Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Ospreys

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Positives and Negatives: Ulster V Ospreys

Post by bazzaj »

Again why are we comparing our two starlets as they are completely different.
Why could they not be a combo, interchanging roles the way Roberts and BOD did for the lions in SA?
This keeps the oppo guessing at what is coming as there is a variation of points in attack which is the key to midfield attack lines.
Bear in mind that neither have had a run together mainly due to fitness.
If they clicked it could mean fireworks for us and Ireland and I am certain that is not lost on either management.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Olding vs Marshall is a very intriguing selection battle as they are two superb young talents with two completely different styles of rugby - the former is more skillful, but the latter is stronger and better at breaking the tackle.

I would just favour Olding, but it's very good to know that if one isn't quite firing on all cylinders we have one which is just as good to take his place. Exactly what we want and need.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Spiffsson wrote:
mike wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Much as I like luke's hard running game. Olding looks full of game and possibly a very special player.

he didn't get much of a sniff tonight but he's very composed. I was a little worried about his lack of bulk but he's very smart when he goes into contact and presents the ball very quickly- his defence also looks good so far-
he's a superb prospect, can't wait to see more of him.
I'm a long time fan but a first time poster, so go aisy on me,wud yez.

Olding's lack of bulk doers not matter. He punches way above his weight and tackles like a demon. Marshall is a great, hard-running centre who will do well. But Olding is ahead in speed, step, game reading and overall footballing ability. The lad is a bit special. The sooner he beds down into an Ulster/Ireland 12 shirt, the better.
Good man Spiffy.
A finely structured first post and although some may argue that simply agreeing with me is a safe bet, I commend you on your wisdom so early in your UAFC career. :thumleft:
Well played and welcome! >appl >appl
ulster32
Novice

Post by ulster32 »

IN THE MIDDLE
+/- It's Paul Marshall again. This week the box kicking was pin perfect, couldn't fault him. Passing was not. Too slow, inaccurate and wasn't quite up to speed. I really don't know what to think of him. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but I just don't quite know.
I think small P has been the poorest of the 3 scrum halfs yet this season, hes had one relatively good half of rugby against connaucht with a dominant pack but apart from that has been very poor for a player of his experience. If Ruan wasnt returning on Monday and it wasn't a Heineken cup weekend, i would been inclined to give heaney and porter a chance.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cornerfleg wrote: Who ever is saying Luke is just a bosh merchant has very little appreciation of what he's trying to do. Both Olding and Marshall are superb young talents we're lucky to have both and should enjoy both, when they play.
He is a lot better than that Fleg, but still I have issues about hands and passing, Olding on the other hand I believe to be the Messiah.

We have only seen about half a season from him but he has the lot, an extravagant talent.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ruckover wrote:Olding vs Marshall is a very intriguing selection battle as they are two superb young talents with two completely different styles of rugby - the former is more skillful, but the latter is stronger and better at breaking the tackle.

I would just favour Olding, but it's very good to know that if one isn't quite firing on all cylinders we have one which is just as good to take his place. Exactly what we want and need.
Agreed on every word Ruckie. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Again why are we comparing our two starlets as they are completely different.
Why could they not be a combo, interchanging roles the way Roberts and BOD did for the lions in SA?
This keeps the oppo guessing at what is coming as there is a variation of points in attack which is the key to midfield attack lines.
Bear in mind that neither have had a run together mainly due to fitness.
If they clicked it could mean fireworks for us and Ireland and I am certain that is not lost on either management.
FFS Jizzbeg, that worked so well that that Warren Gatland Warren Gatland dropped BOD. The idea works well though at times as Jared & Luke showed for Luke's try last week.

In any event both are 12s, not a 13 in plain site. That my good man is Darren's job & yet again he was emphatically our best all-round 13, the glue which holds the line together.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ulster32 wrote:
IN THE MIDDLE
+/- It's Paul Marshall again. This week the box kicking was pin perfect, couldn't fault him. Passing was not. Too slow, inaccurate and wasn't quite up to speed. I really don't know what to think of him. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but I just don't quite know.
I think small P has been the poorest of the 3 scrum halfs yet this season, hes had one relatively good half of rugby against connaucht with a dominant pack but apart from that has been very poor for a player of his experience. If Ruan wasnt returning on Monday and it wasn't a Heineken cup weekend, i would been inclined to give heaney and porter a chance.
I'm no p apologist but in fairness he was "all right" last week, no better but fairs fair.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Welcome, spiff. Very decent 1st post.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I dunno Baggy, I think Olding could make an excellent 13. Hr has the feet, the defence, the speed and the step. Very very exciting prospect!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackie Brown wrote:I dunno Baggy, I think Olding could make an excellent 13. Hr has the feet, the defence, the speed and the step. Very very exciting prospect!

Has he the defence though to take on the big bosh merchants at 13 though, that is really where Cave scores at present.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy of course Diack should have started Henderson went off last week nursing an arm Diack absorbed the heavy early hits and Henderson came on fresh .

A 100 % Henderson I would start before Diack, but he may not have been 100 % last night . I would rather Henderson could start against Leicester than go off injured against the Os it wasn't that he was rested more a case of ensuring he wasn't over exposed.

Baggy Olding is still what 20-- 21 he has a few pounds still to gain and muscles to develop he may fill out a bit more and thus not look as frail as he does at the moment. Small men can bring down big ones provided they develop the technique either go low or if you take him high you use his momentum to bring him down. Allen does it very well Paddy Wallace never quite got it right he seemed to want to match them rather than allow them to defeat themselves.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:Baggy of course Diack should have started Henderson went off last week nursing an arm Diack absorbed the heavy early hits and Henderson came on fresh .

A 100 % Henderson I would start before Diack, but he may not have been 100 % last night . I would rather Henderson could start against Leicester than go off injured against the Os it wasn't that he was rested more a case of ensuring he wasn't over exposed.

Baggy Olding is still what 20-- 21 he has a few pounds still to gain and muscles to develop he may fill out a bit more and thus not look as frail as he does at the moment. Small men can bring down big ones provided they develop the technique either go low or if you take him high you use his momentum to bring him down. Allen does it very well Paddy Wallace never quite got it right he seemed to want to match them rather than allow them to defeat themselves.
Rum'n, I'm nothing if not a tolerant man >EW but you are pushing the boundaries more than just a little. In a fraternal attempt to enlighten you however, I'm prepared to give my reasons one final shot.

Where is it written that Robbie & Hendo are the only two options at 6? No place that I'm aware. I stated my preference very early in the week to have the magnificent Ulster-ROG at 6 alongside, Rotund Nicholas & the ever so slightly nippier Chad. In what I took to be more than likely a heavyweight bashing contest against Ospreys that was the way to go for me partly because I was convinced that Hendo would play no part at all. He did not enter my consideration at all.

I was comfortable with my judgement last night as Robbie was largely anonymous, not dreadful, he seldom is, but not remotely to the fore.

Now on Olding, not quite sure what your issue with my judgement on him is. I believe him to be an exceptional talent without obvious weakness who is on the cusp of being magnificent player at an early age. I have NEVER EVER said he was frail.

Happy?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:I dunno Baggy, I think Olding could make an excellent 13. Hr has the feet, the defence, the speed and the step. Very very exciting prospect!

Jackie, I don't discount that as a possibility at all, 13 may very well be a position, as indeed may 10 & 15, where Stuart might shine.

At present I've seen him at 15 for Irish nippers & a little at 10 but mainly 12 where he looks to the manner born. I have never seen him at 13. That doesn't mean he may not make a good one, it does mean his coaches to date haven't seen him in that 13 shirt, so neither have we.
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Agreed Jackie, Ulsters long term centre partnership will be Marshall at 12 with Olding at 13 IMO, from watching hims last year i would go as far to say with everyone fit he should be our first choice centre.

Saying that i would actually like to see Olding get a few games at 10 as im still not convinced by Jackson and Oldings only been giving the chance a few times. Jacksons goal kicking was great last night, but didnt think his all round game was good, plus 1 great performance mixed in with a few poor ones doesn't mean hes turned the corner yet.