Spreading the Brand no 3

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Re: Spreading the Brand no 3

Post by bootlaced »

Russ wrote:
bootlaced wrote:
Russ wrote:I think you have missed my point entirely. But you acted like a chube so I won't explain it.

sent from my crozier

Enlighten me then :banghead:
Where do you think 72000 united fans come from? How about getting the Dublin Holyhead boat on a Saturday morning.

If people support something they will go.

Why don't we play all International games across the island and maybe one in Boston and Melbourne every year?

sent from my crozier
What has wendy ball to do with Ulster rugby
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Sport is sport. Support is support.

sent from my crozier
mickey_soft_hands
Novice

Post by mickey_soft_hands »

I remember the olden days, driving the 60 miles up a dreary m1, then getting stuck in the traffic on Stockmans Lane on a cold wet friday evening, being the Designated Dessie listening to the sh1£hawks sh1£ talk. trying to get parked in a southern reg somewhere remotely close to the grounds(the holy lands most likely)somewhere it wouldnt get burned out. getting the stereo stolen was the best you could hope for, then standing in a torential thunderstorm watching Ulster get hockied by some place in france( that your boss says has the most amazing camp sites) with D hump running around tackling like his life depended on it and a lot of overweight imports praying for the year to end so the could return to Samoa and live like kings.
you softies have it easy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Muddy Bless
Initiate

Post by Muddy Bless »

Feck, we should have built ravers on wheels.

Bootlaced if you want to support a team that plays all over to try and increase it's support base, go support Scaracens.... I'll try organise for them to play in Belfast soon.... If that is close enough for you?
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

This argument is a bit like my missus complaining about the superbowl being on at an antisocial hour for her. For her convenience she thinks the entire West coast of the USA should get up at 7am on a sunday to watch it.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

Tomorrow I'll jump on a train and travel 100 miles to watch Ireland beat the Jocks. Would I make that journey every fortnight if Ireland was my club team? No, the expense would stop me doing that and if the matches were kicking off at 7.00pm on a Friday night, so would the time factor. I would get down for a few games a season and I wouldn't miss any of the big matches. I don't think having the players come to Belfast to meet and greet or throw a few balls about would change that scenario in any way.

Changing kick off times might help people or encourage those who have to travel. Saturday afternoons or Saturday evenings would be a better slot imo.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

And I could also mention one of my wee pals who lived and worked in Edinbugh but got a job and moved back home mainly so she could SUFTUM.

And in 06 I was working in Dublin for the entire season and made every home match.

Where there's a will there's a way. Just sayin!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

OK,

1. Belfast is the centre of Northern Ireland transport wise. All roads lead there eventually. So it's easier for EVERYONE if the games are played there rather than Omagh or Clones.

2. The majority of the population are concentrated in the Belfast metropolitan area.

3. How would moving games work with season ticket holders?

4. Ulster have a great new 18,000 seated stadium with top class facilities for supporters and training gear for players. You want them to move to a field in Tyrone?

5. This is a professional outfit not a bunch of amateurs. I would worry about swanning around the province training at random clubs would be to the detriment of performances.

I think Ravens should be used to branch out and spread the game, games around the province should be the default.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

mickey_soft_hands wrote:...............with D hump running around tackling like his life depended on it
Was with you up to this point - then you blew it! :lol:

Boot

You have stoopidly or deliberately missed every point made on this thread that doesn't suit your own agenda. You have complained, but not put forward a single idea to address the problem as you see it. You have dismissed comparisons with other sports and teams, then when you think ONE of those points suits your argument you use it, only to dismiss anyone else who uses similar as being irrelevant because "it's not rugby".

If you want to have a debate, have one, but quit the moaning and actually try to understand what others are saying ...... and contribute suggestions yourself instead of just expecting everyone to agree with you and come up with solutions to your (imagined) problems.

Still, I suppose it makes a change from your other bandwagon of health care provision, where you won't listen to any other opinions but your own either.

(Cue another thread or reopening of an old one on that in the back room)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Spreading the Brand no 3

Post by Wee Woman »

Cap'n got there before me lol.

I never recall seeing the good Doctor Sir David Humph tackle like his life depended on it, ever :)
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

damianmcr wrote:Keep winning.

Alot more people would ask me about Ulster these days. They see Ulster in the news and in the paper. They see the news about our quarter final.

You can spend a fortune on marketing in Donegal, Derry and Fermanagh etc but people will be deterred by the travel time etc. Keeping the league games on free to air is important for those who cant or wont travel.
The perfect recipe for success Damo, good post. :thumleft:

Grumps, you too are of course spot on.

Boot, you my friend are right and wrong at one and the same time. Spreading the brand is of course desirable, the Belfast bit is wrong, no point in starting from an incorrect premise.

Ravenhill is not the problem, it can't be easy travelling round trips of 100 miles and more but lots do, there is no alternative and as Munster can attest there is insufficient funding for a two centre province,it is wrecking their finances.

Look at the jump in attendance over recent years and plan A appears to be working. As for recruiting around the province, a little bird tells me that FitC has plans afoot that will at least in part alleviate your concerns and hopefully mean talent does not slip through McGlock's net.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Wee Woman wrote:Cap'n got there before me lol.

I never recall seeing the good Doctor Sir David Humph tackle like his life depended on it, ever :)
1999 QF v Toulouse at Ravers. Hurted his shoulder making a try and prob match saving tackle? Other than that nada
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Travelling an hour to get to a game at Ravenhill is not bad going, and really shouldn't put that many people off, there are plenty who do already and as has been pointed out for other sports many travel further.
It takes me an hour to travel to my local prem division footie club, and I only live 12 miles from their ground! It's all relative.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Wee Woman wrote:Cap'n got there before me lol.

Perhaps the exception to prove the rule Wee Woman but in December 1998, having given the ball away he made about a 60 metre diagonal run to get to the Toulouse break out and made an heroic tackle in the course of which he wrecked his shoulder.

That tackle saved the match, Ulster won 15-13, Doc Dave's shoulder recovered for the Stade semi and the rest Wee Woman is Ulster legend :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Title of the thread is "Spreading the brand" and this is a lot more than who goes to games.

Football teams have brands that have spread all,over the world and only a tiny proportion of their fans ever attend games.

I agree with damianmcr. Best thing to do is ensure the team keeps winning and some games are on free to air so accessible to the casual or first time viewer.

This generates interest from all over and even a bit of a bandwagon. People buy replica shirts so the brand gets out there, parents enroll their kids with minis when maybe before they knew little about rugby and that sort of thing.