge ask For Macklin to set up for a semi.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: Afoa to miss the semi?

Post by stickinout »

archie wrote:Bit worried the big fella will be cited and banned for the tip tackle in te second half. Will be a huge lose if so. How far is Deccie Fitz from fitness as would be a huge ask For Macklin to set up for a semi.

This would be very harsh. My take on it was he hit the ground the same time as the tackled player so i can't see how it was a speartackle. He did everything in his power to make sure the player went to ground safely, he didn't lose his balance (unlike warburton) and went down in control. Can't see it happen to be honest but then again when does logic come into it...........?
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Thought it was a firm but fair enough tackle myself--the ref saw it well enough. I wouldn't have complained if roles were reversed. However, any other refs on here care to share their opinions?
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

I saw nothing wrong with it, but its a sensitive subject, so he might get cited.

If so - Fitzpatrick was named in the initial squad, Macklin's come on well this season, and there's always the Court/Paddy option -and I'm happy with any of them if it comes to it.
Joony-k
Novice

Post by Joony-k »

If he gets cited it will be a travesty. It was a great tackle made to look bad by a couple of Munster players throwing their arms up in the air. Ref Saw it as legal as did most people but i agree there is now definitely too much confusion over 'tip-tackles'. Hopefully nothing more will be made of this and we can save our breath for actual dangerous tackles.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

He'll probably get cited, but hopefully thats all, a world class tackle, no intent or malice.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

At the time thought it was a bit of a dangerous tackle. For people to watch it in slow motion and make judgements from it is total nonsense, the most important thing is the intent and control. Have to say Afoa put in some fantastic tackles today, the intensity from our pack was brilliant.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

He tipped him over alright but i didn't think he dropped him so should be OK
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Wish people would shutup about intent, been gone over hundreds of times on here about how its not relevant.

Jones looks like he came down shoulder first, if this is the case then Afoa is gone, if not, theres no problem.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I only saw the one replay but thought jones came down on his back. Anyone know the suspension lengths for this type of offence?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Dave wrote:I only saw the one replay but thought jones came down on his back. Anyone know the suspension lengths for this type of offence?
3 weeks to 10+ weeks but as the recent Hartley and Clark cases have shown, there may be leniency for being suitably contrite and turning up in a nice suit.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

fuzzylogic wrote:Wish people would shutup about intent, been gone over hundreds of times on here about how its not relevant.

Jones looks like he came down shoulder first, if this is the case then Afoa is gone, if not, theres no problem.

Did you look at it in slow mo? In real time i thought they landed pretty much together and so i can't see how it's a spear tackle if the tackler lands at approximately the same time as the tackled player. As for intent, should it not be as relevant as how someone appears or how they conduct themselves at a hearing?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I didn't get a proper viewing of this and I have not seen it since. I think the ref was right beside it though so this would not be a feather in his cap if they dish out a ban.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by stickinout » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Did you look at it in slow mo? In real time i thought they landed pretty much together and so i can't see how it's a spear tackle if the tackler lands at approximately the same time as the tackled player. As for intent, should it not be as relevant as how someone appears or how they conduct themselves at a hearing?
Yep, 100% a spear tackle... Felix shoulder is the first thing to hit the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... fO2jjNivyU
Mary had a little lamb . . .
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

I'd go along with what snipe is saying, in my eyes it ain't a spear tackle. Nonetheless JOnes does seem to land on shoulder and neck so it could be deemed as a dangerous tackle. In slo mo it does look dangerous ......... here's hoping if he's cited, he's cleared.