Hogg to Ulster?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Hogg to Ulster?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Each to their own, but since his name has come up there has been a huge amount of negativity. I understand the notion that an NH NIQ who is an international might seem odd but FFS, have you looked at the number of games we scored 1 try or less this year?

Take a wee gander at that ugly stat & tell me a boy with cutting edge & pace to burn is a bad signing. :duh: In the Doc I trust.

Time to shape up boys, he's coming & he will be quality.
I'm wondering if he is out of favour at Glasgow, will he be out of favour for Scotland? Of course he will not be shackled by any SRU player management regulations. So he will be available more readily than an Irish international.
The PRL route Snipe? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A very good point mind you, the BTSRU can feck off. :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Each to their own, but since his name has come up there has been a huge amount of negativity. I understand the notion that an NH NIQ who is an international might seem odd but FFS, have you looked at the number of games we scored 1 try or less this year?

Take a wee gander at that ugly stat & tell me a boy with cutting edge & pace to burn is a bad signing. :duh: In the Doc I trust.

I'm wondering if he is out of favour at Glasgow, will he be out of favour for Scotland? Of course he will not be shackled by any SRU player management regulations. So he will be available more readily than an Irish international.
The PRL route Snipe? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A very good point mind you, the BTSRU can feck off. :cheers:
It seems to work for McTwattery's shower.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dirty fecker!
He'll never play for us!
He is a superb player who can cover several key positions!
He's signing?
HE'S ULSTER 'TILL HE DIES!!!! :cheers:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
MattMo
Initiate

Post by MattMo »

Related to George Best I hear... He's an Ulster man through and through... not one that I will stand up for, may just stay standing up, but certainly not actively stand up from a sitting position.
Payne to play 13 for Leinster or 15 for Ulster
BigHairyMonster
Initiate

Post by BigHairyMonster »

Named in the Scotland squad for summer tour
Geal'us Dearg a suas - Up the White and Red
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

I think Hogg is a very very good fullback, who still is a youngster with room to get even better. If we do sign him I think our back line gets even better with more options.

Personally I'd be more than happy to add Hogg to our squad, not sure why people seem to be reserved and a bit unhappy with his potential signing. Looking at the games Hogg would miss due to Autumn internationals and the 6 nations, I still believe if Hogg is fit he will play in 15/16 pro 12 games for Ulster, with him also being available for all Euro games. I'd be completely fine with him playing in that number of games.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Windeos wrote:I think Hogg is a very very good fullback, who still is a youngster with room to get even better. If we do sign him I think our back line gets even better with more options.

Personally I'd be more than happy to add Hogg to our squad, not sure why people seem to be reserved and a bit unhappy with his potential signing. Looking at the games Hogg would miss due to Autumn internationals and the 6 nations, I still believe if Hogg is fit he will play in 15/16 pro 12 games for Ulster, with him also being available for all Euro games. I'd be completely fine with him playing in that number of games.
That's more fecking like it. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Windeos wrote:I think Hogg is a very very good fullback, who still is a youngster with room to get even better. If we do sign him I think our back line gets even better with more options.

That's more fecking like it. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
My only hope Baggy is that Cave isn't forced out. I still firmly believe that Darren Cave is the best 13 in Ireland and the way he gets almost forgotten about mystifies me. If KOTH says Cave and Payne are staying along with the potential Hogg signing, I say happy days and I can't wait to see these unbelievably talented young backs playing together. Potentially speaking, we could be watching 3 youngsters who could be Lions in the making, playing in the Ulster back line next year in Jackson, Olding and Hogg. Add those supremely talented kids along with players of the caliber of Pienaar, Trimble, Bowe, Cave and Payne means we will have one of the best back lines in Europe playing for us. That's not even mentioning guys like Marshall, Gilroy, Scholes, Nelson, McCloskey and any other youngster that escapes my mind.

Bring on the new season!!! :fleg: :stout:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I'm reliably informed that Wiehahn is a monster in the tight. Him, Rory and the nugget are going to refuse to engage reverse gear.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Let's not forget that Hogg also lowers the average age of out back 3. Bowe, Payne and Trimble are all hitting 30. Having a young back 3 of Gilroy, Scholes and Hogg is fine by me. Then factor in a midfield of Jackson/Marshall/Olding and we've a talented young backline
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Only problem with that idea is will the IRFU let us keep him for the long run? I can't see them being happy about the full-back position at one of the big provinces being taken up by a NIQ for the next ten years.

You're not wrong that the team's been blunt, but I believe that has more to do with coaching personnel than playing personnel, and more to do with the pack than the backs. When faced with a set defence, we are short of ideas other than a one-out runner to bust it open, and short of players who can actually do that. Particularly when nobody seems able to teach them to run onto it. I reckon we'd have been better off signing a forward who can create space for the backs to attack, rather than another back to attack the space that doesn't exist.

I don't think Hogg's going to be a bad signing, unless he turns out to be a disruptive little bellix, and tbh the circumstances are a little ominous on that score, but he's got too much talent to be a bad signing on the pitch. I just think there could have been better signings. Destroy my logic if you will.

Shame we can't give Payne to Leinster in exchange for one of their NIQ slots for a couple of years. Would suit everyone down to the ground.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Nightsoil wrote:Only problem with that idea is will the IRFU let us keep him for the long run? I can't see them being happy about the full-back position at one of the big provinces being taken up by a NIQ for the next ten years
Depends if Humphs has said he is a fullback, could be a spare winger !
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I'm reliably informed that Wiehahn is a monster in the tight. Him, Rory and the nugget are going to refuse to engage reverse gear.
Snipe, he is 25, and I accept he comes from a "manly" tradition of scrummaging area, but at 25 he will not be near the polished article and no matter how good he is there will be a reverse gear. Factor in the change in engine room.

Look, I'm worried, and I'll stay worried until such time as I see us monster a decent pack next season. Then I'll worry about what happens if Herbst doesn't have 80 minutes in him or is injured.

I notice my break down concerns didn't draw a reply?
There are clear concerns with no real backup for Henry at 7 and it's looking more and more like Ferris is going to retire, it really leaves a hole in the back row. But from the snippets on here from people it seems we're looking at IQ back row guys from the Southern Hemisphere to add to the team, which depending on the type of guy brought in, could really strengthen us in the back row because clearly we are lacking any depth at all behind Henry. I'm not sure how ready Joyce, Dow or Frankie Taggart are to competing for some backup minutes for next season, probably only Joyce who will be anywhere near getting game time.

I'm not concerned about Herbst. I don't think people realise how good Herbst is due to not many people having seen the guy play. You don't play tighthead prop for a South African Super 15 franchise at the age of 21 and make 40 odd appearances unless you've got something about you. Since the new scrum laws I believe Herbst will be even more destructive and I can't wait to see him playing for Ulster. The good Dr seems to rate him, “I have no doubt that he will be a huge success at the province and that he will follow in the footsteps of the other overseas players that have come to Ravenhill in making a major contribution to the success of Ulster Rugby.” So he'll do me no bother. Also, with the emergence of Herring and also Warwick we should be alright in that department. Props for next year:

Loosehead
Callum Black (28)
Ruaidhri Murphy (27)
Andrew Warwick (23)

Tighthead
Wiehahn Herbst (26)
Rickly Lutton (28)
Dave Ryan (28)
Declan Fitzpatrick (31)

Not sure who would be in the academy next year prop wise, maybe Chris Taylor ends up there I don't know really. Warwick seems to be capable on both sides so even if Fitzpatrick's situation doesn't improve, we should be alright. No idea what's happening with Bronson Ross for next year or if he is worth keeping on or whatever.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I'm reliably informed that Wiehahn is a monster in the tight. Him, Rory and the nugget are going to refuse to engage reverse gear.
Snipe, he is 25, and I accept he comes from a "manly" tradition of scrummaging area, but at 25 he will not be near the polished article and no matter how good he is there will be a reverse gear. Factor in the change in engine room.

Look, I'm worried, and I'll stay worried until such time as I see us monster a decent pack next season. Then I'll worry about what happens if Herbst doesn't have 80 minutes in him or is injured.

I'm a backs man and know little about forward play, front row even less. I do like the look of a balanced front row and by balanced I mean 3 guys of similar height with a slopy shouldered tighthead and a square loosehead and that's exactly what this trio gives us. Now this could be a load of cobblers that I have cooked up in my own head or it may have some semblance of truth. I'm sure some will advise.
I fully expect Humph to pull an IQ openside out of the hat. As the breakdown is an area of concern.
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

Windeos wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:

There are clear concerns with no real backup for Henry at 7 and it's looking more and more like Ferris is going to retire, it really leaves a hole in the back row. But from the snippets on here from people it seems we're looking at IQ back row guys from the Southern Hemisphere to add to the team, which depending on the type of guy brought in, could really strengthen us in the back row because clearly we are lacking any depth at all behind Henry. I'm not sure how ready Joyce, Dow or Frankie Taggart are to competing for some backup minutes for next season, probably only Joyce who will be anywhere near getting game time.

I'm not concerned about Herbst. I don't think people realise how good Herbst is due to not many people having seen the guy play. You don't play tighthead prop for a South African Super 15 franchise at the age of 21 and make 40 odd appearances unless you've got something about you. Since the new scrum laws I believe Herbst will be even more destructive and I can't wait to see him playing for Ulster. The good Dr seems to rate him, “I have no doubt that he will be a huge success at the province and that he will follow in the footsteps of the other overseas players that have come to Ravenhill in making a major contribution to the success of Ulster Rugby.” So he'll do me no bother. Also, with the emergence of Herring and also Warwick we should be alright in that department. Props for next year:

Loosehead
Callum Black (28)
Ruaidhri Murphy (27)
Andrew Warwick (23)

Tighthead
Wiehahn Herbst (26)
Rickly Lutton (28)
Dave Ryan (28)
Declan Fitzpatrick (31)

Not sure who would be in the academy next year prop wise, maybe Chris Taylor ends up there I don't know really. Warwick seems to be capable on both sides so even if Fitzpatrick's situation doesn't improve, we should be alright. No idea what's happening with Bronson Ross for next year or if he is worth keeping on or whatever.
Maybe see jonny simpson the hinch prop come back into academy after 2 years playing in sa. Serious player if he can put size on. Better player than taylor