Spreading the Brand no 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Spreading the Brand no 3

Post by bootlaced »

Twice now this old chestnut has been raised,yup and its me again raising it for the third time,the first time I mentioned it I think the consensus was that rugby was concentrated only in Belfast school rugby bla bla bla :roll: the second time it seemed to be that once Ravenhill was redeveloped that we would see a province wide drive to promote the "Brand",I know that in the summer Ulster make an annual trip to the sticks and head home sharpish after having signed a few autographs and thrown a few balls around, or dressed up in fancy dress to head to Lisburn. But isn't it about time that Ulster became more than just a Belfast team.Hopefully someone will come in and say that Brian Mc has now been around the province and has spotted the future Ulster rugby talent and we will no longer have to rely on Irish exiles or others from abroad.

Anyway feel free to suggest the way forward. >flog
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Spreading the Brand no 3

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

:roll:

Ulster already is more than a Belfast team and does take young players from around the province ..... AS WELL AS exiles etc.

There is no alternative to playing matches at Ravers - It's the right stadium and it would be stupid to not use it now it's been (being) redeveloped. By all means move the Ravens around the province and continue to use players to spread the brand by taking training sessions and personal appearances to the sticks a bit more, but the reality is that the team is based and will remain to be based in Belfast which is the major population centre - you can't change the demographic facts.

Time to stop flogging dead horses, I would suggest.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Keep winning.

Alot more people would ask me about Ulster these days. They see Ulster in the news and in the paper. They see the news about our quarter final.

You can spend a fortune on marketing in Donegal, Derry and Fermanagh etc but people will be deterred by the travel time etc. Keeping the league games on free to air is important for those who cant or wont travel.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote::roll:

Ulster already is more than a Belfast team and does take young players from around the province ..... AS WELL AS exiles etc.

There is no alternative to playing matches at Ravers - It's the right stadium and it would be stupid to not use it now it's been (being) redeveloped. By all means move the Ravens around the province and continue to use players to spread the brand by taking training sessions and personal appearances to the sticks a bit more, but the reality is that the team is based and will remain to be based in Belfast which is the major population centre - you can't change the demographic facts.

Time to stop flogging dead horses, I would suggest.
The thing is Ulster is a province and not just a city,we need as many supporters and players as possible if you were living up in the northwest or the south of the province then your attitude might just be a little different.Too many people look to there own needs and cant see the wider picture a bit like watching the NHS been run down unless it suits there own needs.If Ulster go through a bad patch and the footie fans start going to their tribal grounds I would imagine that there would be a sudden drive to get rugby supporters from outside of Belfast to come to Ravenhill.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I think you underestimate the numbers who do already travel large distances to matches and are season ticket holders, seeing that most of the Ulster population is based around Belfast then there will always be a higher percentage from there.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

damianmcr wrote:Keep winning.

Alot more people would ask me about Ulster these days. They see Ulster in the news and in the paper. They see the news about our quarter final.

You can spend a fortune on marketing in Donegal, Derry and Fermanagh etc but people will be deterred by the travel time etc. Keeping the league games on free to air is important for those who cant or wont travel.

People I talk to around here save there money and chip in to get buses to go to the matches,do they get support or help from Ulster eh no.Do they get a chance to see any Ulster players outside of summer no.When is the last time that Ulster have done a session outside of Belfast this season?

How much do ya think it costs to go to a game from Donegal?I know people here in Tyrone that lose money and have to take time off work to go to a game, to some going to Ravenhill is like going to a HEC final in Wales/Scotland etc etc.....
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Rooster wrote:I think you underestimate the numbers who do already travel large distances to matches and are season ticket holders, seeing that most of the Ulster population is based around Belfast then there will always be a higher percentage from there.

No I don't
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

How many people do you think travel to a United Liverpool Rangers or tom kite game every week? Do they do training sessions and matches away from their grounds? No

Munster do and look how they are doing financially having backed the wrong city with a stadium.

sent from my crozier
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Russ wrote:How many people do you think travel to a United Liverpool Rangers or tom kite game every week? Do they do training sessions and matches away from their grounds? No

Munster do and look how they are doing financially having backed the wrong city with a stadium.

sent from my crozier

Russ,I am not talking about people who support teams in a different sport and in a different country.Liverpool is closer to Manchester than Dungannon is to Belfast.None of those teams you mention are provincial rugby teams representing the whole of there province,2 of those teams you mention are in Lancashire and I cant for the life of me think what wendy ball has to do with rugby.Some people apparently even like basketball and tennis and I couldn't give a feck if they want to go to Wimbledon.As Nigel Owens said this is not soccer.Now in your humble words feck off.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Russ wrote:How many people do you think travel to a United Liverpool Rangers or tom kite game every week? Do they do training sessions and matches away from their grounds? No

sent from my crozier

Actually on reflection those soccer teams go pre-season to far away parts to spread their brands Asia and America springs to mind,try again :roll:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I think you have missed my point entirely. But you acted like a chube so I won't explain it.

sent from my crozier
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Russ wrote:I think you have missed my point entirely. But you acted like a chube so I won't explain it.

sent from my crozier

Enlighten me then :banghead:
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

I think it is a fair point. Ulster rugby headquarters need to be in Belfast. However, the problem is that many people from around Belfast seem to get a nosebleed as soon as they hit the M1 or M2 for some reason. Much more could be done to spread the brand -Maybe it's just not the Ulster way.d :fleg:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

It is regular for players to attend pre match lunches in rural rugby clubs
bootlaced wrote:
Rooster wrote:I think you underestimate the numbers who do already travel large distances to matches and are season ticket holders, seeing that most of the Ulster population is based around Belfast then there will always be a higher percentage from there.

No I don't
So you are saying there are fair numbers who travel :scratch:
bootlaced wrote:People I talk to around here save there money and chip in to get buses to go to the matches,do they get support or help from Ulster eh no.Do they get a chance to see any Ulster players outside of summer no.When is the last time that Ulster have done a session outside of Belfast this season?

How much do ya think it costs to go to a game from Donegal?I know people here in Tyrone that lose money and have to take time off work to go to a game, to some going to Ravenhill is like going to a HEC final in Wales/Scotland etc etc.....
There are people in Belfast who have to take time of work to go to a match as well.
Yes I agree it is more difficult when you live 70 or 80 miles from Ravenhill but there is no way to change that short of moving house.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bootlaced wrote:
Russ wrote:I think you have missed my point entirely. But you acted like a chube so I won't explain it.

sent from my crozier

Enlighten me then :banghead:
Where do you think 72000 united fans come from? How about getting the Dublin Holyhead boat on a Saturday morning.

If people support something they will go.

Why don't we play all International games across the island and maybe one in Boston and Melbourne every year?

sent from my crozier