B&I Lions vs. The Barbarians

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: B&I Lions vs. The Barbarians

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Socks & the Babas, just about their level.

In the past when players would miss any club game to turn out for them, John Dawes & Mike Gibson swapped their international socks as a mark of mutual respect - Dawes looked good in green, Gibson about tolerable in red since he was used to a red sock with a white top.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Kofi Annan wrote: currently have at least three various styles
Hadn't noticed TBH.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

jamsodonnell wrote:Agree with many of the comments on here already. This game was probably played for the sponsors, HSBC. The team has got a run -out, no apparent injuries and an easy 50+ points. The Ba-Bas are no longer a viable opposition, rather a week long party with a match latched on somewhere along the way. I think we might make a more accurate resume after the Western Force game on Wednesday. Didnt like Farrell's reaction to his Saracen's teammates yellow card and didnt like Phillips pointing to the line Delon style when he scored his second.Hope both are reminded of the players who wore the numbers 9 & 10 on previous tours.
Phillips quick to point out on twitter that it was a joke between himself and his mate Joe Roko who was chasing him to the line and was not out of Armitage style disrespect.
Armitage put in his place by Brian Moore on twitter who he shared a slagging match with after his HEC antics.
Armitage had a pop at Moores book writting as well but just how many people would give a tinkers about an Armitage autobiography?
Brian Moore is a legend.
Good work out from the Lions, no injuries and a gameplan firmly established and a good marker as these opening games tend to be an unorganised shambles.
Mike Phillips apparently was first name on Gatlands team sheet as he executes his game plan to perfection.
I now see why he went for Murray.
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

Had to laugh at how Delon Armitage got booed by the crowd in the semi-final and final. Does he not wonder why nobody likes him?
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Any chance that Farrell will be (imo deservedly) cited?
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Read the Sunday Times player ratings this morning and couldn't believe that S Jones had given Falateau 9 out of 10 (highest mark of any player). I thought he was the least effective of all the Lions forwards.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Scranner wrote:Any chance that Farrell will be (imo deservedly) cited?
No, he would've been cited at the same time as Brits. I agree with you though, at the time I thought Farrell should have gotten a yellow card too - his retaliation was just as bad as Brits' initial punch. Reminded me of the Trimble-Williams incident, and in that case the Scarlets got the penalty. If the same applied to this match, the Barbarians should have had the penalty.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

I was hoping he'd get a ban too, purely so that another 10 could be flown out to back up Sexton. I'd really like to see Wilko out there. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really like his attitude and he would set a great example to the rest of the squad. Why settle for an inferior imitation (Farrell), when you can have the original.
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

ruckover wrote:
No, he would've been cited at the same time as Brits. I agree with you though, at the time I thought Farrell should have gotten a yellow card too - his retaliation was just as bad as Brits' initial punch. Reminded me of the Trimble-Williams incident, and in that case the Scarlets got the penalty. If the same applied to this match, the Barbarians should have had the penalty.
Didn't realise that Brits had been cited. How could Farrell get away with that? Is it just because Brits punch landed well and Farrell's didn't - and he had at least two goes at it. Not only that he started it with illegal holding and then retaliated - badly. Deserved much more of a hiding than he got. Citing commissioner must blind or english.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Just read that Brits got a three week ban and Farrell got away scot free. Didn't even acknowledge that he had been lucky to get away with it. Fecking Ar$e!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22744871
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Look the first match of a tour a friendly
( ? ) the ref is not going to card a member of the tour party if he can help it neither is a member of an invitation XV going to complain.

An incident best forgotten

But one which the aussies will store in the locker of what to do -- play on Farrells concentration.

I think the incident has put on the test bench rather than the team.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Lions' management said it was test match - not a friendly. My point is why punish Brits and not Farrell? If one gets away with it why not both? It was fecking obvious that Farrell intended to deck Brits. He just wasn't very good at it. Didn't we have a discussion here about how much worse retaliation was that the initial offence. Sauce for the goose!!
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Farrell held Brits and Brits retaliated. Therefore the retaliation is worse than the intial offence. So is retaliation retaliation worse than retaliation? :stir:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

AndyB wrote:Read the Sunday Times player ratings this morning and couldn't believe that S Jones had given Falateau 9 out of 10 (highest mark of any player). I thought he was the least effective of all the Lions forwards.
There's your clue Andy.........
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Farrell is another wee English Spide in the mould of Ashton.

S Jones - Jones the hack - is madder than a bag of weasels.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.