Schools Cup 2014

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

HoneyBadger
Novice

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by HoneyBadger »

Trying to limit training for one school in ulster to even out competition is the last thing ulster need. More school need to step up to their level. Just like in Leinster clongowes, terenure, st. Mary's, michaels have all been doing the same to reach the same quality of preparation as blackrock. The conveyor belt of Leinster players is through those few schools where senior cup teams is bordering on professional with summer training during holidays for squad members the year Before competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Five days a week makes it sound ridiculous. Two afternoons a week and a Saturday game. Weights for 45 minutes twice a week and some lunchtime lineout work. I know from experience that this system at Methody is spot on and the education does not suffer. Most senior squad members drive out to Pirrie and drive in early for training plus the coaching staff give up their own time so the expense is a non issue. Trying to get the UB to intervene to regulate training hours across the board is nonsense. Look at the Dublin schools as they are one step ahead of us with their set ups but we are catching up. As long as ulster benefit in the long run with those kids that want try to reach the next level then that's great. A great number of MCB lads move on to university and rugby becomes a social outlet. Methody have a good honest hard working ethic and every other school could easily aspire to that goal.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Beattiespastie wrote:Most senior squad members drive out to Pirrie and drive in early for training plus the coaching staff give up their own time so the expense is a non issue.
Would the coaching staff be employed if they were not willing to be so generous with their time?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I would say most teaching staff have no issue with putting the hours in after school. Its been my experience that teaching staff fulfil their coaching roles with great pride and that's typified by the GREAT Davy Wells who came out of retirement to coach first years in his late 60s/70s. RBAI lest we forget had a new head of rugby this year who was not a teacher but a full time salaried rugby coach. Now that's moving the goal posts.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Beattiespastie wrote:I would say most teaching staff have no issue with putting the hours in after school. Its been my experience that teaching staff fulfil their coaching roles with great pride and that's typified by the GREAT Davy Wells who came out of retirement to coach first years in his late 60s/70s. RBAI lest we forget had a new head of rugby this year who was not a teacher but a full time salaried rugby coach. Now that's moving the goal posts.
I think your experience may be limited very much to the voluntary grammars (and perhaps one or two who have a greater emphasis on rugby).
www.stoutboys.co.uk
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Beattiespastie wrote:Methody had a bad day at the office compounded by a heavily penalised scrum which afforded them no attacking play. RBAI were given ample opportunity to kill the game from the many penalties the ref awarded them plus Methody played the last period of the game with 14 men after a player was sin binned for a punching an RBAI player. RBAI never looked like scoring a try as Methodys defence was rock solid. I felt sorry for the RBAI 10 as he had no luck on the kicking front but that's cup rugby. Methody will not be that out of sorts again so the wallace game will be a good one.
CAI beat Sullivan over Christmas and dominated the game second half.
That's the spirit!! Get to the final lads and I will have to dig out the old stripy blazer!!! :D
moyletra
Novice

Post by moyletra »

Huey & Henderson's best!
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Just a question: Had a look on the Ulster website at the schools squad page, and Jack Owens among others werent listed, despite still playing for their schools, yet Owens is playing for the Ireland 18s or 19s, is this an error on UR's part, or am I missing something?
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

Owens was part of the 20s squad last season, missed the interpros with injury.thompson bingham lagan and mckee from methody were in the squad too. Perhaps more too.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Ah right get it now, cheers
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
will+i+am
Novice

Post by will+i+am »

Absolutely player welfare. Its not a matter of giving other schools a chance to beat MCB - its about giving them an even keel. Competition is healthy, but not if its always entirely one sided.
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
will+i+am wrote:...... It becomes an expectation at MCB to win now and perhaps a shake up is needed at Branch level. Not many other schools can commit staff members or pupils to such a training regime of before and after school, 5 days a week. Perhaps there needs to be a shake up or a maximum number of training hours per team ......

..... Really think UB need to give guidance on what is and isn't acceptable in terms of hours of training, minimum age for weights and this may give all schools an even keel.
I'm sure there are others better qualified than me to comment on this, and I'm sure there are guidelines in place, but if your comments are to do with player welfare, then fine.

If however, as your final comment suggests, this is just about giving other schools a better chance to beat Methody, then you're way out of line ...... imo.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

anyone know any details for the semi.
Venue i hear is queens but what price is it in and what time is the game at.
ormondlad
Novice

Post by ormondlad »

breakdown wrote:Just a question: Had a look on the Ulster website at the schools squad page, and Jack Owens among others werent listed, despite still playing for their schools, yet Owens is playing for the Ireland 18 schools or 19s, is this an error on UR's part, or am I missing something?
Owens as dublane said was part of Ulster 20s and is involved with Irish 19s.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

will+i+am wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
will+i+am wrote:...... It becomes an expectation at MCB to win now and perhaps a shake up is needed at Branch level. Not many other schools can commit staff members or pupils to such a training regime of before and after school, 5 days a week. Perhaps there needs to be a shake up or a maximum number of training hours per team ......

..... Really think UB need to give guidance on what is and isn't acceptable in terms of hours of training, minimum age for weights and this may give all schools an even keel.
I'm sure there are others better qualified than me to comment on this, and I'm sure there are guidelines in place, but if your comments are to do with player welfare, then fine.

If however, as your final comment suggests, this is just about giving other schools a better chance to beat Methody, then you're way out of line ...... imo.
Absolutely player welfare. Its not a matter of giving other schools a chance to beat MCB - its about giving them an even keel. Competition is healthy, but not if its always entirely one sided.
So despite you player welfare comment, it IS about giving other schools a chance to beat Methody! :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

cheese wrote:anyone know any details for the semi.
Venue i hear is queens but what price is it in and what time is the game at.
WHS v MCB, will be played at Queen’s University Sports Pitches in Belfast on Tuesday 4th March, 2014 kicking off at 14.30. The IRFU (Ulster Branch) has advised spectators to get to the venue early, up to an hour before kick off.
WHS was charging their pupils a fiver.

Edit: that would include the bus.
Last edited by BR on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.stoutboys.co.uk