Stephen Ferris Retires - Official

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Re: Stephen Ferris Retires - Official

Post by scrum5 »

The price that has been paid for our pleasure......

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/provincia ... to-injury/
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

It's a professional sport and guys play it for a living and for the love of the game.
In reality many guys, including myself have aches and pains or worse that were picked up playing rugby, but very few would go back and do it any differently and I'd imagine Stevie is no different.
oxford-red
Novice

Post by oxford-red »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27452442

The big man is close to tears at the end and so was I. Absolute warrior who gave his all ever time it was asked of him. :red: :fleg:
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Gutted for the big man but he should have few regrets. I suppose it was almost inevitable the size of him and how he played the game that he would put too much strain on the body but just sad we didn't get another few years out of him.

The highlight reels will live long in the memory. One of the very best we have ever produced, certainly the most athletically gifted. Man was a freak.

Good luck Stevie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Monumental player and a great guy .Thanks for the years of superb Rugby and good luck in whatever endeavour you strive in :fleg:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Once a Knight wrote:I am terribly sad that his career is over.

Celtic league in 2006 with his Province, a Grand Slam with the International team in 2009 and a Lion.

Throw in that he carried a Province for years with some of the most wonderfully brutal and majestic rugby I've ever seen.

The man is a legend and a seriously nice guy.

I hope he has a great life after rugby. :red: :fleg:
Indeed, he stayed when others packed their bags and left and that alone elevates his status among the fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

He achieved so much
and yet I'm left feeling he had so much more to give
A MAGNIFICENT player
Will be fondly remembered and sorely missed
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

rocky wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:When you read Shontayne Hape's artical about retiring after 20 concussions and think that guy will have demntia in about 15 years ... you realise just what these guys put themselves through week in week out
Is that a medical opinion, fleg - or just ill-informed speculation. The problem is that there are some who will read it and take it as gospel. How many former players (at any level) do you know who have developed any form of dementia within 15 years of quitting? I don't know a single one and I know plenty who played at a very high level and are now in their sixties and seventies.
I don't intend to be rude but I think these are very sensitive things to discuss and there has already been a good deal of hysterical stuff in the media. We don't need to add to it.
Rocky aul han, I aways respect your posts and knowing that this is an area you have championed here often.
I just wanted to clear up any potential ambiguity. It was not an informed medical opinion. I wasn't trying to be hysterical or sensational. But as I do coach school age kids I, like you, have probably been receiving or actively reading any new articles or material that could be of use - maybe too much for.my own good. I really personally fear there is an epidemic of head related injuries about to manifest itself on our game, the likes of which we have never seen before. When I played people were nowhere near as big, fast strong or fit. would you say today's game bares little resemblance to our day???

I was talking to a former Ulster player about impact studies and the forces going through a professional players body now is scary, throw in basically assaults clearing out rucks, prelatching where one player tackles about 40 stone, and my new worry chop 'tackles' where.shoulders are used to hit the knee joint.

I really worry we're entering a new era of 'boxing' injuries which older players did not fave as often.

What did you make of Hapes article? or the rumours about Clarke and Reid - genuinely interested. Always value your replies!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

scrum5 wrote:The price that has been paid for our pleasure......

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/provincia ... to-injury/
Jesus that's wild, feel even worse for him now :(
gigoer
Novice

Post by gigoer »

Hi guys,

A Leinster man here :blueafro: who is also a regular visitor to Ravenhill with me Ulster missus and have had the privilege of seeing Ferris in action on your turf and in the Aviva too.

Even beyond that, so many great memories, the human battering ram in the WC 2011, the HC quarter against Munster, I could go on

It's not just Ulster's loss but Rugby's loss. A shame even if it was expected. I hope Ulster keep him on in some capacity.

Legend.

:stout:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cornerfleg wrote:When you read Shontayne Hape's artical about retiring after 20 concussions and think that guy will have demntia in about 15 years ... you realise just what these guys put themselves through week in week out.

Stevie wasnt a machine ... he has no knees left - though he trained and played like he was a machine.

It's scary when you see 28 year olds in such a way.

He gave us all a lot of pleasure, now it's time to try and live the rest of his life in a body with some kind of normality.
The Hape article (the Sky Sports one that I read anyway) is a damning indictment of some of the attitudes or at least players perceptions of attitudes toward player health. My understanding of the UR attitude is that it is the polar opposite of what Hape talks about. Player welfare is the principal consideration.
As you say Fleg, the game has changed, players are bigger and the collisions are much more ferocious now than they ever were. I worry that in some areas attitudes and protocols remain in the 1980s or 90s and are not fit for purpose.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bugger. :(
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

The word Legend is often used about sportsmen, some of whom were just about ok.

Stevie was a proper legend - so many memories of great Ferris moments.

Probably the best player to have pulled on an Ulster jersey - ever!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

AndyB wrote:Probably the best player to have pulled on an Ulster jersey - ever!
Carlsberg don't do Ulster rugby players, but if they did .......
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Still gutting to hear the official announcement. He can never be replaced, he is a one off. A shortened career that was already blighted by injuries. The guy worked so hard to come back from injury, that later proved to be career ending, so hard in fact that he set all kinds of records in doing so. We need him in the coaching setup. Imagine Stevie, a player denied the opportunity to play on, motivating lads too work their ass off for the team.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?