Should Ulster Play.....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Should Ulster Play.....

Post by Snipe Watson »

You are right, but it appears Leinster do not exercise that right.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

promenader wrote:
jackthelad wrote:
promenader wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
promenader wrote:Why should Munster, Leinster and Connacht stop flying their national flag? All the counties within those provinces fall within the same political jurisdiction, so are properly represented by their national flag. Moreover, there is no contention surrounding the national flag in that state. It's not the same for Ulster on either score, as you well know. Three of the nine counties aren't covered by the union flag, while the flag itself deeply divides the population within the remaining six counties. Given those circumstances, why on earth would a business that needs to grow its support base and broaden its appeal throughout Ulster choose to fly this flag?
Then fly both, I have no problem with that. Answer that one Billy big ball :roll:
I've already answered it. 'the flag itself deeply divides the population within the remaining six counties.'
Why would a business fly a flag that alienates a large section of its potential customers?
That's a good point. Why indeed would an organisation that purports to represent all of Ulster do so? It would be really bad for the future. Why indeed then, when the shoe is on the other metaphoric foot, is the Irish flag, which might be seen to 'deeply divide' some, then flown on international days and not also the flag that represents a significant proportion of the rugby demographic. If you want inclusivity it has it actually include all of us. Strangely enough, we aren't included now in many things from the IRFU including representative games, free to air t.v. and wait until the RWC comes to Ireland and see what dregs are flushed our way. These issues for me are far more important than a rag on a stick or tasteless and vilely coloured rugby paraphenalia.

My personal view is that I couldn't care less about such issues. They can fly the flag of Outer Mongolia for all I care. I don't and never have had an issue with an emblem which is lawful. I do have problems with the plethora of verminous paramilitary crokk and drug dealer 'flegs'.
I'm not defending what happens at the Aviva on international days, as I don't think it's right. In my view, the only flag necessary on international match days is the 4 provinces one. The only song that should be sung is Ireland's Call, while the President's Salute should be enough to greet the arrival of himself. I was defending the right of Leinster, Munster and Connacht to fly their national flag at their respective grounds if they want to, while trying to explain why the same 'right' doesn't apply in Ulster.
Agree

feck the ivory coast too

Anscombe Out
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Snipe, see what you have done here. Are you sorry? Are you? Are you? This whole thread should now be declared >Off_Topic_Man
and locked by the mods - please!!!
Bo***cks to Brexit
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

rocky wrote:Snipe, see what you have done here. Are you sorry? Are you? Are you? This whole thread should now be declared >Off_Topic_Man
and locked by the mods - please!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: not one bit sorry.
What else are we going to talk about?
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

I think we should wear orange. :oman:

:duck:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Wonder could Kukri come up with a bowler hat themed head guard?
LeinsterLad
Novice

Post by LeinsterLad »

Kofi Annan wrote: I also remember the Union Flag flown at all home games, do you? As I have said before I note that Munster , Leinster and Connacht are all flying their national flag at home games, god forbid the first person asks them to stop, they will instantly become a biased , racist or bully, but good old Ulster do not fly theirs as not to upset anyone, that's the ulster way,
Since the Ulster branch of the Irish Rugby Football Union only represents the unionist portion of Belfast, I think the home strip should be Orange with a massive Union Jack on the back and William O' Orange on a majestic stallion emblazoned on the front.

The changing rooms should also be relocated to the far end of the falls road and the team should march all the way from there to the pitch before and after each half, to the tune of drums and whistles.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

LeinsterLad wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote: I also remember the Union Flag flown at all home games, do you? As I have said before I note that Munster , Leinster and Connacht are all flying their national flag at home games, god forbid the first person asks them to stop, they will instantly become a biased , racist or bully, but good old Ulster do not fly theirs as not to upset anyone, that's the ulster way,
Since the Ulster branch of the Irish Rugby Football Union only represents the unionist portion of Belfast, I think the home strip should be Orange with a massive Union Jack on the back and William O' Orange on a majestic stallion emblazoned on the front.

The changing rooms should also be relocated to the far end of the falls road and the team should march all the way from there to the pitch before and after each half, to the tune of drums and whistles.

Now now, just because you don't have an atmosphere to speak of doesn't mean you can come here and mouth off :fleg:
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

LeinsterLad wrote:

Ignorance appears to be bliss in your neck of the woods LL.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Maybe we should play in black until cowboy leaves and the fans learn how to be more like real rugby supporters,shame booo shame booooooooo.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
LeinsterLad
Novice

Post by LeinsterLad »

Russ wrote:
LeinsterLad wrote:

Now now, just because you don't have an atmosphere to speak of doesn't mean you can come here and mouth off :fleg:
:) It's by no means intended as mouthing off, just pointing out the ludicrosity of politicising everything, as with original quote. Can't some fans just enjoy supporting their team without the urge to draw a line of it belonging to one side or another of society and move past the need for willy waving! Isn't the idea of two strangers from either side of the historical social divide of Belfast / Northern Ireland, standing side by side in the terrace, wearing the same jersey and hugging each other at a final whistle of winning a Pro12 / European Cup a beautiful goal? I know the sporting culture of Belfast / NI would have rugby predominantly supported by unionist parts of society, but why try to isolate it as such rather than try to make it an all encompassing, shared passion that forgets bigotry and fighting and is a symbol for a community at large and a vehicle to build bridges and friendships. That is what sport is all about, the sporting nature, bringing people together, and above all sports, that is what rugby holds at it's core. Look at rugby in South Africa for example, the bringing together of communities through sport transcended history and united a nation and moved it past a sad and troubled past.

Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic, but when I see political flags at matches or I see posters wanting union jacks flown high (which is fine, by the way, but I think the motivation behind the thinking is not), it fills me with despair. Your community is stronger together, and the time for willy waving is gone. The sooner some realise it the better and if you ended up having 25,000 / 30,000 people at every home game 10 years down the line with a corner filled in, second tier added Ravenhill and the budget for playing squad that goes with it, would that not be a more fulfilling achievement than having a union flag nailed to a mast and a team isolated with a lower glass ceiling?

Speech made to the backing tune of "I believe I can fly" by R Kelly
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Wondering if LL understands what a pish take is ...
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

LeinsterLad wrote:
Russ wrote:
LeinsterLad wrote:

:) It's by no means intended as mouthing off, just pointing out the ludicrosity of politicising everything, as with original quote. Can't some fans just enjoy supporting their team without the urge to draw a line of it belonging to one side or another of society and move past the need for willy waving! Isn't the idea of two strangers from either side of the historical social divide of Belfast / Northern Ireland, standing side by side in the terrace, wearing the same jersey and hugging each other at a final whistle of winning a Pro12 / European Cup a beautiful goal? I know the sporting culture of Belfast / NI would have rugby predominantly supported by unionist parts of society, but why try to isolate it as such rather than try to make it an all encompassing, shared passion that forgets biased and fighting and is a symbol for a community at large and a vehicle to build bridges and friendships. That is what sport is all about, the sporting nature, bringing people together, and above all sports, that is what rugby holds at it's core. Look at rugby in South Africa for example, the bringing together of communities through sport transcended history and united a nation and moved it past a sad and troubled past.

Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic, but when I see political flags at matches or I see posters wanting union jacks flown high (which is fine, by the way, but I think the motivation behind the thinking is not), it fills me with despair. Your community is stronger together, and the time for willy waving is gone. The sooner some realise it the better and if you ended up having 25,000 / 30,000 people at every home game 10 years down the line with a corner filled in, second tier added Ravenhill and the budget for playing squad that goes with it, would that not be a more fulfilling achievement than having a union flag nailed to a mast and a team isolated with a lower glass ceiling?

Speech made to the backing tune of "I believe I can fly" by R Kelly
You have to forgive us LL. It's hard to break out of the siege mentality.
However there is a parity of esteem issue which the IRFU love to ignore in the hope that is goes away, but it's a bit of a stinker and keeps on popping up. A bit of a thorn in the flesh if you will. The venerable and soon to be missed George Hook is the only commentator who has had the guts to name it by it's name on TV or in print.
Here's the thing:
The IRFU subtly (sometimes not so subtly) airbrush out any suggestion that 2/3 of Ulster is part of the UK. It's the bit we don't talk about at the dinner table, the wart on Aunt Gertie's nose. I would love the IRFU to wholeheartedly embrace the pluralist nature of Ireland and Irishness, but it just seems to be a step too far.

ps if you reply with, "sure we all stand for GSTQ when England come to visit" I'll come down the M1 and give you a boot in the Aras >EW
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Hands up if your a willy waver.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Kofi Annan wrote:Hands up if your a willy waver.
Hands up is the only way to do it Kofi >EW
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall