Lions squad announcement

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

TheWonDon
Initiate

Re: Lions squad announcement

Post by TheWonDon »

I'm still struggling to see how they've picked Vunipola over both Sheridan and Ryan Grant.

Vunipola was destroyed by Afoa and Carl Hayman in the Heineken Cup recently, not to mention any time he came on in the 6N. No point in having props who can run but can't scrummage, it's not league for f*ck sake.

As for Matt Stevens, perfect example of the dearth of decent Tight Heads available. I'd hold Mike Ross & Euan Murray on par with him, even Paul James for versatility. Milk tray Deccie is near the same level, at least he'd provide a bit of entertainment on tour by skipping training to eat everyone else's dinner.
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

Indiana wrote:The BBC reports

"World Cup-winning former England fly-half Wilkinson put himself in the frame with a man of the match performance as Toulon beat Farrell's Saracens side in the Heineken Cup semi-finals on Sunday, but Gatland has stuck with his decision not to select any France-based players as they will not be available for the whole tour. "

Yet he chooses Johnny Sexton? :scratch: :scratch:

PS Genuinely gutted for Rory, makes absolutely no sense!
Well Sexton hasn't left yet. But Gethin Jenkins is still with Toulon
TheWonDon
Initiate

Post by TheWonDon »

Harold7 wrote:

"World Cup-winning former England fly-half Wilkinson put himself in the frame with a man of the match performance as Toulon beat Farrell's Saracens side in the Heineken Cup semi-finals on Sunday, but Gatland has stuck with his decision not to select any France-based players as they will not be available for the whole tour. "

The reason French based players weren't considered is that the French season ends on 1st June. Jonny Sexton doesn't join the Top 14 until next season so therefore it has no effect on him.
Eh, Gethin Jenkins?
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I'm going to get abuse from front rowers >EW but prop isn't really a decision making position so Gatland probably doesn't see an issue slotting Jenkins into the squad a bit later but he wants the main playmakers training with the squad from the outset.

Which makes the decision to have two numbers 10s even more strange, as Sexton and Farrell may as well go out with a big target on their jersey when they play for the Lions against the Bundaberg Country Cheapshots mid week.
Meg The Lab
Novice

Post by Meg The Lab »

Rooster wrote:Rory has obviously pished on someone in the Lions setup as he was left out the last time as well for that knob Hartley.
Maybe it's because Hartley throws a better punch than Rory, especially when he has his opponent pinned by the throat on his back.
I've just swallowed a whole bag of scrabble squares. My next visit to the toilet could spell trouble.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

mikerob wrote:I'm going to get abuse from front rowers >EW but prop isn't really a decision making position so Gatland probably doesn't see an issue slotting Jenkins into the squad a bit later but he wants the main playmakers training with the squad from the outset.

Which makes the decision to have two numbers 10s even more strange, as Sexton and Farrell may as well go out with a big target on their jersey when they play for the Lions against the Bundaberg Country Cheapshots mid week.
Exactly as I said it is an obvious mistake out of any other selection, thats why I would not be surprised to see Wikinson fly out at some point.
Also the scrumhaves are all not exactly reknown for their service so I would like to have seen someone with a zippier pass as an option.
Stevens can play both sides which makes him a great bench option as is Croft who can play 6 or in the 2nd row and Vunipola is an impact option.

Of the obvious omissions from Gatlands view,
Barrett not creative enough, Robshaw looks knackered and peaked too early ,the French based players season ends too late, Hendo and Madigan no experience, Rorys darts too erratic under pressure, Ryan not good enough in the lineout and Hamilton,Grant, Launchberry or Wood not Welsh enough.
I dont necessarily agree with it but I understand it.

A few eyebrows raised at Maitlands selection but he is in the big physical mould of the sort of wing Gatland likes.
I am gutted that Zebo is not going as he is a victim of that policy and really would have enjoyed himself on those pitches getting the ball he does not normally get for club and country.
Meg The Lab
Novice

Post by Meg The Lab »

I take it most would agree this squad is more akin to the British and Irish Pussycats than Lions. :cat: :cat: :cat:
I've just swallowed a whole bag of scrabble squares. My next visit to the toilet could spell trouble.
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

TheWonDon wrote:
Harold7 wrote:

The reason French based players weren't considered is that the French season ends on 1st June. Jonny Sexton doesn't join the Top 14 until next season so therefore it has no effect on him.
Eh, Gethin Jenkins?
Jenkins is being released by Toulon though.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Yeah, the team selection has Gatland's gameplan all over it. A big boshing backline with the possible addition of the likes of BOD, Bowe and Sexton to add a bit more subtlety and invention. Back-row/scrum half hybrids - Phillips and Phillips-lite at scrum half.

Gatland does like traditional 6, 7, 8 backrows so jack-of-all-trades back rowers like Robshaw weren't hard to discard following a few poor performances.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rowntree had a big influence over the front row hence the likes of Stevens and Hartley.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

bangorboy wrote:Hartley over Rory is a fecking joke.
Hardly a surprise- Rory's throwing has been poor recently, and thats 505 of his core duties tbh.
But agree Hartley is a disgrace. I'd ve taken both Welsh hookers tbh.
Exterminate all rational thought
Deckard
Novice

Post by Deckard »

A squad that is frustratingly close to being a good 'un IMO.. The two absolutely mental choices for me are Hartley over Best - just inexplicable, even given a couple of dodgy lineout outings by Best - and Croft over.... well anybody.. I mean seriously?? This guy is the biggest bluffer out there!! I would have taken Wood, Henderson, Beattie, Brown, in fact I'd even have taken POM ahead of him!!!

Murray and Kearney are lucky boys - at 9 I would comfortably start Care or Laidlaw ahead of Murray..

As for Maitland, spot on selection!! Was nobody watching the 6 nations?? He has been a class act this season, I think he was close to nailed on after North and Bowe!

In fairness to Gatland, I think he has restricted himself to just 2 big 'hometown' selections in Lydiate (decidedly average since his return to fitness) and Cuthert (decidedly average full stop)
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I wouldn't have Maitland as he isn't British or Irish...
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

You just have to go back and watch the Wales vs Ireland match in the 6 nations to see who the test lions hooker should've been.

For my money Rory Best is the best hooker in Europe and it's between him and Bismark Du Plessis as the best in world rugby. Yet Best isn't deemed in the top 3 in the UK & Ireland by Gatland???

Shocking decision.

I'd of had Robshaw and Brown before Croft. Also I'd of taken Zebo over Maitland. Some crazy decisions in my book and this lion tour just look a lot of interest to me.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Jackie Brown wrote:I wouldn't have Maitland as he isn't British or Irish...
Maitland from NZ, Hartley from NZ, Stevens from South Africa, Tuilangi from Samoa, Vunipola from NZ and Faletau from Tonga.

The British and Irish Lions!! :cheers:
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Too right, Rory was simply outstanding that match, not only in defence as always but that charge down leading up to that Healy try was a work of art!