The 10 Shirt

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Who starts at 10 next week?

Ian Humph
33%
Wee Paddy
67%
St. Ruan
No votes

Total votes: 100

stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: The 10 Shirt

Post by stickinout »

Rooster wrote:SOB was targetingginger Paddy last night and got taken down by the boot laces several times so I would be happy enough with him playing 10, ihumph I'm sorry to say has been AWOL for most of the season, in fact trying to remember when last he had a good game :scratch:
I thought he played decent enough in the HC group stages, few brain farts (if any) played a safe enough game, mixed it up and let loose the backs with that lovely long pass that sits in front of his centres. Kicking reasonably as well. His recent form hasn't been great, that i'll agree with.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

i think after the last few weeks we can take the chance to start PJ and bring iHumph in if it's not working. an element of the younger squad members must be champing at the bit to be involved and I think UR can exploit that. after Thomond, however, iHumph may be the natural choice for McGlock who does err toward conservatism at times.

the thing about iHumph this season is that if his creativity with ball in hand is loose and his kicking poor, he's a difficult man to include. I remember a quote from O'Callaghan after Deccie's grand slam where he said playing with O'Gara was like going out on the town with your sister, you had to be aware of anyone and everyone targeting him. IH is like that and if the threat of PJ taking his place can't get him fit and firing then I feel for the man.

PJ's all round game in the last two games has been a sight to see. The way he acquitted himself against a strong Leinster team tells you a lot; more experienced players didn't show half his composure.

IH was, for my money, very good against Clermont at Ravers. He's had flashes since; not a season to remember by any means but he's not been as outstandingly bad as some would have you believe.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Gazpacho wrote:
Rooster wrote:SOB was targetingginger Paddy last night and got taken down by the boot laces several times so I would be happy enough with him playing 10, ihumph I'm sorry to say has been AWOL for most of the season, in fact trying to remember when last he had a good game :scratch:
Jeez would some of you guys get a grip!
Just before the biggest game we have faced in 13 years, you really are coming across as ****holes. Yes Humph has not been on top form but some of the vitriol on this site has been pathetic. Get a life and at least find some positivity.
I’ve been saying it since he was at school............not good enough

Here’s the thing............Pedrie is good enough, never lets the team down, plays with complete disregard for his own personal safety, gives 100% every time as if the shirt is all important............. and here’s the really crap bit................he’s off to France. Unfortunately, none of these statements can be made about iHumph without a chorus of Liar, liar pants on fire.

Not good enough for what?

He's been good enough to help us get us to quarters and at least semis in successive years. Maybe not good enough for world domination but I think it's fair to say he's tried to reduce his errors, especially the high risk gambit stuff that when it works is a sight to behold but when it doesn't come off makes him look like an eejit.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:No he's not that bad Loki. But you can put up with the downside when you are getting the mercurial and the genius moments. Been a poor season from him. For my money it's always a mistake to have a player knowing he's the "only" choice.
Yes indeed, a bit of competition will get him to raise his game or perhaps start him doing more of his high gambit stuff? Is that a good idea? Who knows. I'm not an iH fan but i think he's working at his game to eradicate errors and distribute to those outside him better. His recent form has been poor but that aside I genuinely believe he has played better in the HC pool stage this year than last year.

I'd like PJ to get the nod as I think he deserves the chance, ice runs in the veins of one so young. iH on the bench just in case.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Stick, we agree. We would not be where we are if he was as gash as people say. I just think he has been very off colour. I can stand many things. His tackle in Cardiff sickened me and when your not getting the sublime to go with the ridiculous then it's time to look elsewhere IMO.

That and not tape on PJ might create probs for other teams.
Tackle, what tackle? :thumright: Yeah, don't like that myself but like you say if he was as gash as people say....... No doubt it's hard to know what you're going to get with iH from week to week and that lack of consistency and it's eradication is probably part of the next step towards world domination :lol: Still i admire him, a wee man playing in a game where wee men are targeted by opposition to return maximum benefit. Will never forget that night that it all went right in Thomond a few years ago.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Och, Stick, you know how hyper critical people can be. Me included. I have no axe to grind one way or another. We got rid of NOC and I think it created a comfort zone. I think he's had an armchair ride from our pack and RP for most of the games he's played.
Absolutely agree, and hopefully this will continue to let PJ grow into his game when he plays.
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Now for a "creative" 10, have you been blown away by the mercurial nature of his play?

As you say, for a small man in a big game but then........do you see any people target small Paul when he's playing?
No, I haven't been blown away but I have been impressed how he's brought our backs into attack on front foot ball. I love seeing backs attacking from depth and we're doing it. He can be subtle when he wants to be. I suppose the way he mixes his game up, the inside ball, taking it to the line of defence before giving the deft pop pass, unfortunately he doesn't break many tackles and get in behind.

as for beagle, they target him but he's speedy Gonzalez on speed, can't even get a whiff of him.!
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:He's not targeted because he's small. He's targeted because they know what he won't do. Imo
Tackle? yeah, it's his weak point alright.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Indeed, and thanks for the reminder, i forgot to vote :lol: I knew i came onto this thread to do something!
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

Bear in mind the words of the late Brian Clough " If he's good enough he's old enough"
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
billybigshot
Novice

Post by billybigshot »

Been saying it all season. No question give PJ a go at 10 for this weekend.
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

There isn't a chance Paddy Jackson will start for Ulster this weekend
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

BPH wrote:There isn't a chance Paddy Jackson will start for Ulster this weekend
Thats as maybe BPH but to do otherwise is simply inviting Bradley to ensure that Embra simply target the 10 channel
Last edited by horslips on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Only because (1) DH picks the team or (2) BMcL is conservative or (3) it would be the wrong thing to do to a young lad?

Which or all three?

Your probably right.
For me Friday night was the turning point if only because PJ has the balls to get his a^^se of the ground and make the tackle again. Happened around 15-20mins into the game.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

Only because (1) DH picks the team or (2) BMcL is conservative or (3) it would be the wrong thing to do to a young lad?

Which or all three?

Your probably right.
Mainly (3), but you don't change a team that's won away in Thomond in a HEC Qtr Final. By all means bring him on if it's all going pear shaped, but if BMcL picks PJ and he has a nightmare and we lose, he'll be hounded.
Muddy Bless
Initiate

Post by Muddy Bless »

BPH wrote:

Which or all three?

Your probably right.
Mainly (3), but you don't change a team that's won away in Thomond in a HEC Qtr Final. By all means bring him on if it's all going pear shaped, but if BMcL picks PJ and he has a nightmare and we lose, he'll be hounded.

Hounded out of his job?
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Voted for IH this time around. Munster attacked the 10 channel all through the quarter final and got no where. "Absolutely nowhere." This scenario has been managed all through the Heiny and I don't think Edinburgh are going to make any inroads there either. Jackson for the future? Definately, but this is too big a game and for me Humphs should bring that flair he often shows in the big games.
Mum 8)
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!