Ulster players on the lash

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster players on the lash

Post by Wee Woman »

No doubt the players will be sat in a darkened room today, reliving the horrors of the match through the video replays anyway.

Also in terms of perspective - RedTop is one poster, one who has not posted much over the last few years it has to be said - who's to say that it was the entire squad that were out? Who's to say oul RedTop hadn't had a few too many himself? We all know how things can become exaggerated somewhat through beer googles >burp .

It's all chinese whipsers, speculation for the most part and word of one single person who was clearly out on the beer themselves.

I'm not saying it didn't happen but some perspective is needed here. Belfast is a small place and we shouldn't expect our lads to lock themselves away out of respect to 'disappointed' supporters just because they have lost 1 single game.

Time to move on I think.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Wee Woman wrote:It's all chinese whipsers, speculation for the most part and word of one single person who was clearly out on the beer themselves.
Maybe he was selling the Watchtower. Do they still do that? I don't get out much these days. Being lashed by a good looking young woman on a Saturday night - chance'd be a fine thing :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WJ McBride
Novice

Post by WJ McBride »

Fair enough.

It's easy (and predictable) to represent this whole thread in a 'should they'-'shouldn't they' be entitled to go out and have a drink theme. It suits the majority here to exagerate Red Top's (or my) perspective.
Not looking for sack cloth and ashes here. Not saying young men shouldn't have a drink and let off steam. Had they been spotted out after last week's (or any) win, then no-one would have batted an eyelid.
'Playing for the shirt'. A cliche... but beyond performance on the field, it means perhaps being a bit disinclined to celebrate when you've lost a big game and a big player to injury. Sure it's the professional era but from comments here it seems some would prefer a team who - win lose or draw- simply pick up their money and clock out. So no...I don't expect a medal. Just a commitment from some very talented (and lucky) young men that matches the majority of their fans. If Red Top's post had revealed Maak, D. Humphs and Johnny Bell after the game in the same light...would'nt you be annoyed?!!! As to the unspoken ethos of Ulster Rugby...if you have to ask...then the sports section of central library should bring you up to speed on the history, cultural and influential players throughout the years who have fashioned this. Then again...maybe you're this 'new breed' of supporter who chants when opposition 10s are lining up kicks and introduces mean-spirited soccer chants to the terraces of Ravenhill. :red:
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

WJ McBride wrote:Fair enough.
If Red Top's post had revealed Maak, D. Humphs and Johnny Bell after the game in the same light...would'nt you be annoyed?

Eh, no. No I wouldn't.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
WJ McBride
Novice

Post by WJ McBride »

QED. Thanks for making my point.
Tom
Novice

Post by Tom »

You could make an argument that the team buckled under the weight of being overwhelming favourites on saturday. They were choking up the ball left right and centre and even the usually unflappable Ruan appeared wound up tight.

Remedy?????

What do normal people do who are stressed after a bad day? Go out with their mates, chill, have a few pints and relax.

This thread was a non event, maybe some of the posters were taking out the frustration of saturday on a naive easy target
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

WJ McBride wrote:QED. Thanks for making my point.
Which point was that?

The general thrust of your post appears to be that you believe going on the lash with your team mates is indicative that you've left your commitment to the team with your shirt in the laundry basket.... Surprisingly enough, I think quite the reverse.

Interesting wee piece from the Telegraph here -http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/236183 ... r-two.html
Last edited by AyeYerMa on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Maybe if Maaak made sure all the players went about in sack cloth and ashes for a month we could just dispense of any idea of putting that behind us and picking ourselves up for the Leinster match next Friday.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

The self righteous nonsense spouted here is indicative of the typical ballix pro sportsmen have to put up with, the lads had a poor day at the office, and I'm sure they don't need a keyboard warrior reminding them of such. Sometimes after a bad day at work, a few beers and a bit of craic is exactly what's required. However it seems like some want to bring back the birch.

To those I say, feck aff and go and get yerselves a few beers and a ride!
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Well said that man ... I know sometimes after a bad week at work I need the odd glass of vino ... I don't however have bruises and aches due to it.

Self righteous ballix just about sums it up. I've often thought that some kind of star or badge be awarded to internet warriors who have never played the game above or even at schools level, so that those of us who have a very basic idea of what these guys go through in training in prep in winning last week and the emotions of losing at home get the odd break for trying to deal with it, process it, move on and turn it around for another huge game this Friday.

Of course everyone should have the right to say what they want on a forum - but equally they should be able to know exactly what others think of their moronic verbosity when it crosses the line from an idea to utter stupidity.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Fleg, not sure that everyone should be able to say exactly what they think on a public forum - the mods would be very busy indeed.
Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, that's for sure, so here is mine.
These guys, mostly in their 20s, go out onto the pitch, week in, week out and literally put their bodies on the line for the enjoyment and edification of us spectators. About 20% of them are out of action at any time because of significant injury and most of the rest are carrying minor injuries of one kind or another. Their careers are very short and, while the rewards are now reasonable, who knows what the long term physical consequences will be for them.
If they want to go out after a match to let off steam, celebrate or drown their sorrows, on the basis that such celebrations will not affect their playing ability a week later, then I completely fail to see why anyone should have any right whatsoever to object or frown upon their (unthreatening) behaviour.
I am certain that the coaches would stop any behaviour they thought was counter-productive.

Let the lads alone. Its Christmas, FFS. They deserve a bit of relaxation and down time. SUFTUM!!!
Bo***cks to Brexit
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Couple of things need clarified here:

a. was the spanker pretty?
b. was this a service offered by the establishment they attended?
c. if the answer to b is yes ... would you mind sharing name of said establishment.

I wonder is there like a menu for that kind of stuff....you know, "right I'll have a bottle of 26, the merlot, and let me see, the spanking???? No maybe later just a plate of hot wings for now thanks and a sweet chilli dip, thank you very much"
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

rocky wrote:Fleg, not sure that everyone should be able to say exactly what they think on a public forum - the mods would be very busy indeed.
Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, that's for sure, so here is mine.
These guys, mostly in their 20s, go out onto the pitch, week in, week out and literally put their bodies on the line for the enjoyment and edification of us spectators. About 20% of them are out of action at any time because of significant injury and most of the rest are carrying minor injuries of one kind or another. Their careers are very short and, while the rewards are now reasonable, who knows what the long term physical consequences will be for them.
If they want to go out after a match to let off steam, celebrate or drown their sorrows, on the basis that such celebrations will not affect their playing ability a week later, then I completely fail to see why anyone should have any right whatsoever to object or frown upon their (unthreatening) behaviour.
I am certain that the coaches would stop any behaviour they thought was counter-productive.

Let the lads alone. Its Christmas, FFS. They deserve a bit of relaxation and down time. SUFTUM!!!
A bit of sense! :salut:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

nonplussed wrote:The self righteous nonsense spouted here is indicative of the typical ballix pro sportsmen have to put up with, the lads had a poor day at the office, and I'm sure they don't need a keyboard warrior reminding them of such. Sometimes after a bad day at work, a few beers and a bit of craic is exactly what's required. However it seems like some want to bring back the birch.

To those I say, feck aff and go and get yerselves a few beers and a ride!
Excellent work nonplussed however RedTop & his one fan, a man so important that he calls himself after a legend, and clearly a "real Fan" for he has spent a load of £s on following Ulster, not that any of the rest of us would do that :roll: He also needs a close look at himself for he imagines they were out celebrating,to quote him. Clown.

My problem with your advice is that it would appear they are so wound up & puritanical in their views that I suspect their next ride will be their first. Imagine the disappointment of some poor woman ending up with those jokers. >jawdrop
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

If you had said that this occurred on Thursday or Friday night I could see the point .

I would say they are on a one night post match only drink allowed type of social life

Clock in monday morning sober or else.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist