Heineken Cup is back - Ulster vs Castres

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

launish116
Initiate

Re: Heineken Cup is back - Ulster vs Castres

Post by launish116 »

Fews things crossing my mind!

We're unbeaten and as good as that sounds I'd far rather have lost a game and know how that feels and not want that feeling again! Than going in to the cup undefeated! A loss now could seriously crush moral!

Aswell as last year the underdog tagged worked us well, we were a team people didn't particulary fear and that was to there own downfall, as some have said a team castres have beat clermont even narrowly and even hold a home record of 36years against them must be doing some right! And should be treated with respect and not be assumed an easy walk over at home!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Neil F wrote:Don't think anyone is saying it'll be easy, Rum; just that there are plenty of reasons to be confident going into this game. You're right; no team that can beat Clermont are going to be easy. Ulster beat Clermont last season and were within a whisker of repeating that victory in France. This Ulster team is not the Ulster team that played Stade, Toulouse et al. at Ravenhill in years gone by. This is not an underdog team wanting to put in a performance. This is a seriously good, seriously competitive team that should strike fear into the hearts of any opposition that comes their way. Ulster fans need to get out of this "small team" and "underdog" mentality and stop fearing teams like Castres. It won't be easy but if Ulster don't win on Friday night, something has gone seriously wrong.
Nail on the head there Neil :salut:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

As appears to be becoming the norm, I am settling my splendid rump on a comfortable fence here, for whilst I see little or no prospect of defeat, following careful analysis of Castres's season to date, I also find myself not convinced that Ulster are carrying sufficient threat to be confident of a bonus point.

Cardiff's sizeable defeat at home to Weegies, a less than convincing attacking team, persuades me that out 7 tries was not an indicator of our attacking prowess, more the dire state Cardiff are in at present.

Friday's comfortable 25-0 win was comprehensive if mystifyingly dull in the main with the main perception that we were embarrassed with a superfluity of possession & lacked the penetration to finish off enough chances for the BP.

I find myself anticipating 4 points, have no fear of defeat but see only the vaguest hints that 5 pts are possible. Then again some of our finest are just getting into their stride after few games to date & with the hoped for return of Ruan, something might just click.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

With Pienaar back it will certainly give us quicker ball which could just give us more time to do some damage to their back line. The only reason I can see us losing for is complacency, which generally doesnt seem to be a problem to these guys but I cant see us getting 4+ tries. I dont think anyone really understands how bad Cardiff were, and we had a decent ref on our side. We will score 3 but keep them out of the range for a LBP. Still, should be a good game. Can't wait!
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

I note from the Castres website that they are playing their home game against Northampton at Toulouse;s ground. Wonder if there is any chance that they might take us there ? If so, might change arrangements a tad.
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

Great the heiny is nearly here looking forward to this game....It will be all about the forwards,two great packs very interesting. :blueafro:
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

http://supportersduco.forumsactifs.net/t14159-ulster-co

All very quiet :scratch: not the usual excitement .not that confident.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

If the look on Anscombe's face and what he said after last Friday's march was anything to go by, compacency will not be a problem. I have no idea how he approaches these things (hairdryer or softly, softly), but I would imagine the players were left in no doubt that their performance was not acceptable to MA. Backs scored one out of the three tries. They need to be more incisive.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Incisive it shall be.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Just looking at Castres form in the top 14 they have just beaten Clermont which should give them confidence.
They seem strong at home but poor away and I dont think they will be relishing coming to the hill.
Although it pains me to say it I think we have to revert to type a little for this game and squeeze the life out of them especially without Williams in our set up.
A win is a must first and foremost in our opening home game and thats all I am worried about at this moment in time to get off and running in the group.
Would take a one point scrappy victory right now.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bazzaj wrote:Just looking at Castres form in the top 14 they have just beaten Clermont which should give them confidence.
They seem strong at home but poor away and I dont think they will be relishing coming to the hill.
Although it pains me to say it I think we have to revert to type a little for this game and squeeze the life out of them especially without Williams in our set up.
A win is a must first and foremost in our opening home game and thats all I am worried about at this moment in time to get off and running in the group.
Would take a one point scrappy victory right now.
Typical Top14 though in that they tend to send weaker sides to 50:50 away matches and steal the occasional away win
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

The Terrace is sold out. I don't know what it means in regards to standing behind the posts, but the only alternatives I was offered were on the promenade or in the grandstand.

It's going to be cosy. Or not, depending on which part of the Terrace you're on. :evil:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Scranner wrote:If the look on Anscombe's face and what he said after last Friday's march was anything to go by, compacency will not be a problem.
Was he unhappy with the Parades Commission's ruling?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I'm not sure about Maaaaaaak but I'm pretty sure Deccie is shatting himself if thon DLA bill is passed at Stormont today ...!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cornerfleg wrote:I'm not sure about Maaaaaaak but I'm pretty sure Deccie is shatting himself if thon DLA bill is passed at Stormont today ...!
That seems fair - if they pass one motion, he'll be passing another!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right